6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 6.7L Blown Engine @ 100,407 = $18,000

Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cpp1984
The best truck I ever owned was my 2002 7.3, no big surprise, but after hearing the hype of the 6.7L that was my choice last August when I needed a new truck.

Bought with around 60k miles, I have put it to work. And last Saturday I turned over 100,000 miles. On Sunday afternoon, after a violent shake on the freeway, my engine threw a rod through the block. Catastrophic damage obviously and my dealership has said that it will take $18,000 to get her back on the road.

Ford has told me "sorry bout cha'" and says there is nothing that they will do to help me out.

Not two weeks ago I blew the turbo, and had it replaced under warranty at 98K miles. Pulled the Oasis and found that the turbo was also replaced just before I purchased the truck less than a year ago. Something that was not on the car fax that the dealership showed me when I bought the truck.

Wanted to share, and hopefully get some advice. THis is not the first I have heard of these 6.7 s blowing up. It was an early build, May 2010 and have heard of the valve problems etc. I have also read about owners receiving assistance from Ford with many more miles that 407, over the 100,000 mile warranty.

Am I the only one who Thinks this is ridiculous?!?! a $60,000 vehicle literally one tank of fuel over 100,000 miles and done.
All the other relevants aside, that statement right there is good enough for me, for you to have reasonable grounds to expect Ford to step up and replace that engine.

Two turbos in a years time? What was the mileage on that original replacement?

The tie-in factor here, to me, is your turbocharger's access to the engine oil. It's highly likely the PO could have run the engine low on oil as the turbo failed, compromising your rod bearings. OR, introducing bearing fragments into the oil as they disintegrated, again, compromising the integrity of the bottom end of the motor.

Same thing happens again, turbocharger failure, dumps a bunch of oil out the exhaust? Did they address the DPF contamination? I remember a thread here earlier this year about a rather spectacular turbo failure complete with James Bond style smoke screen...

But I'm getting off the point. You've had TWO major component failures in the last year, that have every potential, and expected potential, at that, to affect systems larger than them.

Knowing rod bearing compromise due to oil starvation or contamination from turbocharger failure is one thing, unfortunately I can't help you prove it, but it can not be ignored.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
In the booklet folder you should have your "new vehicle warranty" which will give you the details you need.
Your truck, when built came with 3 warranties, the 3 year bumper to bumper, the emissions and the power train warranties. All 3 will be spelled out.
Plus the diesel supplement will spell out 5 year/100K warranty.

this 100K/5year is from date put into service. The dealer/service advisor should be able to pull the oasis which will indicate that date.

Make a copy and provide it to the Cus svc rep.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM
cpp1984
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Senix,
The Cus Svs reps have the Oasis, the in service date is 2/22/11, but it has a blank in the Sale Mileage section.

But the vehicle was originally titled with 855 miles, and a warranty safety recall was performed at the selling dealership 9/13/10 (+/- 5 months before the truck was sold) with 650 miles on the truck (this is from the Warranty History report)

The part that is not spelled out is the mileage - warranty starts at the in service date.
Ford just told me that on all of their vehicles, the warranty mileage starts at 0.0
(36K, 80K, 100K etc.) the second that it is built the mileage warranty is ticking away.

Of course the service rep I spoke with when I brought my truck in to the dealership said that he regularly sees ford honor warranties starting at the sale mileage + 100,000 miles. I actually called a couple of times and asked the same question to different service people at the same dealership, just being casual about it to see what answers I got, and they all said yes it should be covered.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
You need some more posts...keep going.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe someone shady did something wrong under your hood and they're scared of getting caught by ford.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cpp1984
Senix,
The Cus Svs reps have the Oasis, the in service date is 2/22/11, but it has a blank in the Sale Mileage section.

But the vehicle was originally titled with 855 miles, and a warranty safety recall was performed at the selling dealership 9/13/10 (+/- 5 months before the truck was sold) with 650 miles on the truck (this is from the Warranty History report)

The part that is not spelled out is the mileage - warranty starts at the in service date.
Ford just told me that on all of their vehicles, the warranty mileage starts at 0.0
(36K, 80K, 100K etc.) the second that it is built the mileage warranty is ticking away.

