Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

How Ford Overcame Truck Sceptics

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by daytomann
Yes, RAM caught Ford with their pants down in the twilight years of Generation 12. But cudos to them for giving buyers what they want. I mean, a great looking truck, strong V8 with 8 speed tranny and great gearing options, a strong V6 with the same. And now....what many 1/2 ton truck buyers have been yearning for for freaking years.....a Diesel! A Diesel purpose made for the half ton market.

Ford, on the other hand, seems to know what truck buyers want better than the truck buyers. That's my opinion anyway.

Yes 2015 will be very interesting. Will all the new tech be enough to bring em in? Will the real world weigh savings be anything close to their claimed savings of UP TO 700lbs? Will EcoBoost in trucks continue to play out? Will the 2.7 EB pan out?
Ford is OBVIOUSLY committed to the MAX in EB and they are gonna do everything they can to continue to put people in V6 powered half tons.

I will say that weight savings is obviously going to help EcoBoost's street cred on MPGs from 2015 on out, it will no doubt help the MPGs. The will help clear the bad taste out of a lot of peoples mouths.

Good time to be a truck man. Everyone is swinging for the fences.
My Truck has the Hemi 5.7, My wifes truck has the 5.0.

Yes I'm a V8 fanboi. I had a V6 half ton once. When I was a young, new truck buyer, funds allowed only a truck with a V6. That didnt last long. I like the V8 feel, I like the noise it makes when you throw a Magnaflow on it. If I'm not getting drastically less MPG than a EB, why would I want a V6? Not worth it to me.
No, sales have pretty much leveled leveled out. Ford still sells trucks, just not at the pace they were. We'll see if they pick back up. I know theres a valid market buyer for EB. I always ask people about their EB when I get a chance. I get about a 50/50 response. About half the people like it, about half the people are jaded and/or disappointed. There lies the problem...these guys were sold on the fact they they will be getting V8 power with V6 MPGs. All while being able to tow the world. Were their expectations too high? Maybe. Were they sold a bill of goods? Definitely. I test drove one to see what the hubbub was about. I recall what the salesweasel was trying to feed me. Its an impressive test drive, I can see why so many got excited about it. The salesweasel thought he had me hooked like so many others. LOL
Its too bad Ford wont give the 5.0 some attention. They can make it more powerful and efficient. And they can keep those jaded EB buyers happy. They cant or wont do it. Prob cause they are so leveraged into the EcoBoost commitment. An improved 5.0 would slice and dice EB sales. For the past year or so, not having a upper crust V8 is driving people to the other brand. Its provable numbers. And I see it in my enthusiasts forums and hear it from people. Hell, my boss has driven Fords for his company vehicle for years, this time around he's seriously looking at RAM.

Im glad you like yours, what kind of MPGs are you getting?
WOW! This is quite a tirade of negativity for the EB engines, but......

Originally Posted by n2umr
The Ram is a nice looking truck but it's payload and towing for similarly equipped trucks (ford v. Ram) is paltry. They didn't do themselves any favors putting the coil spring in the rear other than making is ride like a car, not a big fan. What to many people forget is the ecoboost should be compared to the 6.2 not the 5.0. When you consider that the numbers look pretty good. I get 17.5 all the time and on long highway trips I get over 20. The days of big V8's are coming to and end, it will only be a matter of time before the other manufacturers go that way also. The ecodiesel is the first step towards that. And I think Ford will be positioned well if diesel ever catches on in the states, the way they build the ecoboost motors all they would have to do is remove the spark plug and change injectors and up the compression and they will have a nice line of diesel engines.

Mark
What I highlighted is the truth pure and simple. The 5.0L is still considered as a mod motor like the outgoing 4.6 and 5.4 siblings. The 5.0L replaced the 4.6L 3V in the MUstang and the F-150. The EB replaced the 5.4L 3V and cuts directly against the Hemi and the 6.2's.

