6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 6.7L Blown Engine @ 100,407 = $18,000

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Unfortunately I've never heard of a manufacturer helping a second owner. Doesn't make sense to me, but they look at it as you bought it from a third party, not them. I got out of warranty assistance with a powertrain failure on a Toyota just last year. But we were the original owners.

You're in a really rough spot that is a nightmare of many of us on FTE. Your attitude throughout this is impressive despite the crappy hand you've been dealt on this one. I hope she gets back together quickly and makes you happy for years to come.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I write the new companies and tell them of your tale. In 1983 I had a problem like this and there were people working for the new company that take on things like this. My the time it was done they , at the dealer, called me in corrected the problem and it cost me nothing. This is a known problem on early builds. Are you keeping the motor? I would and tear into it. If you get a new motor there shouldn't be core charge. That's only on rebuilds.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
mboydd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I was keeping the motor. I well strip the parts off and recoup some of my loss. It was my understanding that Ford only sells remanufactured motors, therefore my motor will be a core. Ford only sells new manufactured in new vehicles. I could be wrong though. I suppose you could get one if you know the right people. I don't.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

It's a few years old now so you probably right, they use to replace new.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Pretty depressing thread. Between the no help from Ford for the 2nd owners to the attitude of not owing a diesel out of warranty anymore.

Even if it's in warranty, how many weeks are you supposed to go without your truck? A rental isn't the same since you won't have the set up you need or can't tow with it.

Just depressing they don't seem to last like they used to for the amount of money they cost.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Pretty depressing thread. Between the no help from Ford for the 2nd owners to the attitude of not owing a diesel out of warranty anymore.

Even if it's in warranty, how many weeks are you supposed to go without your truck? A rental isn't the same since you won't have the set up you need or can't tow with it.

Just depressing they don't seem to last like they used to for the amount of money they cost.
well i think what is obvious to most here,is that ford is making it clear that with the cost of the truck in general,the no warranty coverage of the fuel system,not getting the same treatment if you didn't buy it first hand,needing a degree or two in engineering to make repairs yourself,the cost of paying someone out of warranty just for diagnosis,that diesel trucks are just not for the working man anymore.if this isn't the message ford wants to send,they're sure doing a horrible job.if it is,then they're clearly getting a passing grade.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
One blown engine doesn't make a trend. Although the staggering cost of replacement sure is a turn off.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
One blown engine doesn't make a trend. Although the staggering cost of replacement sure is a turn off.
Thought it was 2 in this thread?

The trend that does seem apparent is that not many 6.7 owners trust to have their vehicle out of warranty. That alone is depressing enough.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thought it was 2 in this thread?

The trend that does seem apparent is that not many 6.7 owners trust to have their vehicle out of warranty. That alone is depressing enough.
The ones posting in this thread are.

As soon as I got my 6.7 it immediately got a tuner and a straight pipe, voiding my warranty. It has not concerned me at all. Mine is a 2012, so from what I understand it's less susceptible to drop a valve, but the fuel system is just as likely to fail if it gets water in it, and if the engine has any problems it gets expensive real quick, but every Ford diesel since the IDI has been like that.

I really feel for the people in this thread that have had problems, particularly given that they have had little support from Ford - and I can understand people wanting to buy an extended warranty program, but the thing is, Ford makes money on selling extended warranties, which means that across the board the average truck is going to need less $ spent on warranty repairs than what the extended warranty costs. For me, and many others here, I'm happy to run the risk of something expensive going wrong, knowing that it's really unlikely, and if something does happen, I can use this site to understand how to fix it and minimize the cost.

In reality it's not much different to driving a 7.3 with nearly 500k miles. A lot of people would always be worried about it breaking down and leaving you stranded with such high miles and would rather a new truck. I bet you are not, because you probably know the truck inside out and have done all the mechanical work on it, and have faith in it. I have faith in my 6.7.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Lots and lots

Originally Posted by Tom
There's lots and lots of early 011, 6.7 engines with dropped valves. mostly on number 8 cyclinder so what you say is wrong. There are others as well later on. His should of been fixed being he bought it at that dealer and it was serviced at that dealer and ford knows it. Sorry but I just disagree.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigF350
The ones posting in this thread are.

As soon as I got my 6.7 it immediately got a tuner and a straight pipe, voiding my warranty. It has not concerned me at all. Mine is a 2012, so from what I understand it's less susceptible to drop a valve, but the fuel system is just as likely to fail if it gets water in it, and if the engine has any problems it gets expensive real quick, but every Ford diesel since the IDI has been like that.

