1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2008 E350 6.0 Diesel vs 2006 E250 4.6 Gas HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 AM
evy
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 6.0 Diesel vs 2006 E250 4.6 Gas HELP!

Hi guys,

So I still haven't chosen my van yet for my DIY campervan conversion project.
I've been searching the classifieds in my area (Montreal, Canada) for an extended van with a high top.

I almost bought a 2001 E350 7.3 Diesel but bailed out at the last minute because the van was simply to old, rusted and out of shape.

Right now I'm looking at these two van's I just discovered today and wanted your expert opinions.

They are both white, extended, high tops and they seem to look ok on the pics, no apparent rust or dents.

No.1 = 2008 Ford E350 6.0L Diesel, 75 000miles 11 500$

No.2 = 2006 Ford E250 4.6L Gas, 139 000miles 4 995$

I will be inspecting them myself (amateur) very soon but in the meanwhile if you have any comments? favorites? notes? specific things for me to inspect? etc...

Please don't hesitate!!
Thanks!

Old 05-10-2014, 02:02 AM
evy
Trailering
Yes I have heard some bad reviews about the 6.0 Diesel engine, but were the last models as bad?

I can't seem to find the mpgs, which one is best for fuel economy?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I would say the 6,0 will have better mileage hands down over the gasser. The 6.0 is a routine mainenance motor. It's all in how it was taken care of before you bought it. That will at least give you an idea as to what your getting yourself into. You have opened the diesel vs gas debate again. So it's time to sit back and watch. Check out the threads in the 6.0 forum for what to look at buying a used one.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:07 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
My own views on gas vs diesel is the rather more necessary and frequent maintenance the latter absolutely requires. Add in most of us are more accustomed and typically better outfitted to work on/around gassers and the case against a diesel grows stronger.

While diesels might indeed run "forever" they're expensive to maintain, require more than a passing familiarity with most every operational aspect in order to prevent expensive damage left unattended.

In your case of the DIY camper project I'd strongly advise against smaller gas motor----nothing less than the 5.4 for that sort of use.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another concern would be cold weather. Diesels don't tolerate extreme cold as well as gas. Does Montreal have cold weather <evil grin>?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM
evy
Trailering
Originally Posted by Army RET
Another concern would be cold weather. Diesels don't tolerate extreme cold as well as gas. Does Montreal have cold weather <evil grin="">?
Cold weather in Montreal?? wait a minute I'll go check outside my Igloo lol

My Campervan will be garaged all year long, I'm going to start adding a couple of panels to my garage door as soon as I buy the Van.

Although I plan on completely insulating the van and making it freeze proof, I never camped out in the winter before, Is it something I may like? camping season up here is May to October.
</evil>

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
evy
Trailering
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
You have opened the diesel vs gas debate again.
Actually that was not my intention or question.

It's not a "Gas or Diesel" thread, I just want to know if you have to choose between these two models, which one would you choose and why...

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 6.0 F350 and when looking at a replacement RV for our TT, I looked for another diesel/6.0. Ended up with a V10, but would have loved the 6.0 better. With that said I did find 2 with the diesel engine, engines were fine, the coaches well one was OK the wife said it was too short, the 2d well it had been lived in and never cleaned up.

Best thing is to gain some knowledge on 6.0, I put around $4000 into it for preventative maintenance, (new oil cooler, new upgraded EGR, head gaskets, studs etc). It runs strong and is not overly expensive to operate. yes the fuel is more expensive, oil changes about 2x the cost of the V10, but I paid $100 for an oil change at a dealer for the 6.0, the V10 was just $65! Also you would need to get a scan gauge to hook up to do the basic test for a 6.0 again it runs about $150 for one.

I would say if you can get the diesel checked out or are willing to do some basic upgrades it would be a fine engine. A small V8, well thats all ya got a small V8 and the performance will tell. I am a firm believer of go big when it comes to engines if you plan to do anything more than drive around town.

But again, Yes I would go for the 6.0 if it checks out good (just wish the rv had one) but you will need to go in with your eyes wide open.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM
OSHS
Senior User
As for the 6.0L, I was recently thinking of swapping this motor into my 2001 E-350 V-10, but despite the low cost of the motor, it just isn't worth it to me. The 6.0 has a bad reputation...the motor can be built to be reliable and powerful, but it takes a good bit of cash to do so. Eliminating the EGR, the DPF (this is legal in Canada), adding head studs, coolant filter kit, etc. All of this adds up. Now, I'm not saying that there are not people out there with stock 6.0s that have 200,000 & 300,000 trouble free miles. There are, but they are the minority.

Personally, I'd find a 6.8 V-10 van and be done.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
evy
Trailering
Here's some videos of the 6.0L van, tell me what you think.
The engine seems to run ok but the seller had left when I took these videos.
I want to get an engine compression test asap

2008 Ford E-350 V8 6.0L Inspection video no.1 (outside)

2008 Ford E-350 V8 6.0L Inspection video no.2 (under, passenger side)

2008 Ford E-350 V8 6.0L Inspection video no.3 (under, rear)

2008 Ford E-350 V8 6.0L Inspection video no.4 (under, engine)

Notice some oil under the transmission, should I be worried or just some O ring thingy?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
evy
Trailering
Please keep in mind that it's hard to get your hands on a van for sale with a high top already installed around here.
Buying a high top alone and having it installed is 3 000$.
So finding a used van with a high top on it is a big bonus and a good way to save time and money, simply because the sellers don't seem to ask for more money because of the high top.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM
evy
Trailering
And here's the AutoCheck report