If people are disappointed with their MPG's in the EB, then they didn't do the proper research, shame on them. You get power or MPG's, rarely both and definitely not when if comes to towing.

The ecodiesel MPG's are impressive and the engine lays down all the power that anyone needs in a half ton truck but, how many on here would really be happy with just 240 HP? Most of you h ere would laugh at that and say that you'd rather buy the gas and have the V-8 rumble then to have a gutless engine.

The 3.2L being offered the 2015 Transit van would be a nice for for the F-150 but who here would actually take it? It's purposely built for idling and durability and doesn't offer any more and perhaps not as much HP/TQ as the ecodiesel. I don;t see many takers on this board.

Give Ford a chance to level the paying field here. This is a game of "oneupsmanship". My truck for instance is a 4x4 Scab with 3.31 axles, 3.5L and manages to eek out 1620 lbs of payload and 9200 lbs of towing. It has a six speed trans and weighs about 600 lbs more than a Ram Quadcab 4x4. I'm getting 22+ on the freeway and 19 all day in mixed driving.

Watch what happens when the truck goes on a diet. The payload and towing numbers increase incrementally and the MPG's will rise too. In 2016 supposedly the 10 speed will hit the market and watch what happens again.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by smlford
If the new Rams get what I'm getting in my jgc the new half ton will be getting mid to upper twenties AND with 420 ft/ lbs of torque which allows it to tow virtually anything a half ton should want to. I don't think any Ecoboost gets anything close to that.
Actually.... The Ecoboost does get 420 lb/ft of torque and produces 365 hp. All the while when properly equipped being able to tow 11,300lbs. of what ever you want. The Ecodiesel only give you 240hp. And a max tow rating of just 9800lbs. Sorry but I'd take the Egobosster all day long. Especially when considering lower buy in costs, cheaper fuel, and no extra additives at an additional cost. (DEF) Oh and cheaper and less maintenance required exhaust to go along with the fact of not using the DEF, to me it's a no brainer.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
As far as sales are concerned. I have yet to read any reports where Ford as lost sales. They just are gaining on last years numbers. And Dodge or Ram had no where to go but up. And Chevy, really... who the hell would want to buy anything from that company anymore? I mean I just wouldn't trust any product they put out anymore at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced soon they have set a new record for recalls in a single year. I really do think that company is in serious trouble.

Now as far as strong arming customers into options and products they don't want. How is Ford any different here than their competition? No one offers a manual trans in a truck anymore. There is an exception here. If you want a heavy duty 3/4 or heavier truck the Ram gives you the option of a manual trans, BUT only with the Cummins diesel. Only GM is still offering a manual shift t-case. Only Ford is giving the an option of a turbocharged V6, let alone 2 of them. Plus there is a whole list of other options that used to be available years ago that aren't anymore. Ford is not forcing anyone (at least not yet) into a v6 that doesn't want one. But I do find it funny that a V6 is the most versatile engine of any 1/2 ton truck. And probably will be with the 15 MY truck the most capable to boot.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=paredneck33;14437981]
Originally Posted by smlford
If the new Rams get what I'm getting in my jgc the new half ton will be getting mid to upper twenties AND with 420 ft/ lbs of torque which allows it to tow virtually anything a half ton should want to. I don't think any Ecoboost gets anything close to that.QUOTE]

Actually.... The Ecoboost does get 420 lb/ft of torque and produces 365 hp. All the while when properly equipped being able to tow 11,300lbs. of what ever you want. The Ecodiesel only give you 240hp. And a max tow rating of just 9800lbs. Sorry but I'd take the Egobosster all day long. Especially when considering lower buy in costs, cheaper fuel, and no extra additives at an additional cost. (DEF) Oh and cheaper and less maintenance required exhaust to go along with the fact of not using the DEF, to me it's a no brainer.
I stand corrected ( I just looked it up)!
But only getting 16/22 MPG in 2WD mode means your stopping quite a bit more than with a diesel...
As you said...to me its a no brainer...

