Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 08:55 AM
New User

JD'sBigredv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Long time lurker

After lurking around for a couple years, I've finally jumped in. Since buying my truck two years ago, this has often been my first choice for information. What a great resource! Here are the details of my ride; 2005 F250 XLT FX4, 49,800 miles, black leather, vermillion red, CC, LB, 2 1/2" leveling kit, 325/60R20 Goodyear Duratracs, 5star tuned, Roll-n-Lock bed cover. At this moment it probably still has 4.10 gears but it is in the shop awaiting 4.88s. I should get it back today or tomorrow. I tow a relatively light travel trailer (7400 lbs.) but often for great distances. From the San Diego area, my family has traveled to Oregon, Yosemite, Zion and Bryce Canyon. This summer we head out to Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Durango and the Grand Canyon. Lots of long pulls at high elevations, hence the new gears! I have owned Ford trucks ever since I bought my first new vehicle (a 1989 Ranger followed by two F150s) but this is the first one that I have ever loved. There is just something about a big, red V10!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Illinois Chapter LDR

KOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputationKOESTNER has a superb reputation
You'll love your choice JD. Welcome to FTE. BSEG!

JOIN THE ILLINOIS CHAPTER HERE
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
Welcome to FTE JD, thanks for sharing about your truck.

Load some pictures up so we can see the setup. Would like to see some cool pictures from your future trip as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
New User

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to get some pictures up this weekend. I can't figure out how to load a picture directly into a post. Maybe that function isn't available to a newbie.The regear didn't get finished yesterday so I will pick the truck up after work this afternoon. I think I read every post on this forum about regearing. I considered going to smaller tires. At the end of the day, so many people stated that 4.30 was the sweet spot for this truck. The only way I was going to get there was with new gears. Now I hope to have the best of both worlds; 35" tires and top performance! Who knows, maybe my mileage will even improve around town and while towing.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Welcome to the BSEG club
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM
New User

Okay, this is the second time I've been invited to this "club". I invested some brain power in trying to figure out what BSEG stands for and came up with nothing. Not an unusual circumstance to find myself in! Before embracing my membership, can I get an explanation? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
It's something coined by early members of the V10 owner's club here at FTE.

Big **** Eatin' Grin.

Because after they realized their 6.0L diesel was a nightmare, they moved to a V10 and couldn't get the grin off their faces when faced with no unscheduled maintenance
Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
New User

Got it! Although I have never owned a diesel, I certainly considered it. I test drove a couple 6.0s but wasn't too happy with their reputation or all the racket they made. My truck is not a daily driver so it spends a lot of time sitting in the driveway waiting. On the weekends it makes plenty of short trips. I decided that my application was better suited to a gas truck. I knew right away that I wanted a v10. It just sounds cool. My truck has more cylinders than it gets MPG and I wear that as a badge of honor! I might not feel that way if I was using it for my daily commute but for my needs...oh well!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Senior User

ncl is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a BSEG on Saturday towing camper for first time with my new to me 05. Love these motors.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Mechanic By Necessity

Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.
My BSEG gets bigger every time I get back in the truck after driving any of my other vehicles.

Welcome to the club, brother!

RIP "Lady Grey" - '05 F-150, 5.4l, FX4, 134k, 6" Rancho Lift, 35" Duratracks, Edge Evolution, Ranch Hand front bumper, was Fiancée's truck
Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 PM
New User

Thanks for all the words of welcome. I just realized that I need to be a paying member to post pictures so I took the plunge!
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that thing is RED!

Nice..
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
Nice looking rig JD. Thanks for sharing the pictures. If you get a chance post them in the Super Duty section Ultimate thread.

FYI- you only need to be a supporter for attachments. Otherwise use a file sharing site like photobucket and copy the IMG link from there to here.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Mechanic By Necessity

Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a great reputation on FTE.
Yeah that is a pretty rig for sure. Good to see you are using it for actual real truck stuff, too.

RIP "Lady Grey" - '05 F-150, 5.4l, FX4, 134k, 6" Rancho Lift, 35" Duratracks, Edge Evolution, Ranch Hand front bumper, was Fiancée's truck
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
New User

Thanks for the compliments. I love the way my truck looks and there isn't much I enjoy more that spending time in the driveway keeping him shiny. The shine (and blinding red color) distracts the eye from all the scrapes, dings and dents that he has acquired over the years. As a working truck, it has seen plenty of miles towing and hauling...I just wash him up when we are done. Proof positive that you can work hard and look good!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM