1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56' Steering column replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 04:54 AM
rfillion
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was suggested to use a Aerostar IFS on my 56' by one of our good players on this site.

Now that I know which way to go with the IFS, could someone give me a couple of suggestion for a 56' steering column replacement. Which model's and yr's would be the best fit for the 56' with a Aerostar IFS.

Another question I have regarding the Aerostar IFS, can I use the power rack and use the components from the Aerostar or is there another way to go here.

The engine that will mounted over this IFS will be a 429, do you think that I will have a weight problem ??

And assuming that I can use the power rack components from the Aerostar, do you that I will some issue's here ???

Thanks for the help so far, this has made my project alot more fun now that I know that there is real people that understand "us" crazy 56'er

Old 07-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Stapler123
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know much about your ifs setup to say that what i got will work, but with the toyota power steering box I have a 60's chevy can tilt column that works great, but the only requirment my setup has for a column is that it doesnt have a ignition on it. I can't say I know what challenges your setup comes with.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:01 PM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User

I have an Aerostar IFS in our '55. The steering column layout will determine your approach to column and linkage mounting.

What we did was use the Aerostar rack in it's original location, with the steering shaft pointing nearly straight up. I used a tilt column from a Grand Marquis, mounted higher on the firewall than the stock '55. This allowed me to use the Aerostar u joints and intermediate shaft as well. Clearance is close, but works with the 5.0, the 429 may be more difficult.

Another approach is to make a bracket to rotate the rack rearward, allowing a more traditional column mounting angle. Think that Ozzie1 is doing his this way.

In either case, I don't see why you couldn't use the Aerostar power steering. If possible, consider getting a whole Aerostar, not just the IFS. We found a lot of useful hardware that we wouldn't have gotten if we had a scrapyard cut one out. Ended up using the power steering lines, front sway bar and sold some stuff on ebay too. Paid 300 for the van with a bad trans, then found the seller had just replaced the rack & ends.

Check my gallery for pics of the progress so far.

Ed

Old 07-07-2003, 09:11 PM
ozzie 1
Senior User

Hi Ray, I am fairly sure that if you use a big engine of any kind you will have to rotate the rack to get the input shaft at a better angle. I don't have the engine that I am going to use yet, so I have not moved mine yet. It would not be a big job, you would have to cut a notch in crossmember for the input shaft to get enough clearance. Not a big deal as long as you box it in, probably a piece of 3" pipe cut in half would do. An other option that I am looking at is to use the rack from a 98 or newer Ford Ranger. They are very close in size. I think I will end up useing the Aerostar rack seeing as I already have a good one. Good luck
Feel free to contact me I you go this route and need help. Wayne