Sponsored by: DP Tuner

injector Cleaner Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
injector Cleaner Additive

Can anyone recommend a injector Cleaner fuel additive that works?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I pour in some Diesel Kleen in every tank.

Everyone has their own preferred brand.

You cant *PROVE* any of them work. Some are just backed with science.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The fuel blasts out the nozzle at between 3500 PSI and 20,000 PSI. A little snake oil ain't gunna improve on that. What has helped me is an additive that augments the Cetane level of the fuel, and added more lubrication to keep those tight-tolerance parts from rubbing each other the wrong way.

Diesel Kleen is probably the most popular here, but there are many others available on the market. Some use ashless two-stroke oil for the lubrication aspect, but I don't think that does anything for the Cetane level. What I'm doing is just making up for the reformulation of diesel since these trucks were manufactured.

Your oil is more crucial on the injectors than you would imagine. Oil is what powers the injectors, and it is not as cleaned as the fuel. Think about it: The fuel is pumped through the filter to the injectors and it's used and gone. The oil goes back for another round endlessly (dropping by and rubbing up against all your engine internals) until your next oil change. Sure, the fuel cycles back from the regulator overflow until it's burned off - but it's not wallowin' all over the place like a dog scratching his back on the carpet... for months on end.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
but it's not wallowin' all over the place like a dog scratching his back on the carpet... for months on end.
Bwahahahaha.

I use Opti-lube XPD

Cetane improver, anti gel, and is supposed to improve lubricity (make up for lack of Sulphur) I'm a fan.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel kleen here, and a little 2-stroke oil now and then..

Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oil and the injectors brings up another question. Last time I had my oil changed they wanted to add some oil sludge remover (don't think I have sludge as I have changed the oil every 5000 miles since I bought the truck with 21k miles). They add it to the oil, let it run for a bit then dump it with the old oil.. A benefit or more snake oil?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sludge remover? More snake oil, IMO.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 PM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use diesel in each tank and to that I add some diesel.....

Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I wouldn't want any sludge removed and then run through the HPOP and injectors. Sulfur doesn't lubricate, btw. The process of removing it "dries" the fuel out and decreases some of the lubricity.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 PM
ebbnflow
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Biodiesel.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:06 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I make my own brew of Opti-Lube and Stanadyne Performance Formula mixed 50/50. The Opti-Lube takes care of the lubricity and the Stanadyne boosts the Cetane. Maybe snake oil maybe not but my truck idles like a sewing machine and takes off like a jackrabbit.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 1L243
Last time I had my oil changed they wanted to add some oil sludge remover....
265K on the motor in that "sludge"... but with new injectors.

Sludge was a phenomenon back when the oil companies didn't have the formula right. The miracles of modern chemistry have resolved this issue (for decades), and sludge is just a bad memory. This doesn't stop people from playing on legacy fears to sell snake oil, though. Did they also try to sell you a DVD rewinder?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich, what are you using and at what volume per volume to raise the centane level?

As I semi-joked above, I currently don't add anything, with the simple, albeit anecdotal reasoning that an aquantence of mine has over a million miles combined on three 7.3s and has run them on nothing but diesel.........

That being said, I can buy into the argument for centane level increases to something closer to European standards assuming our engines can digest that without any side effects

Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have played with many products, consulted with many knowledgeable members, and read many technical data sheets. I have yet to find very many companies willing to share the recipe for their "Secret Sauce", so that I may make a truly informed decision. I am left only with experimentation and testimonials.

I learned the Motrocraft product comes up short on what I'm looking for, so I stopped using that one (it's mostly Kerosene). Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst works nice, but it's pricey. I saw an infomercial where this "special" oil was drawn to high heat in a fry pan (in the middle), but I have an aluminum flat pan for my French toast that warps as it heats - causing the oil to draw toward the center. Sorting all of this out is very challenging.

I am currently running Diesel Kleen, because others have had good luck with it, Stinky seems to like it, and the mix makes sense: It's not "One drop'll do yuh", and it doesn't require a $20 drum per fill-up. I just follow the instructions.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1L243
Oil and the injectors brings up another question. Last time I had my oil changed they wanted to add some oil sludge remover (don't think I have sludge as I have changed the oil every 5000 miles since I bought the truck with 21k miles). They add it to the oil, let it run for a bit then dump it with the old oil.. A benefit or more snake oil?
I have seen some engine flushes that are suppose to be used if you switch from dino oil to synthetic. But in the fine print, it says to not use in a turbo charged motor. As long as you change the oil like you're suppose to, use good filters, (oil, air, and fuel) I see no reason why your motor would get sludge in it.

Quick Reply: injector Cleaner Additive