Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

What Did you do to your Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
IIGood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not today, but yesterday I did the first oil change on the Explorer since I've owned it. I've put just over 4K miles on it since taking ownership and figured it was time. Put 5 quarts of fresh Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage in it and a Motorcraft filter.

Whoever did the oil changes before must not have understood "hand-tighten" or "snug" though. I actually had to use a filter wrench for the first time since I've been changing oil just to break the filter free...that was interesting trying to maneuver the wrench over the filter body.

Then I was afraid the drain bolt was cross-threaded since it was in so tight. Had to break out as long of a ratchet handle as I could, pull as hard as I could, all while bracing my other hand against a flat part of the front crossmember. A 10 minute oil change turned into nearly an hour! At least next time won't be so bad.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas

I think I sold the tailgate/hatch off my 99 limited, bought it for the 5.0 donor powerplant. putting it into my 2001 sport trac that I bought with an already broken 4.0 . guy is coming Saturday and I will help him switch it if he brings beer.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
IIGood
Senior User
I just cut some glossy black vinyl to lay over the de-glossed door pillars. Got the pieces cut but haven't put them on yet. It's raining here now. I'll still need to wet sand what little clearcoat is left on the trim pieces then apply the vinyl.

I'm not looking for 100% on those pieces...can't justify spending the small fortune to replace the pieces, don't feel like dismantling them to repaint them, etc...so I figured the vinyl overlay would be the next best thing. I do still need to do the D-pillars though.

What I did for these: A few months back I actually got a set of the polycarbonate overlays from some vendor on Amazon. When I received them, I didn't think they'd be as thick as they are...and when I did a "test fit" they stuck out more than I would care for. So I used these pieces as the template for the vinyl and cut the vinyl up that way.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice idea. Please share pics of the vinyl once you have applied it. Most of the explorers/mountaineers with the plastic trim here develop tiny cracks that make it look bad, this would be a great way to cover that up.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:47 PM
IIGood
Senior User
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Nice idea. Please share pics of the vinyl once you have applied it. Most of the explorers/mountaineers with the plastic trim here develop tiny cracks that make it look bad, this would be a great way to cover that up.
Thanks, though I can't take credit for the original idea. I actually found it online either here or another forum as a substitute fix for the D-pillars. The guy had painted his front pillars by removing them, but when it came to the D-pillars they weren't as easy to remove so he ended up using vinyl.

The rain let up here for a bit and I proceeded with applying the vinyl strips to the front and rear door trim...here are the pictures I took:

2003 Explorer door pillar vinyl "cover-up"

I'll start another thread with more details.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:04 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
IIGood
Senior User
Guess I've been busy...

Back in February I started applying Forever Black to the trim work on the outside. It was a gradual process as time and weather allowed but this morning I finished it off. I'm anxious to see how long it lasts because right now, it all looks 100% better than before. All the trim is a uniform black color rather than multiple shades of a faded gray. The pieces around the front wheels were the worst; one piece was extremely faded and stood out like a sore thumb.

I've only got 2 more things I'd need/like to take care of and I'm set for a while. One is front brakes, and the other is getting the dent out of the tailgate.

Hit the link in my signature to check out my gallery.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Found out my speedometer on my 94 explorer is 5mph slow. Was wondering why it took me so long to get to work in it but was their in no time in mom's envoy.

Also had my speedometer start bouncing over 45mph. Did it on the way to work but was fine on the way back.
Trav

Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Repaired the center console lid latch based on this... Center Console latch problem - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® ...now I have an extra 10 springs since they sell only in a 12 pack. Not bad though, $15 total and 20 minutes to have a working latch.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 PM
IIGood
Senior User
I ordered a new bezel for the driver side front door last week...the piece that all the switches mount in. It arrived today so I changed it out. My old one had the clips broken off so it didn't stay in place very well.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:36 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
moved my dads '99 Limited out of the garage and noticed he hit a neat milestone.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi!

What did I do to my Explorer today? Starting with last weekend.

Easter Sunday. 5000 mile oil service. Rotation of tires. Inspection of brakes.

Over the week, finally had the P0442 emissions code diagnosed and repaired by the dealer. Not thrilled but it's fixed. No more once in awhile whiff of gasoline smell. It was that greased up reach around feel since it could not have been the more common canister or valve to have failed. The good. 6 months on the Ford card to pay it off.

Today, installed new struts. After 140,000 miles, it was time. I didn't noticed how bad the ride got since the Explorer is my wife's DD. I had the strut assemblies for more then a couple of weeks now. I paid extra thinking I would do them last weekend but that didn't happen. No more boat on the ocean feeling!

Future work. New rotors and pads. Going OEM this time. No more of the Advance Auto/ Auto Zone/ junk. The rears got a couple of months and the fronts are about the same. Since my wife and I have lived at the same place for the last 9 years, our vehicles go through brakes every 18 months due to living on a fairly steep hill. I got bit over 2 years of service from the MC OEM pads prior to this last set. The current set is barely getting 12 months. This last go around Advance Auto has been absolute trash. Rotors and like wise. I digress though.

Future project. Electric cooling fans. My dad has two of them sitting in his garage. Hummmm....

Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Pulled into the local Circle K with it and saw it was leaking coolant so hurried to work with it and watched the temperature gauge raise like it was overheating. After work we towed it home and attempted to find the problem. Have done everything to make it happen again to diagnose the problem but nothing no overheating and no leaks. So going to take it to work Wednesday and see if it happens again.

Also washed it yesterday. I think that is the dirtiest I have ever had this car.
Trav

Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
It seems that the thermostat housings are a common issue for coolant leaks. You could borrow a cooling system pressure tester and use that to (hopefully) pinpoint the leak on a cold engine rather than having to drive it around until it gets hot enough to leak again.

-Rod

Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
It was leaking in the drivers side front corner off the frame. Looked to be the radiator but the radiator is fine. Already did a pressure test it showed no leaks. If the truck would even show a slight sign of being a problem I would drive something else but literally their is no reason it should be acting up. Wondering if maybe I was being a little to hard on it in the mornings as I know this car hates mornings always has and probably always will.
Trav

Quick Reply: What Did you do to your Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator today?