7.3 idi is broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.3 idi is broken

So i have been running 50/50 wmo and diesel i settle the wmo for 2 months.andonly use the top off my fuel filter light came on and ir stalled i replaced the filter primedit same thing happened ina day sense i instaled an inlone filter i bypasses my fuel water seperater filter with a 3 way surged alot now runs like totally **** and by tht i mean surges misses and stalls Idk anymore

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rjrandy96
So i have been running 50/50 wmo and diesel i settle the wmo for 2 months.andonly use the top off my fuel filter light came on and ir stalled i replaced the filter primedit same thing happened ina day sense i instaled an inlone filter i bypasses my fuel water seperater filter with a 3 way surged alot now runs like totally **** and by tht i mean surges misses and stalls Idk anymore

Can I nominate this for "Most Unintelligible Post of 2014?"

If I may, can I attempt to translate this into something useful?

So I have been running 50/50 WMO and Diesel in my 7.3 IDI engine. I settle the WMO for 2 months and only skim off the top. After driving X number of miles, my Fuel Filter Light came on and my engine stalled. I replaced the filter and primed the fuel system. Ran fine for a day, but then the same dysfunction occurred. Since then, I have installed an inline filter bypassing the stock Fuel Water Separator and Filter with a threeway valve. Now the truck surges a lot and runs poorly. By poorly, I mean the truck surges, the engine misfires, and stalls when not applying the accelerator. I don't know what to do anymore.

Does that pretty much sum up your situation? If not, please clarify, and please use punctuation, grammar, and spell-check.

First things that come to mind:
Do you filter your WMO? if yes, to what micron? If no, you probably messed up your fuel system.

Surging could be a lot of things. You could have a coincidence where your got some air intrusion in your fuel system and it has nothing to do with your WMO. However, if you are running unfiltered WMO, you might have clogged your fuel lines with gunk. It might run moderately or cruddy if the fuel hose restrictions are limiting the flow of fuel.

You might want to check your fuel pump too. Are you getting fuel flowing when you crack an injector line? You can also run a temporary line to a Diesel can to rule out a problem in the fuel lines leading up to the fuel pump.

You should research WMO before running a blend. It has a much thicker viscosity than Diesel, and this can adversely affect your filter system and fuel pump.

Are you still running WMO? You might want to pull your tank, clean it, put in some clean brand new diesel, and then see if that helps. I doubt this will help, since I think you have infected your tank, fuel lines, fuel filters, and other fuel system components with WMO gunk.

As for any alternative fuel, you might want to install separate tanks, separate filters, separate fuel pumps, and whatnot, so that you can isolate these types of problems. Pouring WMO or WVO into a standard fuel tank risks your whole truck. If you got money and time to burn, then do whatever you want, but if you want a truck that will reliably run on alt fuels, you need to prepare before just jumping in.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Yes that sums it up. And yes i do filter it from 50 to 10 and finally 1micron. the fuel pump pumps great. And yes each injector line sprays fuel if you crack the line.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:51 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
I had a similar experience running WMO (from multiple unknown sources) in my 84 6.9 IDI. Lots of blue smoke, stalling and surging, and very unpredictable. I abandoned the project and, thankfully, after hooking a fuel can with a high concentration of Diesel Kleen up to the IP, I was able to get the truck to behave normally again.

I had a similar experience with the same fuel in an 83 Mercedes 300SD. Low power and lots of smoke.

I was using a centrifuge (5-10 passes) and mixing with 10-20% RUG. I could never get the truck to play nice with it.

I have no doubt these trucks can be made to run well on W85 (or what have you) but it didn't work out well for me.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have good results running a high percentage of wmo. Running it through simple filters and into the truck. I try to keep one tank with mostly diesel and the other is mostly oil. Too strong on the oil and it bogs down (starves for fuel) and will stall, but switching teams several times mixes the fuel between tanks enough to run well on it.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will point out that the IP itself has a small incoming filter inside it, if you look at the DB2 manual. If that somehow got clogged, it could cause all sorts of issues; everything is based on pressure, after all.
This filter is right inside the end-cap, where the fuel gets connected.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
if it surges you are getting air, or the governor is sticking, check the small piece of rubber hose near full pump for a hole, its on the inlet side of the pump, and the original filter head has a factory installed return line, with a orifice, and check valve to remove air and return it to the tank, install a 10 micron filter pre lift pump to protect the pump from debris from the tank after all the truck is pretty old. I have run 60% virgin motor oil and diesel with out any problems in factory fuel system.