Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2014, 08:01 AM
New User

CLARK3234 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Touchy Steering

I have 2001 X V10 4WD. It has a really touchy steering to it. you barely move the wheel and you are moving. I have had a Les Schwab tires check out the suspension and alignment and everything checks out fine. I was towing our 31 foot trailer with a equalizer hitch and I was fighting it the entire way. Is there anything can do to improve the steering?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Dirty Old Man in training

BassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputationBassFantasizer has a superb reputation
An Excursion where the steering is too tight? Now that's an oddity!

You might back the tension adjustment on the steering box back about 1/4 turn. It sounds like it's been over tightened.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
I would check the alignment by someone else, positive toe out will cause that. The steering box can't be "too good", my box has zero play and it tracks like a freight train.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer View Post
An Excursion where the steering is too tight? Now that's an oddity!

You might back the tension adjustment on the steering box back about 1/4 turn. It sounds like it's been over tightened.
Sorry, gotta say you are wrong here. It's not a "tension adjustment" and the goal is to get them tight to the point of binding.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Senior User

DavenTn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DavenTn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK3234 View Post
I have 2001 X V10 4WD. It has a really touchy steering to it. you barely move the wheel and you are moving. I have had a Les Schwab tires check out the suspension and alignment and everything checks out fine. I was towing our 31 foot trailer with a equalizer hitch and I was fighting it the entire way. Is there anything can do to improve the steering?
Clark... make sure your explaining the issue as accurate as possible. Let me ask, does "touchy" mean the vehicle wanders and your constantly correcting? Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you know the tongue weight? What size and type of tires? Does the vehicle seem to have touchy steering when your not towing? Is this your first evolution for towing?

Try this... start the vehicle, open the hood, find the steering shaft where it enters the steering box. Put your eyes on the pitman arm (the part that connects to the steering linkage from the steering box). Have a second person move the steering wheel slightly to observe for play. In a perfect world = zero play... however some is expected on older parts, but too much means adjust or replace.

Worn out steering boxes/wandering vehicles are chronic complaints.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

What about those tires? size, rating, age, brand, tread, etc?
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs