Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

How Ford Overcame Truck Sceptics

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I've owned a lot of Chrysler products. One thing I always found was the initial purchase price was lower. It seemed Chrysler would come a lot more off the sticker price than Ford and Chrysler always seemed to have better financing deals. My first pickup was a Dodge and my second was almost a Dodge. My wife had a Chrysler Aspen with the 5.7 Hemi. We had great luck that truck, all our mini-vans were Dodges. I have nothing bad to say about them. The F150's seem to cost more to purchase than the Dodge, but you get it back on trade in. I just prefer my Kansas City built F150.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM
3rdIQ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015er
I follow forums for both the F150 and Ram as I am about to make the most significant and most expensive vehicle purchase in my lifetime - probably $50k (give or take) for either a new 2015 F150 Lariat or a 2015 1500 Ram Laramie. Chevys and GMC Sierras are not even on my radar.

For me its a dead heat Ram has done some really good stuff with their trucks and is a REAL competitor - Ford is moving the needle as well. I have done a ton of research as this is a major investment for me. That said it's going to come down to the test drive, the final numbers for towing/payload/engine performance, and price - who'll give the best deal.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you are and although my loyalty leans toward Ford I at least want to give Ram a look... just not sure how far I can look beyond that rotary shift **** as I've been driving manuals for 38 years. Like you, research is going to be my middle name for a while.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I think the diesel half ton came in at a bad time. With the emissions on them with Urea Injection the cost per-mile is the same as a 3.5L EcoBoost if your getting 28mpg with the diesel and 22mpg with the EcoBoost. I ran the numbers about a year ago. Its not really worth the extra dough to buy the diesel.

If I was in the market for a brand new truck I would have to go with the 5.0L. I like that the spark plugs and coil packs are right there unlike the old Modular SOHC 5.4 and 4.6 where they were buried under everything from the EGR valve to the air in take to the fuel rail. Just too much of a hassle.

I'm not a huge fan of turbocharged gasoline engines, it just adds more weight and crap in the engine compartment and if its not setup nicely with the technician in mind, then its just another headache. If I recall reading about 8 months ago or so but Ford on the newer generation of EcoBoost for this new MY they were going to be able to have the license plate in the middle instead of having it offset so it's out of the way of the CAC. Not sure how they'll do this if they'll do a Air-Water intercooler like on the PowerStroke. But they are seriously riding too much on the EcoBoost in R&D and not refining any of the other engines.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
All anyone has to do is to sit down, pour a cup of Joe and compare numbers of like models from Detroit's big three to see that Ford is offering the most cab configurations, the most trim levels and in my opinion, the best overall value.

For the guys looking at Ram, they've come a long way but, when you purchase the Crew cab model to get a rear cab as large as the F-150, you've saved nothing in price but sacrificed capability.

GM is the only one of the three to achieve a Five Star crash rating, Ford and Ram are locked at Four Stars each.

Ford's aluminum body will shed enough weight to become equal in weight to the current GM/Ram trucks. The F-150 is the heaviest and still layin' down great MPG's, great capabilities and a competitive price with incredible financing options.

Are any of these trucks perfect? No. However, the most perfect truck from any of the big three is a basic work truck equipped to work and act like a truck. It'll be the most reliable and the least expensive to operate over it's life.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM
3rdIQ
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
All anyone has to do is to sit down, pour a cup of Joe and compare numbers of like models from Detroit's big three to see that Ford is offering the most cab configurations, the most trim levels and in my opinion, the best overall value.

For the guys looking at Ram, they've come a long way but, when you purchase the Crew cab model to get a rear cab as large as the F-150, you've saved nothing in price but sacrificed capability.

GM is the only one of the three to achieve a Five Star crash rating, Ford and Ram are locked at Four Stars each.

Ford's aluminum body will shed enough weight to become equal in weight to the current GM/Ram trucks. The F-150 is the heaviest and still layin' down great MPG's, great capabilities and a competitive price with incredible financing options.

