Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 PM
New User

reklund5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 Bronco- undoing 20 years of neglect

So a buddy of mine just bought himself a 95 Bronco. He's planning to daily drive it, and it's had 20 years of neglect and half assed repairs done to it. It's a 5.8/auto/electric shift tcase and has a ~4" lift and 35's.

Today we went through it, and it needs the usual tune up, brakes, and suspension bushing work but is pretty solid otherwise. We did an oil change and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes, and pulled about a mile of crappy accessory wiring out. We pulled the rear diff cover to investigate some noise, and discovered the spider gears had lots of pitting and were very worn. The ring and pinion look ok, and the rest of the bearings feel good with no excessive wear.

I'm hoping to find a good used of spider gears, or perhaps a complete open diff until he can afford an ARB and gear swap. I believe the rear axle is an 8.8 - can someone confirm that? Anyone have a stock open diff lying around?

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 AM
I am the NRA and I vote

gatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud ofgatorfor88 has much to be proud of
There should be plenty of 8.8 diffs in junk yards every where. And can probably find a posi unit out of an Explorer or truck. Cheap too(depending on where you are)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 358, Edelbrock performer 400 and Holley 600 carb, Erson cam. Ugly, but DAMN FORD TOUGH Speak softly and carry a large caliber. Bring them home NOW! Get out and vote or kwitchyerbitchin.
Allen
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
New User

reklund5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the input. Junk yards are hit-and-miss here in Las Vegas. And with my work schedule, I can't get to them real often. If anyone on the forum has upgraded to a locker or posi, and has an open diff laying around, that would be perfect. Anyone?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco