6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rear view camera wiring assistance request.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM
tcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Guess it would be cool to have one for fifth wheel hitch but I just turn my head and look out back window.You guys have a toolbox or something blocking view to hitch?
Yes, an F350 Crew Cab with tool box and tonneau cover. The back seat head rest also impede viewing the hitch.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tcreek
Yes, an F350 Crew Cab with tool box and tonneau cover. The back seat head rest also impede viewing the hitch.
like many others, I removed the center headrest to improve visibility for hitching.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,053 Likes on 2,212 Posts
I just fold the seat down while I hook up. Part of my "ritual".

Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I lift myself up in the seat a little I can see the hitch head over the tool box out the real window for hitching purposes.

I do plan to install another camera out the rear of the 5th wheel for travel and seeing what the heck is going on back where I can't see. For that I am going to use a separate video screen, cable and camera for the best reception. My plan is to hook the power source up to one of my Upfitter switches so I can turn it on or off with the one of the upfitter switches.

Another thought I had was to purchase a home security camera set up with two cameras. Mount one on the rear of the RV, one on top of the in the bed tool box and power the unit off of the 110 power points in the truck on an as need basis.

Guess I could get a 3 camera set up and mount the 3rd camera on the front bumper. It could monitor clearance for pulling forward, or record a drivers view for use in court if some darn full pulls out in front of me and causes damage.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I just fold the seat down while I hook up. Part of my "ritual".
That's funny, most of us like having the back seat down while hooking up.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Tedkid
New User
What is a Lockpick

Originally Posted by tcreek
I mounted the camera on the tonneau cover box and used a Lockpick to select between the tailgate camera and the 5th wheel hitch camera.
This is EXACTLY what I would like to do to help align the gooseneck hitch.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey jonrjen, going to pirate your nice thread where you were able to use the tailgate you got from me....

thought I'd post that if anyone needs one of the ford wiring harnesses # DC3Z-14A412-A like used above... I never got around to doing mine before I traded the truck in on the motorhome...

Free to a good home in the DFW area - also have the camera, etc...

also, LOT's of truck/5th wheel stuff available - some of it on craigslist, but much of it is free to a good home

Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Hey jonrjen, going to pirate your nice thread where you were able to use the tailgate you got from me....

thought I'd post that if anyone needs one of the ford wiring harnesses # DC3Z-14A412-A like used above... I never got around to doing mine before I traded the truck in on the motorhome...

also, LOT's of truck/5th wheel stuff available - some of it on craigslist, but much of it is free to a good home
Hey, it's been a while.
I have enjoyed the tailgate, not only when camping, but for everyday use. I will often change out the two tailgates just to give me a fresh look to the truck. Matter of fact earlier today I pulled off the 5th wheel tailgate and installed the factory gate. It won't take a day or two and I'll be swapping back I'm sure.

That's very nice of you to offer up some of your truck and 5th wheel parts here to members on the forum. Feel free to mention what you have.

How is the motor coach glamping going?

Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Tedkid
New User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr

jdadamsjr- is the Ford wiring harness and camera still available?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM
mrt2006
New User
rearview camera pigtail

does anyone have a Ford part number for a pigtail for the rearview camera?
I need the one from the main harness

Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
Has anyone completed the project on a 2015 or 2016 Ford? The cameras I have seen on line either specify they work on models through 2014 or not for 2015. I have a 2016 F350 and only want to buy 1 camera...

Old 10-30-2016, 03:03 AM
Lilyhy
New User
rear view camera system

Originally Posted by jonrjen
2013 F350 Lariat with the factory OEM rear view camera. I am replacing the tailgate with a 5th wheel tailgate for a few months and would like to still retain the convince of a rear view camera.

I have obtained a Ford camera harness to use as a jumper for a non OEM camera which comes with the standard basic RCA wiring which I plan to mount to the bottom of the 5th wheel tailgate.

My hope is to wire the camera direct to the Ford wire harness which is a 6 wire pigtail. Has anyone done this and be in a position to share which wires on the camera mate to which wire on the trucks wire harness.

And preferably keep it simple so even an idiot like me can understand it.

Thanks for the assistance,
I checked the picture ,IT is not the factory OEM rear view camera, IT is a aftermarket backup camera. you can check the installation camera I attached from this vendor :
https://brakelightcamera.com/product...backup-camera/

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 PM
bobf350
Freshman User
2015 F350 Camera Wiring

Hello all,

I'm looking to install a license plate camera for those times when the tailgate is off and the camper is on. Here's the wiring on the (larger) truck-end of the tailgate harness I purchased to which I'll attach a camera. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem match anything else I've found on the forum. I don't know whether to trust color codes, or pin position. Anyone done this on a 2015, or have access to a wiring diagram?

Pin 1 Violet/Grey
Pin 2 White/Green
Pin 3 Brown
Pin 4 Flat black
Pin 5 Glossy black
Pin 6 Gray/Violet

Jonrjen's post is the closest I've found in terms of model years, and it doesn't match.

Originally Posted by jonrjen

Pin 1 Violet/Grey +12V..............Red power wire from camera
Pin 2 Grey/Violet ????...............NOT USED
Pin 3 Brown/Violet Video -.........Bare copper wire from camera yellow video wire
Pin 4 White/Green Video +........Yellow Camera video wire
Pin 5 Black (not used)................NOT USED
Pin 6 Black -12V (grd)................Black ground wire from camera power cord.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobf350
Hello all,

I'm looking to install a license plate camera for those times when the tailgate is off and the camper is on. Here's the wiring on the (larger) truck-end of the tailgate harness I purchased to which I'll attach a camera. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem match anything else I've found on the forum. I don't know whether to trust color codes, or pin position. Anyone done this on a 2015, or have access to a wiring diagram?

Pin 1 Violet/Grey
Pin 2 White/Green
Pin 3 Brown
Pin 4 Flat black
Pin 5 Glossy black
Pin 6 Gray/Violet

Jonrjen's post is the closest I've found in terms of model years, and it doesn't match.
But you have the same color wires. And only 4 are used. Power & ground should be easy to detect.