6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Possible 6.2L Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 PM
cterrysgd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible 6.2L Buyer

Hello everyone! I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading tonight. Just looked at a '13 F350 Crew with 6.2L 4x4 and 4.30 Electronic locking rear.....

It drove very nice but didn't get a chance to lay into it because of traffic and the salesperson in the truck with me. I'm retiring my 2005 6.0L F350 Crew with 68,000 miles. I've always loved the power in my current truck but am ready to move into a gas motor as I only really drive the 2005 in the winter now. It sits too much to maintain a diesel and I don't do any long distance towing anymore so I'm okay with going back to a gasser. I'm also scared of the maintenance I will have to start putting out for the 6.0L motor as I haven't had to do anything to it other than changing the oil and fuel filters in 10 years now. I'm not interested in a truck that sits and starts breaking the bank with misc repairs for the diesel motor.

I've searched a bunch and have two main questions.....

1. What's the deal with the HP and Torque ratings being lower for trucks over 10,000 GVW?? Is the engine really de-tuned or did they have to play some rating game with the numbers for some reason?

2. Will this motor/rear combo be good for plowing, around town driving and an occasion once a year towing over 50 miles?

Also just want to check that the 6.2L motor doesn't have the same valve tap/chain slapping noise that my 2005 F250 with 5.4L motor has. I've had the valve train noise since the truck was 3-4 years old.... Doesn't seem to effect the performance any but its sure annoying to listen to while driving.

Any real deterrents for the 6.2L gasser other than the occasional person complaining about the MPG?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
1. Same power. Different numbers from different parts of the curve.

2. Yes. I have a '14 F350 6.2 4x4 with 4.30's.

It pulls well.
My engine is very quiet.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
cterrysgd
Senior User
Originally Posted by BossGasser
1. Same power. Different numbers from different parts of the curve.

2. Yes. I have a '14 F350 6.2 4x4 with 4.30's.

It pulls well.
My engine is very quiet.
Thanks Boss! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a truck rated to haul more than an F250 with a de-tuned motor.....

Any idea approx what RPM you see at 70MPH with the 4.30's?

BTW... What's a Boss 6.2l?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Powelligator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall running about 2200 RPM at 70 MPH, I have the 4.30 gears but with the smaller diameter 18" tires and rims due to the Camper Package.

The 6.2 is a completely different design from the old 5.4 Triton, apples and oranges. Mine is silent at idle.

-Joe

Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Like everyone has said same tune same motor and it's quiet until you get on it hard then it sounds like a 70s muscle car. At 65 mine runs 2K with 17" tires (DRW) 6th gear. It likes to pull and will do it all day long without any problems, I pull mine at its max GCWR.

The one major drawback is it's just to fun to drive even for a old retired fart like me.

Denny

Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM
cterrysgd
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Like everyone has said same tune same motor and it's quiet until you get on it hard then it sounds like a 70s muscle car. At 65 mine runs 2K with 17" tires (DRW) 6th gear. It likes to pull and will do it all day long without any problems, I pull mine at its max GCWR.

The one major drawback is it's just to fun to drive even for a old retired fart like me.

Denny
Sounds like you're very happy with the setup! Any comment on MPG loaded v towing on the highway?

Thanks for all the info!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
cterrysgd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Powelligator
I recall running about 2200 RPM at 70 MPH, I have the 4.30 gears but with the smaller diameter 18" tires and rims due to the Camper Package.

The 6.2 is a completely different design from the old 5.4 Triton, apples and oranges. Mine is silent at idle.

-Joe
My 5.4L truck not only makes the valve train noise at idle but also while accelerating.... Sounds like an exhaust leak to the untrained ear. I've tried every different kind of oil and oil additive but no luck. It quieted a little with 15-40 diesel oil but is only about 75% of the noise that it makes with the 5-20 or whatever Ford calls for..... I would just hate to make another investment in a nice truck and have something surface like what happened to the 5.4 after it ran out of warranty. I think it was a year past the warranty deadline and Ford would do anything other than offer to fix if for $2,500. Then they claimed it would probably come back within a year anyway. So no more 5.4L for me.....

From what I'm reading most people love the new 6.2L though.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
These trucks aren't the best for mpg's, even when mine was stock, it was showing somewhere around 13mpg's, but my speedo was off so I suspect the mpg's weren't reflecting correctly either. With the tuner and 35's (my speedo is spot on now), I'm around 10mpg's city (empty), around 13mpg's hwy. I'm not easy on the throttle so I would suspect this would be a worst case scenario. I just towed a few thousands pounds to WV last weekend and was around 12.5 there and back. Driving habits and environment will sway those numbers quite a bit, but I seem to be on the side of the spectrum of low mpg's.

I never had a 5.4, but the 6.2 (w/ 4.30's) is a vast improvement over my 2000 6.8.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
BossGasser
Elder User
"Boss is the internal name for a family of large displacement V8 engines from Ford Motor Company intended to compete with Chrysler Hemi engines and General Motors' 6.2 L Vortec engines."

Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 AM
DCP
Senior User
Originally Posted by cterrysgd
Hello everyone! I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading tonight. Just looked at a '13 F350 Crew with 6.2L 4x4 and 4.30 Electronic locking rear.....

It drove very nice but didn't get a chance to lay into it because of traffic and the salesperson in the truck with me. I'm retiring my 2005 6.0L F350 Crew with 68,000 miles. I've always loved the power in my current truck but am ready to move into a gas motor as I only really drive the 2005 in the winter now. It sits too much to maintain a diesel and I don't do any long distance towing anymore so I'm okay with going back to a gasser. I'm also scared of the maintenance I will have to start putting out for the 6.0L motor as I haven't had to do anything to it other than changing the oil and fuel filters in 10 years now. I'm not interested in a truck that sits and starts breaking the bank with misc repairs for the diesel motor.

I've searched a bunch and have two main questions.....

1. What's the deal with the HP and Torque ratings being lower for trucks over 10,000 GVW?? Is the engine really de-tuned or did they have to play some rating game with the numbers for some reason?

2. Will this motor/rear combo be good for plowing, around town driving and an occasion once a year towing over 50 miles?

Also just want to check that the 6.2L motor doesn't have the same valve tap/chain slapping noise that my 2005 F250 with 5.4L motor has. I've had the valve train noise since the truck was 3-4 years old.... Doesn't seem to effect the performance any but its sure annoying to listen to while driving.

Any real deterrents for the 6.2L gasser other than the occasional person complaining about the MPG?

Thanks!

Chris
No stock gas engine will match the towing power of a turbo diesel, but the 6.2L gas with the 4.30 gears pulls good, it's what the same combo that I use to pull our 30' gooseneck with. I chose the gas because the diesel option was $8,100 more and the PowerStroke isn't known for it's relibility. Plus the maintance cost of owning a gas it a lot cheaper than a diesel.
1. Ford only detunes the 6.2L gas engines in there F-350 chassis cabs.
2. The combo will work great, I pull up and over 15K with mine all the time and at hundreds of miles at a time. You will have to get use to a lot more higher RPMs than you were use to with a diesel. The 6.2L gas likes to pull around 4,500-5,500 RPMs. I've always locked out 6th gear when towing and don't be afraid to use the "M"anual mod when pulling long grades and/or if the transmission is hunting for gears all of the time.