roof caulk

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
roof caulk

Any recommendations on what caulk to use on the seams of the roof on my pop up? The edges need it.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Dicor self-leveling on the horizontal, Dicor non-leveling on the vertical, although I use self-leveling everywhere I can as I find it easier to work with. Pricey, but good stuff.

Steve

Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Dicor self-leveling on the horizontal, Dicor non-leveling on the vertical, although I use self-leveling everywhere I can as I find it easier to work with. Pricey, but good stuff.

Steve
Any suggestions on the best way to clean the old stuff out without damaging the roof?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Any suggestions on the best way to clean the old stuff out without damaging the roof?

I don't want to start a debate over caulking, but my position would be if it is well stuck down, leave it. The self-leveling will puddle right over it. Otherwise, I use a wide blade "Old Timer" knife I have been using for nearly 30 years. My dealers call it my "putty knife". Pretty sharp, but not like the one I use for fine cutting with a broad blade. Then I just take my time. It really depends on the shape of what is already there.

The worst removal jobs are the one where I have to install a second air conditioner on newer units where the caulking is still fresh and well stuck down. There is will take me longer to get the roof clean and the old vent up, then it does to install the AC. Hate those!

Steve

Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I'll take a picture of the roof when I get home. I will probably just clean it up real good and then use the self-leveling stuff over top of the old stuff. Thanks Steve!!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I'll take a picture of the roof when I get home. I will probably just clean it up real good and then use the self-leveling stuff over top of the old stuff. Thanks Steve!!
Unless it is really trashed, I don't think there is any reason to get into "overkill".

Steve

Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just make sure the new caulk goes beyond the old stuff.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by thomabb
Just make sure the new caulk goes beyond the old stuff.
In my experience there are a number of factors that affect whether caulking holds. Usually Dicor over Dicor or something similar from the factory does pretty well and it is easy enough to tell. Try a little and see how it holds. Once it dries, try to pulling it free. Of course, over silicone or something similar forget it. I realize some folks feel strongly the only way to correctly caulk is to take the old up before putting down new, but I just haven't found that to be necessary in many cases.

Just my thoughts,

Steve

Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Zrock
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just take it to your local rino liner dealer and have them to a color match rino line on the top.. I just bought one to gut. Top looked sealed well. took the top off and drained 5 gal of water out of it..

Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience there are a number of factors that affect whether caulking holds. Usually Dicor over Dicor or something similar from the factory does pretty well and it is easy enough to tell. Try a little and see how it holds. Once it dries, try to pulling it free. Of course, over silicone or something similar forget it. I realize some folks feel strongly the only way to correctly caulk is to take the old up before putting down new, but I just haven't found that to be necessary in many cases.

Just my thoughts,

Steve
Steve,

Have you used Eternabond before? It also looks like a good alternative.

Your thoughts?

Amazon.com: EternaBond RSW-4-50 White Roof Seal: Automotive Amazon.com: EternaBond RSW-4-50 White Roof Seal: Automotive

Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
However, DON'T use Dicor on the skylights! They are made of polycarbonate (Lexan), and Dicor will cause them to crack.

There's a special sealant used for skylights only, called SureBond SB-140. Hard to find, but less trouble in the long run.
Amazon.com: BriRus SB140 Skylight Sealant: Automotive Amazon.com: BriRus SB140 Skylight Sealant: Automotive

Pop

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a roll of that Eternabond tape to reseal the seams on the top of my slides. It looks like the stuff the factory uses. It works well, you just have to make sure you press it down as hard as you can.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by r2millers
Steve,

Have you used Eternabond before? It also looks like a good alternative.

Your thoughts?

Amazon.com: EternaBond RSW-4-50 White Roof Seal: Automotive
I do use Eternabond and it is good stuff but pricey. If you run it across the roof so the wind hits the edge, you should run a bead of caulk as it will lift over time. Also needs a clean surface. I do not use it to seal vents or sky lites as it seems to do less well in those applications, perhaps due to incomplete surface prep. It does not remove the need for careful workmanship and I too often see it applied carelessly as though it will make up for sloppy work (not saying that applies to anyone in this forum, I just see a lot of bad stuff).

Steve

Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
However, DON'T use Dicor on the skylights! They are made of polycarbonate (Lexan), and Dicor will cause them to crack.

There's a special sealant used for skylights only, called SureBond SB-140. Hard to find, but less trouble in the long run.
Amazon.com: BriRus SB140 Skylight Sealant: Automotive

Pop
If you buy a sky lite or sky lite kit, the caulking comes with it, at least with all the ones I order. You will also need a roll of putty tape if doing a replacement.

Steve

Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If you buy a sky lite or sky lite kit, the caulking comes with it,
I ordered a skylight and I didn't expect to have the caulking come with it, so didn't go through the packing material very well. After ordering and waiting for the SB-140 to arrive separately, and after the install was complete and curing, I was throwing away the box, and I found the tube.

Now I have a spare that I keep in the refrigerator.

Pop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roof caulk