1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement on f250 v10 4X4 2005 6.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM
gillnielsen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine replacement on f250 v10 4X4 2005 6.8

Please if you could help -and it would be much appreciated. I have 68,000 miles on my 2005 f250 super duty, v10 6.8 4x4 crew cab, and I have been told by a ford truck service tech that I need a new engine, and I was wondering if anyone had experience in recommending such. I Live in Chicago and have been told that a jasper engine or a Spartan atk engine would be options in my preliminary investigations with 2 shops outside Chicago based upon some earlier help from the forum. -it seems like $9,000 is the magic number -but I am hesitant to do so because the trade in value or resell value is only a few thousand dollars more. I do not use it much most miles are from taking the kids camping up to Montana and back for last 9 years. Any Input would be appreciated. Thank Gill Nielsen

Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What determined needing a new engine? Personally I would get a second opinion, 68,000 miles is very low and the engine shouldn't be effected unless it was severely neglected.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From what ive read places like jasper and the likes have a spotty record. I would rather have a local guy build the engine. Another option is either a new crate engine from ford or getting a used engine from a wrecking yard. I have bought used from a wrecking yard before and was able to get a warranty for the engine. I would first want to know caused you engine to go out though

Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM
redford
Received 1,559 Likes on 908 Posts
You need a new engine at 68,000 miles?

If you don't mind, can you tell us why the truck was taken to the service department in the first place? What are you trying to fix?

EDIT: On thinking a minute, was this V-10 in a motorhome type vehicle? I've seen or heard about low mileage V-10s getting destroyed, usually happens after they have been sitting for a few months. Once started, my theory is that the "aged" gasoline causes an injector to stick open, which causes a piston to hydrolock. The V-10 torque tries to overcome the hydrolock, resulting in catastrophic failure.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
did you run low on oil? crack a head?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 PM
je5
Senior User
Lots of defective gas injectors in 2005 causing hydro lock.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
if you were to ask for advice....my applogies for being direct....with the gap between repair cost being so close to sell value....i would sell the truck as a project truck and take that money and the repair estimate and buy another vehicle.

someone who has the time and know how can repair or swap the engine them self and save the labor charges.

swapping an engine is just a pandora's box of more problems down the road related to connectors and linkages that were agrevated during the engine swap.

been thru the engine swap senerio three times and the only time I had no regrets and problems was when in did it myself.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I see what fritz is getting at, but there's no way I'd sell it as a project truck. You can find a good used engine at a junkyard for less than a couple thousand dollars. Assuming 10-15 hours labor to install it, you should be able to get out the door for under $5,000. Like everyone else, I'm very curious to see the circumstances here. These engines rarely suffer a catastrophic failure.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I see what fritz is getting at, but there's no way I'd sell it as a project truck. You can find a good used engine at a junkyard for less than a couple thousand dollars. Assuming 10-15 hours labor to install it, you should be able to get out the door for under $5,000. Like everyone else, I'm very curious to see the circumstances here. These engines rarely suffer a catastrophic failure.
I agree with above ^ and 5k would be more than enough.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
I too would like to know what happened to the engine. I have a 06 F350 with a 5.4 that was serviced every 5000 miles at a local truck service shop that lost the engine at 95,000 miles. The engine completely locked up on the highway. The local Ford dealer tore into the engine and said it looked as if it had never had an oil change. I had it towed to a retired Ford mechanic that put a Jasper engine in it with a 3 year unlimited miles engine in it. I paid $4500 for the engine and $1500 for him to install it. It would not run until he towed it to the dealer to program the computer and then the instrument cluster went out, another trip to dealer to program it so all the functions would work. So all in all I have about $7k in an 06 utility bed truck . On the good side , the tech i had in the truck kept the truck in great shape. LAst week at 129,000 miles, I had to do ball joints at another $523. Its paid for and until Ford comes out with a ecoboost in an F350, I think I will just keep driving it.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 PM
gillnielsen
New User
Thank You for input on engime replacement>

Seriously and quite impressed with everyone's input: Thank You everyone! Death in family prevented replies to you generous sharing of advice until now. About three months ago I had engine oil changed by local gas station mechanic.; a month later the oil pressure dropped and light went on concerning low oil pressure; I checked oil and level was ok, then took it to mechanic he said bring it back next time it happened so a few days of driving later same problem occurred and I towed it back to him; he said last oil change showed oil very dirty with sludge and maybe engine needed repairs; did not trust him anymore at that point and had truck towed to another mechanic who said engine was not froze but he needed an exorbitant amount of money to check codes, so did not trust that and had truck towed to a ford truck dealer and was told magnet pulled out a lot of metal particles and they recommended a new engine. SO I then checked around for options as Ford wanted thirteen thousand dollars and came up with a few options from Mechanics concerning engine replacements but am afraid to put thousands into such for fear a new engine or refurbished one will not be cost effective or worst more repairs related to new engine. So. A quandary. Thank you for everyone's input. basically half the miles were put in driving back and forth to Montana from Chicago for camping trips, and the other half back and forth with city driving with no unusual or constant heavy loads. I have to assume the engine was neglected with oil changes as suggested -though I believe I did keep up with same in a manner that would not ruin the engine. Thank You! ( Redford -thanks - the truck did sit for a two months in an unheated garage in extreme for Chicago fridgid winter weather) -your explanation has credence.) So at this point I must have it towed from the ford dealer as I have paid them the diagnostic fee; and I must make a decision. If I choose to sell it as is with a truthful explanation as to its condition -how would I and to who? Or should I continue looking for a mechanic. What of the Spartan refurbished engine? Again thanks! Everyone -you've been most kind. Semper Fidelis gill nielsen

Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 PM
TCcruzn
New User
I just had a reman Ford V10 put in my 2005 F250 by a Ford Dealer here in California. they quoted me $7500 and they were spot on the price when i paid for it. It came with a great warranty that will be honored at any Ford Dealer in the country. Since everything is more expensive in California, I am amazed at the estimates you are hearing. My Ford dealer even had a better price than an independant shop who sells Jasper engines. Keep trying to find a reasonable deal. they are out there.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jasper products are not all they are talked up to be. Personally if the truck is not that rusty I would call around for engine prices. Ford engines have the best warranty IMO, 5 years unlimited miles. You might also have good luck finding a low mileage engine from a wreck

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Is it possible that the oil pump went out slowly?
I never liked the gauges that they have in these newer trucks/cars.
...Gage

Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the notion of finding an engine out of a lower mileage wreck, but there is another option here that no one has mentioned.
Depending upon your tax bracket --- You may want to consider donating it to a charitable organization or school and taking the write-off... Talk to your tax accountant first.

Sorry to hear of your troubles - I have a 99 F250 4x4 SD with 177k on it and it still runs like new and uses no oil.

Regards - Randy

Quick Reply: Engine replacement on f250 v10 4X4 2005 6.8