1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My first rebuild

Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My first rebuild

Figured I would star a new thread for this seen as my problem is no longer with the autolites. I tore down the 2000 motor a couple of weeks ago to rebuild so I could keep the 97 all together as a complete motor. But I found out last week that the motor is beyond .040 out and cylinder #2 would need to be sleeved. So now I am in the process of tearing into the 1997 motor so I can get it into the machine shop. Unfortunately I'm right in the midst of spreading a lot of manure then plowing, cultivating and planting corn so free time to get it done is a little scarce. On another note I've got the filter assembly for the e-fuel made and started to clean out the intercooler. I'll let you guys know when I here word back about the 97 motor. I'm hoping I can bring it to the machine shop by the end of the week but probably won't find out about the insides till the following week

Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Mine is a just a 'hair' low on compression but I'm interested in these threads. Oldwoods disappeared and I was watching his rebuild thread. I guess he threw you the ball Nick, LOL!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Hahaha. Well I seem to keep running into obstacles. I blew a hydraulic hose on my loader this morning so that'll probably be at least a half a day by the time I get a new one made then back onto the machine. I'm only about halfway done spreading manure as well and it's supposed to rain tonight. Just keep plugin away till I can't plug anymore

Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha! funny that I got the shout-out in just the 3rd thread I read after logging in for the first time in months today. Thanks Glenn! and yes, I did disappear, but hopefully not for good. Work has been absolutely crazy since the beginning of the year and I've been forced to put my truck/engine rebuild project on hold until late summer/early fall due to about 5 other big projects around that house that need doing - like replacing the complete AC system on the house. ...luckily its been a cold spring but the clock is sure ticking on that one!

anyway, sorry for the hijack, Nick. I'm gonna follow this thread as well, as my rebuild project is not dead, just on indefinite hold, unfortunately. and I'm sure I won't be around here as much as I'd like, but hopefully i'll be lurking a bit more than I've been able the last few months (which was pretty much zero).

got any pics or advice on that intercooler cleanout process? I picked up a pretty dirty 6.0 one myself and cleaning it up and pressure testing it is definitely in my plans.

Good luck with the work - both truck related, and otherwise!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Good to see your still kicking JP, LOL!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
No apology necessary for the hijack. I started by rinsing it with 160* water which didn't work as well as I had hoped and with it being a plastic tank cooler I don't really want rouse any harsh chems on it so I'm going to try soaking it in detergent then rinsing it out with the hot water again. The water alone did quite a bit but not enough IMO. It looks like I'm going to get rained out tomorrow so I may have time to tear it down or at least get close. Although if the weather breaks I'll be back in the tractor so idk.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had hoped to rebuild the '97 engine I have on a stand this summer, but I don't think the funds are gonna be there for it this year. I actually want to rebuild two....one for my project truck and one for my dually. Good luck with the rebuild. Take lots of pics!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I made some progress today
[IMG][/IMG]
Got the heads off. I've still got to get the front cover off but didn't have a harmonic balancer puller and have to get the lifters out. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I finished tearing down the motor tonite. I now see why the one cylinder was so low in compression. There was a few scores in it but the rest are in excellent shape. The main bearing definitely have some wear. But I guess that's probably normal with 300k when your surrounded by mountains. [IMG][URL=http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/klassennick/media/2304051B-F3E4-424C-8055-6916E875AEBF_zpsl6emtdnj.jpg.html][IMG]
I am going to drop it off on Monday and se if he can rough it in by mid week. Although I'm not all that hopefully. Odds are roughing will be mid next week.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Progress Nick! I'm curious on this, good luck!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Yes I did glen. I'm guessing I'm not the only one that can't see that post. It's the second one that did that when adding a photo. The cylinder with the lowest compression had definite scoring in it. All the others were flawless. Also the main bearings were showing pretty good signs of wear. But only on the cap side, which makes sense with that being the side that gets the pressure. Aside from that I am going to drop it off tomorrow morning and hopefully know how far out it is by mid week.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
It looks like I'm going .030. Amazing how much compression that cylinder had with it being out that much. I'll find out about the crank first thing monday and then I can get the pieces ordered. I'm in the process of cleaning up all the parts and while spaying out the rad I noticed the fins are starting to corrode. I may as well replace it now while it's out and not have to worry about it in the future.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to see it go together Nick! I have an engine on a stand in my shop that I want to tear down and see if it can be rebuilt. When I got it, it was rolled over on it's side with the driver side head sticking straight up, the valve cover off and two injectors gone. Those two cylinders were full of water and I have no idea how long it was like that. I don't think too long, but hopefully the crank isn't pitted bad and I can rebuild it. Good luck on your rebuild, and take lots of pics!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I have to admit. It's quite interesting. I spent most of the day scraping oil and dirt then washing it in the solvent tank. I still have a few ore pieces to go then I can sandblast it all.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep up the good work, Nick. I'm interested to see how this turns out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first rebuild