6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rear view camera wiring assistance request.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear view camera wiring assistance request.

2013 F350 Lariat with the factory OEM rear view camera. I am replacing the tailgate with a 5th wheel tailgate for a few months and would like to still retain the convince of a rear view camera.

I have obtained a Ford camera harness to use as a jumper for a non OEM camera which comes with the standard basic RCA wiring which I plan to mount to the bottom of the 5th wheel tailgate.

My hope is to wire the camera direct to the Ford wire harness which is a 6 wire pigtail. Has anyone done this and be in a position to share which wires on the camera mate to which wire on the trucks wire harness.

And preferably keep it simple so even an idiot like me can understand it.

Thanks for the assistance,

Old 05-11-2014, 03:08 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Never mind, I got it figured out and working.

I now have a rear view camera mounted to the 5th wheel tailgate. It works as the original Ford tailgate camera works IE: when in reverse the camera turns on. When taken out of reverse the camera turns off.

Total cost $25, much less then my deductible had I backed into something because of lack of camera assistance.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Doonz
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Never mind, I got it figured out and working.

I now have a rear view camera mounted to the 5th wheel tailgate. It works as the original Ford tailgate camera works IE: when in reverse the camera turns on. When taken out of reverse the camera turns off.

Total cost $25, much less then my deductible had I backed into something because of lack of camera assistance.
Any chance you can post some pics and wire diagram?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Sure, I can do that.

If you look at the bottom of the 5th wheel tailgate you will notice a small dot, that is the new camera. The wire/cable to the camera is run behind the DOT center marker lights and under the truck where the camera plugs into the Ford harness.

The camera was ordered off of Amazon for $18 delivered, the Ford rear view camera harness runs around $9 at your local Ford dealership.

The camera comes with the basic RCA plug in cables. One cable is power the other is for video. The power cable has the RCA plug on one end to plug the camera into, the other end has a red wire for power and a black wire for ground.
The video cable has RCA connectors on both ends, so you will want to cut the cable to your desired length leaving one end with the RCA connector attached. One the end you cut you will want to strip back approx. 3" of the rubber insulation of the cable. This will expose a very fine yellow wire which is the video+ and some exposed brass wire which is the video- wire.

On the Ford OEM camera wire harness you will want to cut the camera end plug off and there will be 6 different wires. Not all wire will be used, only 4 for the 6 will be spliced to the new camera.

Pin 1 Violet/Grey +12V..............Red power wire from camera
Pin 2 Grey/Violet ????...............NOT USED
Pin 3 Brown/Violet Video -.........Bare copper wire from camera yellow video wire
Pin 4 White/Green Video +........Yellow Camera video wire
Pin 5 Black (not used)................NOT USED
Pin 6 Black -12V (grd)................Black ground wire from camera power cord.

If you loose track of which black wire you use it is the flat/matted black wire Not the Gloss Black wire.

Any questions just ask and I'll see if I can try to make more sense out of what I posted.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Sure, I can do that.

If you look at the bottom of the 5th wheel tailgate you will notice a small dot, that is the new camera. The wire/cable to the camera is run behind the DOT center marker lights and under the truck where the camera plugs into the Ford harness.

The camera was ordered off of Amazon for $18 delivered, the Ford rear view camera harness runs around $9 at your local Ford dealership.

The camera comes with the basic RCA plug in cables. One cable is power the other is for video. The power cable has the RCA plug on one end to plug the camera into, the other end has a red wire for power and a black wire for ground.
The video cable has RCA connectors on both ends, so you will want to cut the cable to your desired length leaving one end with the RCA connector attached. One the end you cut you will want to strip back approx. 3" of the rubber insulation of the cable. This will expose a very fine yellow wire which is the video+ and some exposed brass wire which is the video- wire.

On the Ford OEM camera wire harness you will want to cut the camera end plug off and there will be 6 different wires. Not all wire will be used, only 4 for the 6 will be spliced to the new camera.

Pin 1 Violet/Grey +12V..............Red power wire from camera
Pin 2 Grey/Violet ????...............NOT USED
Pin 3 Brown/Violet Video -.........Bare copper wire from camera yellow video wire
Pin 4 White/Green Video +........Yellow Camera video wire
Pin 5 Black (not used)................NOT USED
Pin 6 Black -12V (grd)................Black ground wire from camera power cord.

If you loose track of which black wire you use it is the flat/matted black wire Not the Gloss Black wire.

Any questions just ask and I'll see if I can try to make more sense out of what I posted.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Doonz
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats perfect! Thank you

Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Now, this is the wiring that works on my 2013 model year. I believe that the 2012 may have a different colored harness. If it does the difference from what I have found in doing research is that the 2012 harness has a black/white wire instead of the solid black found on the 2013.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice tailgate !!!

and is that a line of fire led light strip below it ?

Looks good ! I was going to wait until after our trip to do this, but since I have the parts !

and the parts needed are:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key..._7os3j5u473_pp

From Ford: Tailgate wiring assembly DC3Z-14A412-A $9 - $11

I may mount it behind the 5er to watch the bikes - all I need is a 'little' wiring along the bottom of the 5er

Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Nice tailgate !!!

and is that a line of fire led light strip below it ?

Looks good ! I was going to wait until after our trip to do this, but since I have the parts !

I may mount it behind the 5er to watch the bikes:
I agree, that is a fine looking tailgate. And much lighter to lift and lower than the OEM. Picked it up from a Great forum Member.

That is a LED Light strip on the truck. With the factory tailgate there was not enough room to mount it due to the DOT rear maker light. But the 5th wheel tailgate sets higher at the bottom which allowed the room to mount it. I still have yet to wire the reverse lights on the LED Bar, not a difficult job to do, just haven't gotten to it.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM
walker111
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is nice work right there.
I am going to need a camera at the back of my fifthwheel as I often double tow a 10 foot flat deck with the boys dirtbikes. We don't travel far and it is legal here in Alberta but I would feel better with a camera back there especially with the overall distance over 50 feet!

Any advice welcomed.
thanks

Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Now, this is the wiring that works on my 2013 model year. I believe that the 2012 may have a different colored harness. If it does the difference from what I have found in doing research is that the 2012 harness has a black/white wire instead of the solid black found on the 2013.
I just ordered a harness, I ordered one for a 2013 the parts guys is pretty sure it will plug into the truck end OK the camera end is different though, as stated it is not needed.

Thanks to jdadamsjr for the part number.

2013 Harness $9.74
2012 Harness $29 and change

Reps Sent

Old 05-14-2014, 07:35 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
AS a side note, when you cut the Ford wire harness cut it either a few inches away from the camera plug end or around 6 inches from the larger end of the harness. The section of the wire harness does not hold all 6 wires as a few of them are capped off past these the points listed above.

Also if you loose track of the PIN Position of the black wire that is used since there are two of them, the wire you will use is the more flat black colored wire, not the gloss black wire.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Please allow me to ask a different but related question. I am thinking I need a camera which shows me the fifthwheel hitch to help hitching up. Has anyone done that and how did you accomodate running the wires?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:05 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldakerw
Please allow me to ask a different but related question. I am thinking I need a camera which shows me the fifthwheel hitch to help hitching up. Has anyone done that and how did you accomodate running the wires?
I mounted the camera on the tonneau cover box and used a Lockpick to select between the tailgate camera and the 5th wheel hitch camera.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess it would be cool to have one for fifth wheel hitch but I just turn my head and look out back window.You guys have a toolbox or something blocking view to hitch?

Quick Reply: Rear view camera wiring assistance request.