6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

'13 and up 6.7s have 2 NOX sensors! Different part numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:07 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
'13 and up 6.7s have 2 NOX sensors! Different part numbers!

Hey guys. A heads up. I had called my dealer last week and asked them to get me a spare NOX sensor for my truck as I, like you have, heard that a few of them are failing. When I called to see if it was in yet, the parts mgr found that on the '11s and '12s there is only ONE NOx sensor, but on the '13's and '14s there are 2! One front and one rear. My cost on it is around $175 and was just wanting to let you guys out there know that the newer ones have 2 of them. And get this, they are different part numbers and look differently!!!!
QUESTION! Has anybody had a failure of a NOX sensor in a '13 or above truck? If so, which one was the culprit???

Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
'13 here...no failures for any sensor.

Watching.

On edit...I just don't see the two nox sensors. Wonder if the parts guy was referring to pickups being one sensor and then chassis cabs being a different part number.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I'll have to crawl around under mine again and look, but I thought I previously identified all of my EGT sensors and a lone NOx sensor, along with the DPF dP sensor.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
There is only one sensor mentioned in the 2013 emissions info. I only identified one sensor (nox) on mine.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Will try to call him back and see if I can get a print out of the schematic he is looking at if I get time in the next couple of days. Wonder if there are two, could it have been a mid-year change?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:08 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
'13 here...no failures for any sensor.

Watching.

On edit...I just don't see the two nox sensors. Wonder if the parts guy was referring to pickups being one sensor and then chassis cabs being a different part number.
I'm leaning towards this being the case. Since the C&C trucks have a reverse layout from the pickups with regards to the internals of the rocket ship, perhaps the C&C use the one listed as "front", whereas the pickups use the one listed as "rear". I only find one sensor and the module for it is one the frame rail right beside it. It is at the rear of the rocket ship and directly beside the last EGT probe.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
I'm leaning towards this being the case. Since the C&C trucks have a reverse layout from the pickups with regards to the internals of the rocket ship, perhaps the C&C use the one listed as "front", whereas the pickups use the one listed as "rear". I only find one sensor and the module for it is one the frame rail right beside it. It is at the rear of the rocket ship and directly beside the last EGT probe.

Correct. That is what the layout that I have indicates as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
In '13 models and up though, the exhaust layout is exactly the same now. The DOCs and DPFs are just alike unlike the '11s and '12s. I called him back today and talked with him and he is going to print me out(probably what you are looking at Scott) the pic of it. He says it shows a place for the NOX and the module, but still calls for two, one front and one rear. He gave me the part numbers, but I can't find them now. I think one is 5k202 if IIRC. I have no idea yet. This is exactly why I love this forum, You guys are so informative and easy to talk to. I will go by on my way home from work Friday morning but may not be able to post until Tuesday as as soon as I get home, we are leaving for a 5 day camping weekend. But I will let you know what I find out, if anything different than what you guys have said. Thanks!
Monty

Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Thanks Monty. Didn't realize they had changed to C&C to the same layout. When I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow as I'm on nights right now), I'll slide under and look for another sensor and module toward the front of the SCR/DPF.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Thanks Monty. Didn't realize they had changed to C&C to the same layout. When I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow as I'm on nights right now), I'll slide under and look for another sensor and module toward the front of the SCR/DPF.
Doug, I believe that was a topic of conversation a while back in a thread here, but this was brought to my attention by the dealer we took our ambulances to for the recall. We had a new '14 and was wondering why it wasn't recalled and was told by dealer that they had changed to the same layout as the pickups due to so many of that one EGT sensor failures.. I hope he was correct as that is the way I understood it.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Here is the other conversation we had about the sensors a while back.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-pickups.html

Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM
WillSharp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 and up

Originally Posted by golfmedik
Hey guys. A heads up. I had called my dealer last week and asked them to get me a spare NOX sensor for my truck as I, like you have, heard that a few of them are failing. When I called to see if it was in yet, the parts mgr found that on the '11s and '12s there is only ONE NOx sensor, but on the '13's and '14s there are 2! One front and one rear. My cost on it is around $175 and was just wanting to let you guys out there know that the newer ones have 2 of them. And get this, they are different part numbers and look differently!!!!
QUESTION! Has anybody had a failure of a NOX sensor in a '13 or above truck? If so, which one was the culprit???
I HAVE 13 F350 and their is 2 NOX sensors, front sensor is next to the frame (Very had to get at even with a crow foot wrench) and the second one is to the rear of the system (very easy to get to) and NOX sensor 1 is the bad boy
If you half to replacs ither one it will set you back $545 each sensor 1 pt# DZ3Z-9D378-A

Last edited by WillSharp; 08-08-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Gunner Wiggin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOx Sensor Failure - Heads Up!

There is a Ford 'Customer Satisfaction Program' (extension) <out to Dec 2024>. That covers the emission NOx sensor faults (various). Contact Ford with your VIN in hand. I pop'd a P2201 CEL last week on my 6.7 (2013) F350. -There was a recall on this a few yrs ago. And, the dealer is fixing this at no-cost to me. But you gotta reach out to them. Tic-Toc. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-30-2023, 02:33 PM
Gunner Wiggin
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOx Sensor Failure (a bit more)

Just a add on......P2201 Code is: "NOx Sensor 1 / Bank 1".

Old 12-30-2023, 06:27 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,329 Likes on 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunner Wiggin
There is a Ford 'Customer Satisfaction Program' (extension) <out to Dec 2024>. That covers the emission NOx sensor faults (various). Contact Ford with your VIN in hand. I pop'd a P2201 CEL last week on my 6.7 (2013) F350. -There was a recall on this a few yrs ago. And, the dealer is fixing this at no-cost to me. But you gotta reach out to them. Tic-Toc. Hope this helps.
Appreciate you posting up... you have a program number for this?

I believe it's this which I think I already had it done:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...89758-0001.pdf

yep, that's it... my truck was done last year. Here's a thread on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s+Recall+21E01

Last edited by Overkill2; 12-30-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add to post

Quick Reply: '13 and up 6.7s have 2 NOX sensors! Different part numbers!