Are any of these trucks perfect? No. However, the most perfect truck from any of the big three is a basic work truck equipped to work and act like a truck. It'll be the most reliable and the least expensive to operate over it's life.
All very sound observations, and you echo one very good line of reasoning I've believed in for many years when you stated: "...the most perfect truck from any of the big three is a basic work truck equipped to work and act like a truck. It'll be the most reliable and the least expensive to operate over it's life." That said, dang – sometimes it's really hard to stay away from some of the cool options out there, especially when you are upgrading from a truck that is 8 to 10 years old. When I ordered my '00 F-250 I got the v-10, manual hubs, the 5 speed, the limited slip diff, the towing package etc., and thought the XLT package was a great step up from my 1990 XL. The 2015 options are light years ahead.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 AM
2015er
Junior User

I too am in the middle of a lot of research as I am buying a 2015 truck. Right now it's between Ram and Ford. I still have the Ram diesel on the list but working against it is the DEF fuel refill every 10K miles if not more frequently and 11 quart oil changes with special synthetic oil required. That makes oil and DEF fuel about $150 every 10k miles plus special oil filter required too. Not cheap. The diesel sounds good on the surface but the realities are another matter. If you're not towing much it really makes little sense. Comparatively- believe it or not - I think the Penta Star V6 makes a compelling case - no turbo - naturally aspirated, good mileage, decent quickness (7.5 0-60 times) and actually has abetter payload than the Hemi (Ram's number from their web site - not mine). The Penta Star can be ordered on the Laramie so its all good.

As for Ford the 2.7 Lariat package seems like it will be a strong contender - early HP and torque numbers are good (325/375 respectively) and the video beating the diesel Ram makes a good case. I want to see the mileage numbers and test drive it but I think it has chance to be impressive. That said I am VERY disappointed that it can't be ordered with the Lariat Luxury package - I think that is a tactical mistake on Ford's part.

So for me right now it's between the Ford Lariat 2.7 and the Ram Laramie 3.6.....

Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
It's nice to see people research for what they need as much as what they want. Half the issues with ecoboost MPG complaints is some people bought a tow monster and didn't need it.

The same thing will happen with the Ram ecodiesel. People will buy it for the MPG's not taking the time to compare maintenance costs spread over an oil change interval or a lifetime. And then they'll be slapped in the face with a max tow rating of 9200 LBs and a max payload on a Laramie equipped truck of only 1320 lbs.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 PM
2015er
Junior User
It's nice to see people research for what they need as much as what they want. Half the issues with ecoboost MPG complaints is some people bought a tow monster and didn't need it.

The same thing will happen with the Ram ecodiesel. People will buy it for the MPG's not taking the time to compare maintenance costs spread over an oil change interval or a lifetime. And then they'll be slapped in the face with a max tow rating of 9200 LBs and a max payload on a Laramie equipped truck of only 1320 lbs.
I agree and that's why I am researching this out. I actually tow very little both in terms of frequency and when I do the amount is not all that much. But i do need payload from time-to-time and the numbers on the Laramie V6 Penta Star are actually quite good - over 1,700 lbs and yet gas mileage when the box is empty is often 20mpg+. That's not bad for a truck with the appointments of the Laramie. I think the Lariat 2.7 may be even better than that but time, and the all important comparative test drives will tell.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
I had a diesel once. When I bought it I thought it was cool, loved the sound. The oil changes were expensive which was expected. The exhaust put a black film or residue on the truck, sometimes the whole truck would be clean except the back by the exhaust. The most annoying thing was finding fuel. When your not on the interstate, diesel was harder to find than gas. It all may be different now since my experience was 20 years ago. I'm sticking with gas.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Sunshadow
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I had a diesel once. When I bought it I thought it was cool, loved the sound. The oil changes were expensive which was expected. The exhaust put a black film or residue on the truck, sometimes the whole truck would be clean except the back by the exhaust. The most annoying thing was finding fuel. When your not on the interstate, diesel was harder to find than gas. It all may be different now since my experience was 20 years ago. I'm sticking with gas.

Still is. When on the road and not familiar with the islands set-up, it's aggravating trying to find the open pump that sells diesel. Usually on the end, but blocked by a compact who's in buying slurpees and twinkies.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 2015er
I too am in the middle of a lot of research as I am buying a 2015 truck. Right now it's between Ram and Ford. I still have the Ram diesel on the list but working against it is the DEF fuel refill every 10K miles if not more frequently and 11 quart oil changes with special synthetic oil required. That makes oil and DEF fuel about $150 every 10k miles plus special oil filter required too. Not cheap. The diesel sounds good on the surface but the realities are another matter. If you're not towing much it really makes little sense. Comparatively- believe it or not - I think the Penta Star V6 makes a compelling case - no turbo - naturally aspirated, good mileage, decent quickness (7.5 0-60 times) and actually has abetter payload than the Hemi (Ram's number from their web site - not mine). The Penta Star can be ordered on the Laramie so its all good.