Of course the service rep I spoke with when I brought my truck in to the dealership said that he regularly sees ford honor warranties starting at the sale mileage + 100,000 miles. I actually called a couple of times and asked the same question to different service people at the same dealership, just being casual about it to see what answers I got, and they all said yes it should be covered.
Have you spoken with Customer Care and your local regional FORD manager yet?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Found this. I guess it is date unless it falls under certain circumstances.

https://www.fordwsd.com/Ford-WSD/web...t_Policies.pdf

Old 05-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
UGA33 - That document talks about in transit/repair mileage and the fact it had work done PRIOR to the first delivery, seems to me, it should be covered.

And this is not even taking the previous motor work into account. Seems reasonable to me that a turbo failure followed by a engine failure shortly thereafter means the complete problem wasn't fixed. Therefore the failure occurred well within the warranty start date and mileage regardless.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Even if Ford wanted to count the pre-sold warranty work as in service, he still has 243 miles remaining in my opinion.
I just don't understand how warranty begins at 0.0.

Here's another document, written by Ford. See page 2 (actual pg 7).
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...12Warranty.pdf

KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS
Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new
vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer
demonstrator), whichever occurs first.
Edit: Thinking out loud based on what vloney said, maybe warranty and start date is thrown away when sold used...?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by kper05
Even if Ford wanted to count the pre-sold warranty work as in service, he still has 243 miles remaining in my opinion.
I just don't understand how warranty begins at 0.0.

Here's another document, written by Ford. See page 2 (actual pg 7).
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...12Warranty.pdf

Edit: Thinking out loud based on what vloney said, maybe warranty and start date is thrown away when sold used...?
Nope, 5 years (sale date) or 100 thousand miles, whichever comes first. Sounds simple to me.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
except that the factory put some miles on it before it was sold and titled... It is within the 5 years and within a customer putting 100k miles on... PLUS, the problem was reported prior to the 100k miles. The dealer and/or manufacturer can't slap a simple fix on the truck and send it out the door just to get it past warranty time or mileage to make the customer pay for the big bill... There is case law on this, although maybe not in the OPs circuit.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Ex Factor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does Ford want to weasel out of questionable circumstances?

As I prepare to purchase my next truck, threads such as this will play a part in my decision.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Everybody seems to be confusing in service date with in service mileage. I haven't seen anything in the warranty paperwork that references in service mileage. The date is a different story. My 2006 F350 was built in November 2005 but wasn't registered until August 2006. My 5 yr warranty wouldn't have expired until August 2011, but it would have reached 100,000 miles somewhere around April 2011.

100,000 miles on the engine warranty means 100,000 miles. Ford doesn't care if the sales manager drove the truck for 5,000 miles before it was registered or officially put into service. They warranty the engine for 100,000 miles from 0.00 when it was built.

The sticky point that I see here for the OP is that he is not the original purchaser of this truck. There aren't many manufacturers that have as much respect for the second owner as they do the original owner. I hope Crystal can be of some help and get this resolved, but I understand if they still say no. Warranties are like Vegas odds. The guys that make the rules have the odds stacked in their favor.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Everybody seems to be confusing in service date with in service mileage. I haven't seen anything in the warranty paperwork that references in service mileage. The date is a different story. My 2006 F350 was built in November 2005 but wasn't registered until August 2006. My 5 yr warranty wouldn't have expired until August 2011, but it would have reached 100,000 miles somewhere around April 2011.

100,000 miles on the engine warranty means 100,000 miles. Ford doesn't care if the sales manager drove the truck for 5,000 miles before it was registered or officially put into service. They warranty the engine for 100,000 miles from 0.00 when it was built.

The sticky point that I see here for the OP is that he is not the original purchaser of this truck. There aren't many manufacturers that have as much respect for the second owner as they do the original owner. I hope Crystal can be of some help and get this resolved, but I understand if they still say no. Warranties are like Vegas odds. The guys that make the rules have the odds stacked in their favor.
I usually run out of time before mileage nowadays... But I did have a case with a different car manufacturer that the warranty mileage was based off of the first titled mileage, NOT from 0.00 had a problem and it was covered, no questions asked. But if that is Ford's rules, that is Ford's rules. However, in this case, I will continue to think that a turbo going less than 2k miles before the motor, that there was something wrong with the motor at 98k miles, when the motor was in warranty and should be covered.

And granted, I buy new. I never thought that had anything to do with it, but apparently according to people here it does.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Sure would be nice if dealers, sales and service, knew what they were talking about. I guess that's why we have FTE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 6.7L Blown Engine @ 100,407 = $18,000