1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT - but I want input from those with a 7.3L towmobile.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Rich IMHO the toy hauler only makes sense if you actually have a large toy or two.
At the risk of going even further OT:

Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Rich that is def a nice toy!!

Smokie

Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Need a jump? This one is diesel, with a 90-amp alternator (and power windows).

Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Just my 2 cents worth...The War Dept. and I have been RVers for more than 35 years. Our experiences have run the gammet from 3 month trips through Mexico in a 1962 Ford F250 4x4 and a 14' no-name trailer that my Father-in-law won in a poker game, to this years winter get away, 5 month trip to the California/Arizona desert with the 99' F350 SD and my 35' Lakota 5er. It should come as no surprise that we prefer the 5er.

When we purchased the 5er, our requirements were simple...3 slides and a king size bed. That shortened the search considerably, and made dealing with salesmen much easier. The bed thing is much more important than you think, and RV beds are awful. Without a doubt, you'll have to add some memory foam or something to the bed to make it somewhat comfortable.

We got much more with the 5er than we first realized. 1. Fully insulated, including the basement, 2. Double paned, tinted windows, 3. 14,000 lb. GVW, 9,000 lb. empty. We love this rig.

I agree with Franko...That extra room is well worth it. You'll find out how small these things get when you're stuck inside for a couple of rainy days, or when you get the flu.

We've only been home for 3 weeks, and we're heading out again in another 2.

See ya down the road.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
In defense of some of the TTs, they have "Arctic Packages", and several with three slide-outs (I sat in a few). The two areas where they fall short are storage and stability for traveling. One perk to a TT is you can have the toy area in the front, with a side door. This limits the weight of the toy, but it's a neat layout... particularly when it includes a V-nose.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Need a jump? This one is diesel, with a 90-amp alternator (and power windows).

Ok, that's completely BA, and I'm always looking for another exciting way to penetrate the bush, so to speak. But if you already have a 4X4 SD pulling it around, what is the purpose? With a trailer you do not need a toad. I guess I see limited additional capability at a large cost. But that's just my opinion, and God knows we all need to lead our own lives with less haranguing from busy-body do-gooders. OTOH if you need access to your backcountry gold mine and a way to haul out the goods, just PM "abercrombie" and we'll talk later.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Tugly: I agree with David. Audite primum, ad vitam.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have an uncle that has done the 4X4 stuff through the woods, and he got out of it because he kept breaking stuff and it was getting expensive. I have friends that have hiked out of the woods on 4X4 jaunts... because something broke. I saw a friend 4X4 through some trees and smash both sides of his rig on one run. Stinky is configured for street driving, and I have 4X4 because of the intense snow I drive through in the winter. I'm not about to go busting up my expensive tow rig to go play in the sticks.

The smaller vehicle is not that expensive - I've seen brand new ones for under $10,000, and shiny used ones are available in the $5000 range. I have a motorcycle that I am selling, then take that money and pick one of these up for just a couple of added Buck$Zooka pops. The added expense would cost me less cash than what I paid for Stinky's injectors alone. I don't support my hobbies with a credit card, it's all cash - so I try to keep it humble. Aside from that... if I break it, I'm a better Erector Set mechanic than I am a big iron mechanic.

I looked at some of these on the lot, and they appear to be street legal (headlights, blinkers, seat belts, and the like). I haven't done my homework yet, so I wonder if it's possible to license it. Not a big thing if it's not, but that could be a cool grocery getter and ice cream runner - it could even haul Stinky parts.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Tugly

I looked at some of these on the lot, and they appear to be street legal (headlights, blinkers, seat belts, and the like). I haven't done my homework yet, so I wonder if it's possible to license it. Not a big thing if it's not, but that could be a cool grocery getter and ice cream runner - it could even haul Stinky parts.
We have been through lots of states they are legal, funny watching them zoom up and down the roads.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
New intel! I have a 4X4 with 3.73 gearing, and the rear differential pinion gear fat lady is singing. I'm going to have the whole rear end completely rebuilt by professionals, so this is the time to ask: How crucial is it to have 4:10's on the truck? Obviously any changes to the rear would be matched in the front. I'm looking at moving the rig anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months - not full-time towing. I like the empty handling and economy I have right now, and it's my understanding the 3.73 works well with OD off... when not on 9% grades.

If things get too steep, is it death to the transmission to tow in 2nd? I can say this is what happened to my 4R100, but the HD4R100 may be a different matter (or not). My AC160/100s and a 38R (with tow tune) may be able to keep the TC locked on a steep grade... or not.

Input welcome.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I am happy with my 3.73's, but our camper is "only" 10k loaded. Only a few times have I ever struggled up a pass, most of the time it's 70 mph OD on. I don't think Stinky will have problems with all his mods and most of your miles will still be sans camper.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have towed up some pretty steep grades, with my old trans, and only once had issues, with heat. That was before 6.0 cooler, and it was a steep and slow windy road, couldn't get very good air flow.
I like towing at about 68-70 mph, about 2k rpms. 3.73s and stock size Michelins. Trailer about 12k lbs.
I don't think you will have any problems, plus your better tuning, sticks, turbo, will do fine.
I also like driving 80 or so (unloaded of course). I-25 in Colorado has 75 speed limit. I don't think I could stand it if motor was spinning higher.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by trekbasso
I have towed up some pretty steep grades, with my old trans, and only once had issues, with heat. That was before 6.0 cooler, and it was a steep and slow windy road, couldn't get very good air flow.
I like towing at about 68-70 mph, about 2k rpms. 3.73s and stock size Michelins. Trailer about 12k lbs.
I don't think you will have any problems, plus your better tuning, sticks, turbo, will do fine.
I also like driving 80 or so (unloaded of course). I-25 in Colorado has 75 speed limit. I don't think I could stand it if motor was spinning higher.
Howdy neighbor!! We are in Sterling CO now for a few months, got to test our rig over those Rockies on the way!!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi John. We are up here about 10 miles north of Ft Collins.
I am thinking about one of my toughest climbs, southbound into Ontario, Oregon. Seemed to go on for 10-15 minutes. Glad I didn't have gauges then, probably would have scared myself.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Well I have had 2 trucks on the same trailer . My 99 with 3.73 and my dually with the 4.10 . The 99 with the 3.73 had the power but was just a Little slower off the the line. The 4.10 seems to give the truck a little more off the line grunt. That said I really liked the mileage I got with the 99 trailer not in tow. The dually gives me more confidence towing ! To me just handles the rig better! When you figure it out Tug your towing time to just DD is not that much and the 3.73 just a better all around gear to have !:JMO

Smokie

Quick Reply: OT - but I want input from those with a 7.3L towmobile.