6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Code reader

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Code reader

I'm putting together a travel kit for an extended trip we are taking with our 5er late this summer. I'm about to order an EGT sensor or two along with a code reader. Speaking of the code reader, what's the minimum that I need to download problem codes. An Edge CTS would be nice, but I can probably buy a couple tanks of fuel for something that I really don't feel I need. Are there any other items that would be considered a good idea? EGR sensor? or???

Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I use the SCT hand held tuner from one of my old Mustangs to read and clear the codes.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I'm putting together a travel kit for an extended trip we are taking with our 5er late this summer. I'm about to order an EGT sensor or two along with a code reader. Speaking of the code reader, what's the minimum that I need to download problem codes. An Edge CTS would be nice, but I can probably buy a couple tanks of fuel for something that I really don't feel I need. Are there any other items that would be considered a good idea? EGR sensor? or???

Not sure but you may want a NOX sensor too. Cant' remember where I read this, but was considering one for my (toolbox)!
Maybe some one else will chime in on this.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Since you're taking an extended trip, the Edge CTS might be a good investment. I have never regretted getting mine for checking codes (yes an EGT sensor code), watching temps and too many other things to mention and it serves dual purpose with an inexpensive license plate camera for hitching, etc. I'm not endorsing the product, but consider it a worthwhile tool for monitoring the truck's vitals. With all the technology in these trucks, it's a fun thing to do.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cheapest route is a bluetooth wireless type code reader, for about $25. The model you need depends on what phone you have, droid or crApple. If you have a droid you can get the torque app for free. With torque you can also monitor any available signal like the CTS.

This is what I have and it works well.
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

I consider a code reader and a spare sensor absolutely necessary in a travel kit.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Dang - wish I could justify an Edge, but can't. And as far as phone app - so far we are just using a very basic Samsung Convoy. That will change in 2-3 few months, but would need to bail from Verizon and the cost of a replacement phone until that contract expires. Maybe I'll just take a chance on one of the basics AMAZON or similar list.

Thanks guys!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
How about a cheap Android tablet for the viewing? Can get the small ones for <100$ if they'll run the Torque app.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
I have several code readers, from cheap to expensive but use my H&S tuner in the truck to read codes. For a basic unit that does what you need, consider the following they work fine. This the same as my cheap one.

OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool

Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
I have several code readers, from cheap to expensive but use my H&S tuner in the truck to read codes. For a basic unit that does what you need, consider the following they work fine. This the same as my cheap one.

OBD II & CAN Deluxe Scan Tool
That one is about what I think that I can use. My truck is stock so really don't need the bells and whistles. Ford ESP for another 4 years makes me keep it mostly that way but have this forum's Garage Car - which is far from stock

Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 AM
The Provider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had a sensor fail yesterday, the code read and clear is great to get another 10 miles before it shuts the truck down again. I am considering a chip to delete the egt sensors altogether in order to not be stranded for an hour or two for the truck to cool down. This is the second time in 6 months this has happened. First was 900 miles from home and second was 80 miles from home. They go when they go.

Does anyone else agree that the bad egt sensor shutting the engine down at an instant could prove to be a liability on FORD?? Scares the **** out of me.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Provider
had a sensor fail yesterday, the code read and clear is great to get another 10 miles before it shuts the truck down again. I am considering a chip to delete the egt sensors altogether in order to not be stranded for an hour or two for the truck to cool down. This is the second time in 6 months this has happened. First was 900 miles from home and second was 80 miles from home. They go when they go.

Does anyone else agree that the bad egt sensor shutting the engine down at an instant could prove to be a liability on FORD?? Scares the **** out of me.
cant just delete the sensors.. have to mod the computer program to not use them.. and remove the DPF filter, else it will fill and clog the exhaust.

here is a service bulletin about the sensor connector
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14376087

as for >Does anyone else agree that the bad egt sensor shutting the engine down at an instant could prove to be a liability on FORD?

the program designers are in a bind.. the sensors indicate they are approaching uncontrollable fire conditions.. (right or wrong), the developers think they have no choice..
worse liability if someone dies in a fire they could have prevented.
and apparently they don't get any useful warning.. we're ok, we're ok, we're ok, crap we got trouble, shut down NOW!..

now, one can argue that they need a different sensor system that would GIVE them warning.. but you won't replace a million of those on running trucks.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I just purchased a bluetooth OBDII tool that I can use an APP with my Iphone, Ipad, and Windows PC. I have a full Win 8.1 10" tablet with bluetooth in it. I paud $5 shipped from Amazon for the adapter. Others are available - including a WiFi one that is around $20.

Not going to really be using it all that often after I figure it out. And then use it to program my replacement key. Since I always have my phone with me, it means I always have my code reader/clearer too.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 AM
The Provider
New User
Will also be getting a code reader, sounds like bluetooth will give more detailed info??

Back to the liabilty on the engine shut down, it happens at anytime and anywhere. Twice has happened to me while driving. I can think fast enough to get it off the road and use emergency brake to stop and strong enough to steer without power, but most might not be able to do this. My wife does drive the truck and we usually have our 3 kids with us. So when this shuts down crossing a highway or in the middle of 4 lanes better be prepaired to deal with it quick.

Does this problem exist on the 13 model? We own one but only 10k miles on it.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Not the reader itself, but the software that uses it that you can get... You are limited in the all in one code reader. I just learned about ForScan and I had heard of Torque Pro before - but it appears ForScan can do more.

Good question on the 13s - the same question could be asked of radiator and transmission failures. We have seen some members post about them, but there are not as many higher mileage 13s on the road as there are 11s. (Remember 11s came out early 2010 - so you had 1.5 years of Ford selling only MY2011 SDs.)

My only thought is that someone posted that there is a different part # for the EGT sensor, maybe there are changes that make them more durable?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
A Scangauge2 is very convenient. You can monitor 4 PIDs at a time and it's small enough to sit in the corner on the dash. It'll pull and clear codes etc. They publish a list of Ford codes to monitor egr, dpf PIDs, etc that you can program into to the unit. I leave this one semipermantly mounted and running all the time

An OBDLink MX works with any Android device but won't necessarily read all of the PIDs custom to our trucks beyond the standard obd pids. It has a very cool app and display that runs on a phone or tablet. It'll even log and map on top of a Google map in realtime

I use an Autoenginuity for detailed scans. It runs on a laptop and is a bit clunky to use while driving, however, the Ford Enhanced bundle can perform a healthy subset of what the dealer tools can see and do

I play with all 3 of these :-)

Quick Reply: Code reader