Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 PM
New User

EWelsch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Distributor fail... and threw a rod??

Heya everyone - newbie here.
Running with a 1996 F250, 7.5L Manual, super-cab short-bed 178,000 miles.

Rewind a week - original distributor burns up with some telltale signs before it went - misfiring and loss of power. So I drop a new distributor in and re-time the ignition. No problem - everything is running well!

Rewind to last night - Accelerating hard when engine dies extremely quickly. (3500 RPM to 0 in less than a second) Engine will not restart and I immediately suspect the new distributor. After a tow and a day of trouble shooting wiring, coils, ICM, plugs, leads and connectors - the new distributor is the culprit. So, a 2nd new distributor is dropped in. Engine fires right up... however there is a problem. The engine now has a severe knocking noise coming from the #1 cylinder. I pulled the #1 spark plug and ran the engine again for a second - the knocking noise got far louder.

My suspicion is that the sudden loss of ignition brought the engine to a stop so rapidly that a connecting rod or bearing was severely damaged. Any thoughts? Or do i have myself a parts truck?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Posting Guru

Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.
Any smoke? Rough idle? Shaking?
My names Tye and I'm 16 "The Red Baron" 1988 F350 4x4 CCLBSRW 460 V8 C6 3 spd Hedman Mid-length Hedders, Turbo muffler with duals, Ranch Hand bumper, blacked out chrome, cb with antenna, and a thumpin Pioneer stereo! Coming soon: Dually conversion and Cummins swap!
Build thread http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ld-thread.html
Old 05-15-2014, 11:47 PM
New User

No Smoke... Idles a tiny bit rough, but nothing out of the ordinary. As far as shaking goes, nothing unusual. This is all from running it for less than a minute though. (since repair)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:08 AM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
The piston comes to a dead stop, and reverses direction thousands of times per minute, pulling hundreds of G's of acceleration each time. It makes no difference to the connecting rods how fast the crank stops spinning.

It's probably lifter knock, which isn't unheard of on 460s.

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9

Needs a lot of work, including some rot on the body, but shes getting there.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Pulling the plug, if it was a rod it should of got less noise. 178,000 miles could be a few things.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Posting Guru

Bob Gervais has a great reputation on FTE.Bob Gervais has a great reputation on FTE.Bob Gervais has a great reputation on FTE.Bob Gervais has a great reputation on FTE.Bob Gervais has a great reputation on FTE.
Is the oil pump drive shaft spun by the distributor on a 460? If it is, maybe yours isn't in correctly?

38 gallon fuel tank install:http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...l#post13107271
Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 AM
New User

Hmm. The oil shaft drive is with the distributor, but i dont believe you can get the distributor installed with out seating it correctly. If lifter knock suddenly developed as a result of a sudden stoppage, what would be going on there?

You guys are giving me some hope!! Man, i love this truck.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Senior User

Phil Woolfson is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is no good reason to get rid of a perfectly good truck just because the engine blows up or the wheels fall off. That's what tools are for!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Woolfson View Post
There is no good reason to get rid of a perfectly good truck just because the engine blows up or the wheels fall off. That's what tools are for!
Haha, I agree... however, the 4" lift and 37" tires doesn't allow it to park in a standard garage. Additionally, this neighborhood has a RETARDED HOA which doesn't allow vehicle work in the street. (never move into suburbia - it is like Prius central around here) On top of that, I do not own a engine hoist or have another vehicle to retrieve parts/tools with. Doing a compression check later today... best case scenario would be that i somehow broke a rocker arm. I guess.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Sounds like you need to move and buy a Ranger.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
New User

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Oh I bet the HOA just loves that thing.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM
New User

They ADORE it! .... not.

Actually, i believe they tolerate it because the truck was responsible for rescuing about 20 families from flood waters during the Boulder (Colorado) flood last year. And that was only a few short months after it rescued a bunch of people from the Black Forest fire in Colorado Springs. This crazy state.

And now, it is dying at the hands of a faulty Chinese part. Any other ideas on that knocking I have? Can it be saved?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Posting Guru

dixie460 has a good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Oh I bet the HOA just loves that thing.
That's why I won't live anywhere like that. Before I sign any rental agreement, I ask if it's ok to work on my vehicles on the property, and remind them that I'm talking about things like engine and suspension work, not just wiper blades or a light bulb. If they say it's ok, we're all good. And if not, then no matter what else I like about the place, I thank them for their time and walk away. I refuse to let anyone else work on my vehicles, and if I don't have a running truck to get to work and make money, what good is having a nice house that I can't pay for.

OP, your knock is definitely from one side of the engine? Might want to pull the valve cover and take a look. Yes I know the intake plenum is in the way, but it is what it is. I just can't believe that anything in the crankcase got damaged.
96 F-150 SCSB - 351W - Rebuilt E4OD - Manual 1356 T-Case Swap - 3.55 Gears - 31x10.50x15 Falken WildPeaks - York 210 OBA - 130A Alternator - MileMarker Supreme Lockouts - Badlands 12K Winch - Dual Thrush Glasspacks - LED Headlight Conversion
Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie460 View Post
OP, your knock is definitely from one side of the engine? Might want to pull the valve cover and take a look. Yes I know the intake plenum is in the way, but it is what it is.
The plenum is not in the way on a 460 in pulling the valve cover.
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks