Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master cyl line removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Master cyl line removal

How do you remove that plastic hose that goes through the transmission. Im ready to pull the 5spd in my 88 bronco and i dont know how to remove the hose so i can drop the trans. I dont want to take the whole master cyl off.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:20 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
There is a plastic clip that holds the line to the slave cylinder. You have to reach inside the bellhousing to disconnect it, so you will have to at least slide the tranny back far enough to get a small screwdriver in there with your arm.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Ok. Ill work it out. When i disconnect it is it gonna leak fluid all over too

Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM
andym
Post Fiend
It wouldn't be any fun if it didn't.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Of course lol

Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM
kawamatt2
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, none of that is correct. The slave cylinder has a spring loaded clip that can be pushed in (while pushing the line into the fitting hard) and then the line can be pulled off the slave cylinder. Google "Clutch line removal tool" to see one of these tools. Then get under your truck and look. You don't need to pull the transmission back just to disconnect the slave cylinder. Also only the fluid in the slave cylinder (not much) will leak out as the clutch line has a check valve on the end that blocks fluid when the line is removed from the slave.

Watch this video starting at 1:30.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the clip is right next to the slave cylinder. I thought I remember having to slide the tranny back to get to mine.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
After i got it out there was a roll pin holding it in. I didnt see any clip. I pounded the pin out and with a little tug the line came off

Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 PM
kawamatt2
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No there is no clip right next to the slave cylinder. The clip is further out, so you don't have to pull the transmission back just to disconnect the line. That makes no sense. There is a roll pin right next to the slave that holds the hard line (which has the clip) but there is no reason to take that out. It comes with the new slave cylinder.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Well i gotta get a new slave cyl anyway but i took the pin out cause i couldnt figure out any other way to disconnect it.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Kawamatt2 was correct. Most have the steel fingers which are common in fuel lines holding it in. You need that tool that pushes in the outer sleeve to let those steel fingers release and the line is supposed to pop out, like the fuel lines, saving the leaking that would otherwise occur .... Those lines are almost 50 bux I believe, so it was worth it to me to do it right ...

Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Is it the same tool as the fuel line tool

Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fordka, your thread title is "Master cylinder line removal". You are correct about the pin that keeps the line on the master cylinder. When I replaced the slave cylinder on my truck. I had a heck of a time trying to get the QD mechanism to move. I eventually used the screw driver method to get the line separated from the slave. It wasn't until latter that I found out that I was not using the special tool correctly, lol. I was actually trying to push the entire tool toward the transmission as opposed to using it as a fulcrum that pushes the plastic sleeve inward to release connector.

As for your last question; no it isn't the same tool. But the locking concept is the same.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM
JRS2
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Bamba
fordka, your thread title is "Master cylinder line removal". You are correct about the pin that keeps the line on the master cylinder. When I replaced the slave cylinder on my truck. I had a heck of a time trying to get the QD mechanism to move. I eventually used the screw driver method to get the line separated from the slave. It wasn't until latter that I found out that I was not using the special tool correctly, lol. I was actually trying to push the entire tool toward the transmission as opposed to using it as a fulcrum that pushes the plastic sleeve inward to release connector.

As for your last question; no it isn't the same tool. But the locking concept is the same.
Ed:

I agree with most of what you indicated. However at the slave cylinder that approx 3" sleeve assembly is also affixed to the slave cylinder by a pin - that is what fordka referred to as dismantiling. When that is dismantled the fluid will drain, like he indicated. Otherwise I agree with the rest of what you indicated, went thru basically the same ordeal ....

Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Altho when i did get it apart none of the fluid drained haha. But i did manage to tip the trans upside down and spill trans fluid all over. That made uo for it.

Quick Reply: Master cyl line removal