As for Ford the 2.7 Lariat package seems like it will be a strong contender - early HP and torque numbers are good (325/375 respectively) and the video beating the diesel Ram makes a good case. I want to see the mileage numbers and test drive it but I think it has chance to be impressive. That said I am VERY disappointed that it can't be ordered with the Lariat Luxury package - I think that is a tactical mistake on Ford's part.

So for me right now it's between the Ford Lariat 2.7 and the Ram Laramie 3.6.....
Special oil filter nothing! I've done an oil change on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same 3.0L VM Motori diesel that is being offered in the Ram 1500. Its maybe just a little bit bigger than the one in the newer 3.6 VVT DOHC from MOPAR. It sits underneath the plastic engine cover. If I recall it uses a 27mm cartridge filter socket. Its been a few months since I did one so forgive me if I am wrong. 7500-10,000 miles between oil changes is a lot nicer in my mind than filling up 7-7.7 quarts of oil in a EcoBoost or 5.0L Coyote every 5k miles.

3 gallon jugs of 15w45 Diesel oil a $8 filter and something like $15.00 for a jug of DEF won't cost much more than $80 or so if you DIY. Taking it into a shop to do it just isn't really worth the extra dough that you pay.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
The EcoBoost takes 6.2 quarts of oil on 10,000 mile change cycle. The EcoDiesel takes 10 quarts at 8K intervals (using bio fuels) otherwise 10,000 miles. The EcoDiesels has a fuel seperator that needs to be service every 20K-30K. This part doesn't exist on a gas engine.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM
2015er
Junior User
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Special oil filter nothing! I've done an oil change on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same 3.0L VM Motori diesel that is being offered in the Ram 1500. Its maybe just a little bit bigger than the one in the newer 3.6 VVT DOHC from MOPAR. It sits underneath the plastic engine cover. If I recall it uses a 27mm cartridge filter socket. Its been a few months since I did one so forgive me if I am wrong. 7500-10,000 miles between oil changes is a lot nicer in my mind than filling up 7-7.7 quarts of oil in a EcoBoost or 5.0L Coyote every 5k miles.

3 gallon jugs of 15w45 Diesel oil a $8 filter and something like $15.00 for a jug of DEF won't cost much more than $80 or so if you DIY. Taking it into a shop to do it just isn't really worth the extra dough that you pay.
Thank you for the information as it is helpful as I approach this decision, I am just trying to go into this $50k+ purchase with my eyes wide open and a complete understanding of what costs will be involved with maintenance and fuel going forward. I think the mistake people make is they focus on the monthly cost associated with their purchase or lease but it doesn't end there. Fuel and maintenance are real and permanent costs through out the life of the vehicle.

That said the diesel is a great motor and can provide savings when it is used to its full potential. I don't tow a lot - no big rv or boat trailer - for my needs the V6's - either the 3.6 Ram of 2.7 Ford will likely do just fine. I am getting increasingly concerned by accounts I have read from contributors within Ford that say there is A LOT of bugs coming in the initial copies of the 2015 F150 and they recommend waiting a solid year before buying a the truck.

If the topic of this thread is skepticism of the new Ford and all the changes that are occurring - I am not yet convinced that the initial production vehicles will be worth the risk. Laying out $50,000 for a vehicle is a HUGE investment for me and I need to be sure that numerous recalls won't start to pop up. If it is a year or two to resolve these things I cannot wait that long....if these rumors turn into reality than it is looking like a Ram Laramie for me.....

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
One thing I forgot to mention is with DEF, its best to have a few rags around the hose on the jug because like brake fluid, DEF likes to ruin paint. I did not know this until I was topping off a 6.7L PowerStroke last month and the owner said just be careful with it. I probably should have looked up the specs first but I guess after a bit of digging the Ram EcoDiesel holds around 8 gallons of DEF and you buy them in I think a 2 gallon jug at around $12.99-$18.99 or so. But you do have a warming message in the dash that comes on saying how many miles you have left.

2014 RAM 1500 Features New 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel - Articles - Vehicle Research - Articles - Automotive Fleet

Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,744 Posts
I wouldn't rule out GM in the half ton segment. A new 2014 GM 5.3L runs quieter than a Prius. I compare them side by side, sound for sound, every day. I'm stunned at the progress GM has made in the evolutionary engineering of their trucks. The GM interiors have evolved tremendously as well. I know this a Ford site, but if the decision on what truck to buy relies on more than just testosterone, GM has a very competitive offering in the 1/2 ton segment.

Quick Reply: How Ford Overcame Truck Sceptics