2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2010 limited and 2 problems: rear end wander and stutter

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 PM
expoman55
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 limited and 2 problems: rear end wander and stutter

I have a 2010 expy limited regular length. it has 78k miles. I purchased it with 52K and a 100K CPO warranty.

My issues are this. When my women ride in back they complain of a motion sickness kind of feeling. My son rode back there ( he is kind of a car guy) and he says it feels as if the rear of the vehicle is always hunting or tracking against itself. I have upgraded sway ba r(helwig), Tires ( Cooper HD+) and had it aligned and rechecked. I have had the tires load-force balanced as well. The shocks are not soft or springy meaning when we hit a bump the react and settle right away. It has a tow package etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not sure what to do next.
My other issue is my truck appears to stutter. usually up a grade right following a shift at about 1500 rpms. I will occur on a flat at the same point. If I put truck in Neutral while stuttering problem goes away. Is this Tconverter issue? Does any one know of TSBs to solve this problem or is anyone having same issues? Again any help is very appreciated. Love my truck but my family is about done with it.. This is my 3rd expy and by far the worse one..
Thanks

Old 05-15-2014, 05:51 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
For the stutter issue I would say coils, then maybe plugs. Have they ever been replaced with 78K on the clock?

As for the rear sway...... Sorry can't help. I know my wife and kids say its a little bouncy back there but not unbearable.

Matt

Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by expoman55
My other issue is my truck appears to stutter. usually up a grade right following a shift at about 1500 rpms. I will occur on a flat at the same point.
How often has the tranny fluid been changed?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have not replaced the rear struts, do so. They are only good for 50K. When they go bad the handling/ride on these goes downhill very fast.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM
expoman55
Mountain Pass
2010 expy problems

Thanks Berry1234.. I am trying to find billstein shocks but no one has em in stock argh... I did sway bar already. made a huge difference . What do you think of replacing the OEM with another set of OEM Spring / Shock combinations from EBAY take offs? or wait on the billStein

How often does the trany fluid need changing ?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
I have a 2010 expy limited regular length. it has 78k miles. I purchased it with 52K and a 100K CPO warranty.
Hey expoman... I'm in almost your exact same boat... altho a little older. I have had an '05, and a '10 Expy, back to back, and now have an '08 Navigator, with 114k on her. Of all three, my favorite, believe it or not, was the '05. It just drove the best, most like a solid-built truck. the '10 was nice, but started having some problems. power running boards, etc.

This navi, sounds like same exact symptoms as you're describing. For the spittin' & sputtering, turns out it needed a coil? and all 8 spark plugs as part of a tune up. And yes, of course all 8 broke off in the engine (thanks for acknowledging that one Ford), as they were changing. Runs fine now.

As far as the rear end, mine actually has the air suspension which I believe is only rears?? as the front has normal spring/shock set up. The shop looked at the rears and said they were fine, but when you push down on the rear bumper, it bounces a good 2-3 times. and when you're driving down the road, if you hit a big dip, yeah... it'll float all over the place. #bouncy. Much like a really old Cadillac. I'm going to do the conversion to a traditional, spring/shock set up in the rears, but the dash board warning that will come on forever will kind of make my OCD twitch. but I'm still going to do it. anywho, u sure you don't have rear air suspension that is starting to go out? Just a thought... and good luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM
expoman55
Mountain Pass
2010 expy shuttering

Hi Rick,
Funny my path is almost the same.. had a 97 EBauer LOVED it drove it to 115k and started to replace stuff like manifolds so I traded for an 05 Left over EB and drove it to 105k. At 95k got a CE light and dealer told me AH keep driving it just a little fluxuation in Oil pressure.. well 10k later after multiple trips in they announce to me i need a 'replacement'! A what? replacement Engine.. as the valve guides had shattered and debris was now through out the block and the cylinders were scored.. ( Bastar*S) SO I shopped and bought this limited 2010. it has shuttered from start and stealer told me it was my poor driving habits YEA OK SH**head! I have never driven any cars before.. Only for 50 years.. idiots.. ( Nope I am the idiot for going to stealership!.. Thus where I am now..
would you take it to dealer for plug change considering if they break em they fix em? ( Although at my cost ) ? Did the plugs and coils fix your problem ?

PS I think the previous dealer installed the wrong shocks in mine as I cannot find the same part number that is on my truck anywhere.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Hi Rick,
Funny my path is almost the same.. had a 97 EBauer LOVED it drove it to 115k and started to replace stuff like manifolds so I traded for an 05 Left over EB and drove it to 105k. At 95k got a CE light and dealer told me AH keep driving it just a little fluxuation in Oil pressure.. well 10k later after multiple trips in they announce to me i need a 'replacement'! A what? replacement Engine.. as the valve guides had shattered and debris was now through out the block and the cylinders were scored.. ( Bastar*S) SO I shopped and bought this limited 2010. it has shuttered from start and stealer told me it was my poor driving habits YEA OK SH**head! I have never driven any cars before.. Only for 50 years.. idiots.. ( Nope I am the idiot for going to stealership!.. Thus where I am now..
would you take it to dealer for plug change considering if they break em they fix em? ( Although at my cost ) ? Did the plugs and coils fix your problem ?

PS I think the previous dealer installed the wrong shocks in mine as I cannot find the same part number that is on my truck anywhere.
In my short time here, I have noticed a recurring theme on this board, Ford dealerships suck. And if you happen to work at dealer, I honestly cannot say I'm sorry for that statement... if your car has less than 35,999 miles on it, take it there, otherwise, find someone better.

So, to answer your question as far as the engine goes... I had an independent shop by where I work do all the work... they were very familiar with the BS plugs Ford uses, had all the necessary tools to do the job, and I'd def go back. They were great. Obviously make some calls around in your area for mechanics knowledgeable on this Ford engine. The coil, and new plugs/ tune-up def worked... she runs really decent right now.