So did you add a secondary water separator/filter pre-pump? I'll disagree on the water in fuel issue on every truck since the IDI. It's only when they switched to the HPFP that this became an issue.

The common theme I have seen is the only ones who seem to trust their truck is the ones who hit some kind of big bump or something and lost their DPF in the process.

Question: How many miles did you go before your DPF fell off? What's the safe rate to make sure it's not a lemon or has a loose bolt somewhere that grenades the motor?

Trusting a truck with 500k is nice, but nothing lasts forever.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry if this was said already, but you can buy low milage motors for $8-10K all day long
I cant see more than another $2-3K for labor if you use a small shop, not the dealer.
I've always thought $10k was the number. Just sayin.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
mboydd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the deal with the my specific issue with Ford so it doesn't get lost in the thread as people respond. I believe the only reason Ford did not help me was because I am a second owner. I have always bought used cars for myself. My wife has always got the new cars. If I had been an original owner on the truck, I truly believe they would have helped in some way. I expected worst case scenario and a dealer stepped up to help me out, so by my book, that is a plus.

I was contacted today by the dealer now that my motor was out and I asked them to look for any other potential issues not resolved by a new engine. It was suggested I replace the belt ($177) and an intake boot that looked like it may start leaking. These are little things that do not come with the new motor. It is much cheaper to fix them now then skimp and have to do it later.

When my truck is done I will not trust it completely for a while, but I am sure in time the truck will earn my trust back. I drove my 7.3 for 260K miles and had a few issues with it, but nothing major. There were problems with the 7.3 when it came out too and over time those issues were worked out and resolved to make it the legend it is now. I am sure in time the 6.7 will be there too. It is just new. There have been over a million of the 6.7's put out now and issues like mine I am pretty sure a few and far between. So I would say it is a pretty good engine.

Regardless of what we all think the motors should be, all of the manufacturers have to conform to the new emission laws that never applied to diesels before. That is not the manufactures fault, but it is their problem to work out to meet customer satisfaction and still conform to requirements. So with that, there were years of research working out the bugs, and years more to come to get it right. We all just happen to be in a transition time where we have to suffer with it.

I loved my old truck and miss its simplicity. I could work on a lot of things myself and knew it inside and out. However, after owning my 6.7 I can't imagine going back. It just doesn't compare in regards to comfort and power. I took a very long camping trip with five of us and a dog in the cab in the new truck. It was so comfortable and stress free towing. If it was in my old truck, I would have been the only one who survived!

What I know now is, yes, this is going to cost me a hair over 14k to get this fixed with the motor and services I am having done. However, for that price I will now know how the motor has been treated and where every mile came from. For two years I will have piece of mind in a warranty, at least on the motor, and not have to worry about that part. I will know that the new motor has all of the improvements and refinements made since 2011 up to just prior to the new 2015 6.7's incorporated into the engine. In two years, I will have forgotten the pain I have suffered here and most likely be able to get out of the truck and buy a new one. I may keep it, if it is a trouble free for two years. If I have a major issue with this new motor, knowing how I take care of my cars and drive, then yes, I must reconsider my beliefs. Until then, I will continue to love my truck and hope that it takes care of me from this point forward like my last one.

Quick story on my failure though. I was sitting at a rest stop for 45 minutes waiting for a group to meet us to continue. Just prior to the stop, I had climbed a hill pulling my trailer. Not a huge hill, but 6% for a few miles. After clearing the hill I patted the truck on the dashboard and said, "Good Girl" as I usually do with this, and my old truck. Because I bought the truck used, maybe it's male and showed me its dissatisfaction by blowing up. Maybe time to rethink my praise. Thanks for all the comments. Been fun reading other peoples opinions and ideas.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. What a read. Hope this new engine treats you right. While Ford has no legal obligation to help, I do think it's still kind of crappy for them not to. I understand warranty is 100k....but diesels were always known for running 300k +

Statistically, this new engine should be trouble free. Especially since most of the known issues have been worked out.

You have one hell of a good attitude. It's particularly refreshing after I just read this article today:

Ben Edelman, Harvard Business School Professor, Goes to War Over $4 Worth of Chinese Food

Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Brett, I bet the jerk in the article was hungry again before he even finished writing the first letter!

Quick Reply: 2011 6.7L Blown Engine @ 100,407 = $18,000