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Im glad you like yours, what kind of MPGs are you getting?
On the highway, unloaded, I get 12L/100km all day long. That's 19.6 MPG for you American brothers. I've seen it as low (high) ?) as 11 L/100km (21.4 MPG) on some highway stretches. To me, for a 4x4 truck on AT tires that can pass anything effortlessly, that's amazing. I'm very happy with the mileage.

Lots of good info in this thread, including my posts:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-ecoboost.html

I will be updating that thread with some towing mileage later in the summer.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
seventyseven250 I completely agree with you. I think some people have just lost touch with reality and expect to much for a 6-7,000 lb truck. Especially when requiring the damn thing to pull at least it's own weight again. Really to me it's just become pathetic at this point. Bottom line is if they aren't happy with their truck, I think they should trade the thing in on the competitor truck and join their sites. At this point they just need to pick up a quarter and call someone who cares. To me this subject has been beaten to death.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I am sympathetic towards people who purchased a $50K Platinum 4x4 EB, drove it for the first time and got immediately addicted to the smooth quiet launch of this beast. At that point the rest of the deal was testosterone driven and most of the normal analytical thought processes got flushed.

Now he's complaining that his 6200 LB 4x4 is ONLY getting 18 MPG's on the freeway and he's never achieved the 21 that Ford PROMISED.

Well boo fricken hoo! Do some research.

Well, the RAM boys will also reap some issues when they purchase the 28 MPG diesel only to discover that they can no longer pull their RV, or that the diesel may not be available with their version of an HD half ton truck and the maintenance costs are as high as they would have been on the 2500 Ram which they should have bought in the first place.

Research, research, research. Oh, did I say research?! Ford, Ram and GM wishes to thank those who bought more truck than they need for their continued loyalty.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5.0 ecoboost that can run on 4 or 8 cylinders, so it runs as a 5 liter or 2.5.

Make it.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM
wfoskir
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, RAM caught Ford with their pants down in the twilight years of Generation 12. But cudos to them for giving buyers what they want. I mean, a great looking truck, strong V8 with 8 speed tranny and great gearing options, a strong V6 with the same. And now....what many 1/2 ton truck buyers have been yearning for for freaking years.....a Diesel! A Diesel purpose made for the half ton market.

Ford, on the other hand, seems to know what truck buyers want better than the truck buyers. That's my opinion anyway.

Yes 2015 will be very interesting. Will all the new tech be enough to bring em in? Will the real world weigh savings be anything close to their claimed savings of UP TO 700lbs? Will EcoBoost in trucks continue to play out? Will the 2.7 EB pan out?
Ford is OBVIOUSLY committed to the MAX in EB and they are gonna do everything they can to continue to put people in V6 powered half tons.

I will say that weight savings is obviously going to help EcoBoost's street cred on MPGs from 2015 on out, it will no doubt help the MPGs. The will help clear the bad taste out of a lot of peoples mouths.

Good time to be a truck man. Everyone is swinging for the fences.
Well a diesel in a 1/2 ton has no interest to me, and I would bet many others. Unless the milage was at least double, other wise forget it. The truck with cost more, the fuel will cost more, the maintenance will cost more. All the gas motors out there will give you great service and longevity. If you want power for towing you buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a diesel, that all there are good for now days.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think some of us are missing the bigger picture.

It's not wether an Ecoboost is better than a ecodiesel, it's about choices...

Ford, like all manufacturers try and design their cash cows, i.e. Pick ups, to be all things to all people. As we all know the F Series has been the best selling vehicle for decades. And like it or not gone are the days of the 460 cu. in. Power plant and $.27 a gallon gas.
So with the new CAFE standards being forced on us for better or worse the manufacturers and the buying public are looking for power plant choices that fulfill the consumers needs, whatever those may be.
To many like me who have had a Super Duty diesel in one form or another for decades a smaller version that gets significantly better mileage is a valid choice in a smaller truck. It should not be the only choice but just one of several......

Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
^^^^^^^^

Point well stated, reps sent.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM
beerguy214
Junior User
I have owned a f250,silverado 1500,ram 1500 and belong to all 3 forums.It is funny how people are so brand loyal they don't want to say what they don't like about their truck.lol.I will tell you I don't like ford because my f250 it was a 2005 with the 5.4 rusted so bad at the bottom of the tailgate and fender wells it was redicoulous.I also had a 2008 ram 1500 liked the power of the hemi but the truck chopped the front tires so bad you have to rotate the tires every 2-3 miles.The chevy was good but the seats sucked in it.They wore out so quick didn't have the power of the ram but felt like a stronger truck.The f250 was a good truck they all were but they all have their flaws.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 AM
daytomann
Senior User
Originally Posted by beerguy214
I have owned a f250,silverado 1500,ram 1500 and belong to all 3 forums.It is funny how people are so brand loyal they don't want to say what they don't like about their truck.lol.I will tell you I don't like ford because my f250 it was a 2005 with the 5.4 rusted so bad at the bottom of the tailgate and fender wells it was redicoulous.I also had a 2008 ram 1500 liked the power of the hemi but the truck chopped the front tires so bad you have to rotate the tires every 2-3 miles.The chevy was good but the seats sucked in it.They wore out so quick didn't have the power of the ram but felt like a stronger truck.The f250 was a good truck they all were but they all have their flaws.
Lol this is so true! I drove Fords for 20 years. I finally got tired of the 5.4 and I didn't like the direction Ford was going with their focus on turboed V6s and the styling wasn't working for me anymore. RAM wooed me with great looks, great options and the kind of engine that appeals to me. They are not perfect either but it's 90% of what I want and need. In the end, variety is good. I'm super glad I stepped out of the brand loyalty box.

However when my wife was looking for a new truck she stayed with Ford. Lol she thought the RAM looked too manly. Lol

Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I am very happy with my Eco Boost. I put 55,000 miles on it in the last 20 months. The non-towing highway mpg's as well as my commuting mileage are about 2mpg's better than my 5.4. Towing with the Eco Boost is when you'll really fall in love with this engine. I do miss the V8 sound through the Borla exhaust, I should have recorded it.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
2015er
Junior User
I follow forums for both the F150 and Ram as I am about to make the most significant and most expensive vehicle purchase in my lifetime - probably $50k (give or take) for either a new 2015 F150 Lariat or a 2015 1500 Ram Laramie. Chevys and GMC Sierras are not even on my radar. To me they're okay, solid trucks but by comparison don't offer the looks and technology as found with a Ford or a Ram and the imports are even worse - they're so far behind in their drivetrains and technology I don't think they'll ever catch up.
That all said, I am waiting to see the final mileage numbers and performance stats on both the 2015 Rams and F150s. Ram has done a lot - you Ford guys can try and talk around it and down play it but the 4 corner air suspension, the 8 speed transmissions, and the light-duty diesel and significant, game changing advancements. Credit has got to be given to these changes . I am sure some will write in response how unreliable they me be as a Ram or something like that but the fact is they're significant and they offer good value for the price and they're selling a lot of trucks including converted Chevy and Ford buyers.
At the same time Ford is keeping pace with the aluminum body - a truly game changing advancement - the investment and commitment currently occurring at the Dearborn plant and about to occur in Kansas City is mind blowing. I can't wait to test drive it and see how the aluminum body feels over the road and how the 2.7 performs.

For me its a dead heat Ram has done some really good stuff with their trucks and is a REAL competitor - Ford is moving the needle as well. I have done a ton of research as this is a major investment for me. That said it's going to come down to the test drive, the final numbers for towing/payload/engine performance, and price - who'll give the best deal.

Quick Reply: How Ford Overcame Truck Sceptics