6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New to me 6.7, injector issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Achen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 6.7, injector issue?

Just bought a 2014 6.7L F250 4X4 with 124k at a dealer 2 weeks ago. The truck is deleted. About 150 miles after driving it off the lot, I got a CEL on the dash. I scanned it and it showed a P0269 code, cylinder contribution/balance. I'm not sure which cylinder the code is for because my scanner is showing the same cylinder for every code. The truck has been running well, so I cleared the code, added some Howes treatment. Roughly 200 miles later I get a CEL again, this time it was P0269 and P0272. Truck is still running fine at this point. I cleared the code again and drove roughly 400 miles with no issue.

I got off work today, went out and started the truck, and it was idling rough for about 10-15 seconds and kicked on the CEL, but cleared up for the most part however I could tell something was still off. I immediately scanned it and showed only the P0269 code again. I was able to drive it home, scanned twice while driving and the P0269 is the only code I'm getting. It isn't running horrible, but I can tell it isn't right. There's no smoking or anything out of the exhaust.

I have a friend with a scanner that can check balance rates and run an injector test, and will also read the correct cylinder for these codes. Is there any further diagnosing I should do before I throw a new injector on the truck?

Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you "throw" a new injector into the truck, you will need the IAQ off the injector programmed into the ECU.

hummmmmm......Didn't think dealers were allowed to sell deleted trucks...

Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
He just stated from a dealer, not necessarily a ford dealer, I know smaller car dealers get away with it

Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Depending on how updated your friends scan tool is, it should be able to program the injector code into the Ecu after install

Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Achen
New User
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's a small truck dealer, not a Ford dealer. We don't have e check or anything around here, so I'm not sure on legalities but that's like $1,500 I don't have to spend. I picked the truck up for 20k and it's super clean so I'm not too broken up about it.

His scan tool can do the IQA.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:34 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Being as there’s quite a bit of variables with the cylinder contribution codes, have you changed the fuel filters? Any signs of metal particles? Have seen crappy tuning do some goofy stuff.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Achen
New User
I have not changed filters yet but I just got them today. I was told it has a 50hp tune on it.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
let us know how the frame filter looks when you get it out

Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Deleted trucks are a crap shoot. You never know exactly what was done to the truck. You hardly ever get the tuner that tuned the truck.
OP you have on ly had the truck for 2 weeks and you have a CEL. I would take it back to them and get them to fix it. Hope you got one helluva deal on this truck
By the way throwing parts at this may just cost you money and still not fix the problem. Not normal for a injector to fail this quickly.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like they took a trade-in with a problem, and passed it onto you. Hopefully that's NOT the case, but it sounds like it. I hope you got the tuner WITH the truck. Way too many people, have zero clue about what tunes they are running. That boggles my mind. If you're going to tow, you definitely need to know exactly what tune you're setup with.....not just a salesman that says "it's got a mild tow tune".

Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Achen
New User
They bought it at auction, it's on the Carfax. Also has full service records which is mostly the reason I bought it. The dealer said the DPF needed replaced so they just deleted it since they have a diesel shop that does all their trucks. I called the shop and they said they did the work. It's small but they're decent volume and about 80% of trucks they sell are diesel.

I came in here asking for ways and suggestions on what to diagnose for my truck's issue. Not to hear people whine and question my purchase. If you want to do that, I'll make another thread titled "roast me".

Old 06-06-2019, 11:05 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Take it back where you just bought it. Sounds like a mess of unknowns coming from an auction.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Achen
New User
Are you kidding me? Millions of cars/trucks are sold at auction. I've owned 5 or 6 vehicles from auctions and they are no different than any other purchase point.

This has got to be the whiniest forum I've ever experienced, and on my first post to boot.

I asked for help diagnosing an issue I'm having. Bobcat is the only person being remotely helpful. You telling me to return the truck is no help whatsoever. If you have some suggestions on things I can check or tests I can do, let me know. Otherwise move on.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Achen
This has got to be the whiniest forum I've ever experienced, and on my first post to boot.
This forum is just the opposite.

Since you didn't go into more detail about the truck a few replies assumed you purchased the truck from a Ford dealer that would have stood behind the vehicle they sold. That's the reason they suggested returning the vehicle to the selling dealer to have them fix it and save yourself the hassle.

Now that we know you purchased a truck as is and are on the hook for any repairs, maybe you will get more helpful responses.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Achen
Are you kidding me? Millions of cars/trucks are sold at auction. I've owned 5 or 6 vehicles from auctions and they are no different than any other purchase point.

I asked for help diagnosing an issue I'm having. Bobcat is the only person being remotely helpful. You telling me to return the truck is no help whatsoever. If you have some suggestions on things I can check or tests I can do, let me know. Otherwise move on.
I never said to "return" it. And nobody is whining. I suggested you take it back to where you bought it for them to FIX it. 2 weeks isn't very long for an injector issue to be popping up. Auction item expert eh? Why a dealer would choose to delete, over a standard fix is pretty baffling. I'm not anti-delete either, I am deleted myself.
Your FIRST step should be to make the dealer fix it, since you just shelled out the $ to buy it from them. And I truly hope you received the tuner from them in the purchase. Lots of people don't when buying a deleted truck.

Quick Reply: New to me 6.7, injector issue?