I'm having a hard time reading this for a couple of reasons.
-2 or 3 accidents? I'm guessing fender benders because after looking at the videos there's no bent frame or anything, I did noticed bad paint touche ups.
-but it's the Odometer check that worries me, 1 year of usage 29 000km (18 000miles) then nothing, now after 6 years of usage it's at 120 000km (75 000miles), is that fishy? Why isn't there any other odometer readings?
-What are these numbers about? 88 81 69 ? in the beginning of the report under "odometer reading"

2008 Ford E350 Vans Econoline
Extended Cargo Van 3D 6.0L V8 DI

Report Run Date: 2014-05-11 10:22:48.102 EDT
<table id="ecxvin-summary-left" class="ecxreport listing"><tbody><tr><td class="ecxleft-column" width="40%">VIN:</td><td id="ecxtheVin" class="ecxvalue">1FTSS34P28DB11732</td></tr><tr><td>Title and ProblemCheck:</td><td>Your vehicle checks out!</td></tr><tr><td>OdometerCheck:</td><td>Your vehicle checks out!</td></tr><tr><td>Vehicle Use and EventCheck:</td><td>Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported</td></tr><tr><td>Full History:</td><td>Detailed information available</td></tr><tr><td>Calculated Owners:</td><td class="ecxvalue"> N/A</td></tr><tr><td>Calculated Accidents:</td><td class="ecxvalue"> 2</td></tr><tr><td>Last Reported Odometer Reading:</td><td class="ecxvalue"> 28,629</td></tr></tbody></table>
<center>88</center>
<center>81</center>
<center>69</center>

This vehicle qualifies for Buyback Protection

Safeguard your investment with AutoCheck Buyback Protection, which reduces the risk in buying a used vehicle.

AccidentCheck

Not all accidents / issues are reported to AutoCheck.

<table id="ecxaccidentcheck-list" class="ecxreport listing"> <tbody><tr><th class="ecxcheck-header">Accident No.</th><th class="ecxcheck-header1">Reported Date</th><th>Location</th></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header">1</td><td class="ecxcheck-header1">12/02/2011</td><td>MONTREAL, QC</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header">2</td><td class="ecxcheck-header1">12/10/2012</td><td>MONTREAL, QC</td></tr></tbody></table>
Title and ProblemCheck

<table id="ecxtitlecheck-list" class="ecxreport listing"><tbody><tr><th class="ecxcheck-header">0 Problem(s) Reported:</th><th>15 Title/Problems areas checked:</th></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No abandoned title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No damaged title or major damage incident record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No fire damaged title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No grey market title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No hail damage title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No insurance loss title or probable total loss record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No junk or scrapped title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No odometer problem title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No rebuilt/rebuildable title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No salvage title or salvage auction record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No water damaged title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No NHTSA crash test record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No frame/unibody damage record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No recycling facility record</td></tr></tbody></table>
OdometerCheck

<table id="ecxodometercheck-list" class="ecxreport listing"><tbody><tr><th class="ecxcheck-header">0 Problem(s) Reported:</th><th>Mileage</th><th>Date Reported</th></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>28,629</td><td>05/01/2009</td></tr><tr><td colspan="3">Kilometers</td></tr></tbody></table>
Vehicle Use and EventCheck

<table id="ecxvehicle-use-list"><tbody><tr><th class="ecxcheck-header">0 Event(s) Reported:</th><th>6 Vehicle uses checked:</th></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No fleet, rental and/or lease use record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No taxi use record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No police use record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No government use record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No livery use record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No driver education record</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="ecxvehicle-event-list" class="ecxreport listing"><tbody><tr><th class="ecxcheck-header">1 Event(s) Reported:</th><th>9 Vehicle events checked:</th></tr></tbody></table><table><tbody><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td style="color:blue;">2 Accident record(s) reported through accident data sources</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No corrected title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No duplicate title record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No emission/safety inspection record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No loan/lien record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No fire damage incident record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No repossessed record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No theft record</td></tr><tr><td class="ecxcheck-header"></td><td>No storm area registration/title record</td></tr></tbody></table>
Full History

<table id="ecxfull-history-list" class="ecxreport section"><tbody><tr><td>Event date</td><td>Location</td><td>Odom reading</td><td>Data
Source</td><td>Details</td></tr><tr><td>04/16/2008</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>Independent Source</td><td>VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER</td></tr><tr><td>05/13/2008</td><td>SAINT RAYMOND, QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>05/01/2009</td><td>QC</td><td>28,629</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>ODOMETER READING FROM CANADIAN PROVINCE
CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>05/01/2009</td><td>MONTREAL, QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>02/22/2011</td><td>QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>12/02/2011</td><td>MONTREAL, QC</td><td>
</td><td>Accident Source</td><td>MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: FRONT CENTER</td></tr><tr><td>03/22/2012</td><td>QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>12/10/2012</td><td>MONTREAL, QC</td><td>
</td><td>Accident Source</td><td>MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: REAR CENTER</td></tr><tr><td>12/12/2012</td><td>MISSISSAUGA, ON</td><td>
</td><td>Accident Source</td><td>MINOR ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: REAR CENTER</td></tr><tr><td>03/14/2013</td><td>QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr><tr><td>03/31/2014</td><td>QC</td><td>
</td><td>Motor Vehicle Dept.</td><td>CANADIAN RENEWAL</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 PM
evy
Trailering
Another thing I noticed is that the E series changed the outside front grill/lights for the 2008 models, but the inside dash only changed in the 2009 edition... Weird!