1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My first rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If the motor is in the truck, how would you clean the hole out without getting stuff inside the motor?
I don't know if you could. Although I'm don't really think the retaining compound would hurt anything. I read a thread in the 99-03 forum about someone having to do a couple of cups multiple times and the problem was in the prep work. I'm glad my heads were on a bench for this

Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you're making progress Nick!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Glad you're making progress Nick!
Thanks Darin. It was short lived though. I ended up going camping with the kids and then we went on a hike with some friends

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey nick - great pictures and beautiful country, there.

I'm trying to get back in the game on my engine rebuild and truck refresh and had some questions on the injector cups for you (and all the other experienced rebuilders out there). I guess I'm really just refreshing my engine, and more rebuilding the truck... anyway, the engine at 200k miles and had no issues prior to me pulling it from the rusted, beat up truck it was in previously (which I owned for the last 20k miles of its life). I checked compression and all was fine, so I'm leaving the heads in place, doing e-fuel, bigger injectors, HPOP, turbo, etc.

my plan for now is to leave the injector cups as is and just deal with it later if they start to go. I figure, since I'm not pulling the heads, the only advantage of doing it now is not having to lean over the fender to do it - as you point out, I really wouldn't be able to clean any better than later.

so my question is - do you have a sense for how well seated/tight all the old cups were relative to each other? or was there any way to tell how much old retaining compound still remained on them? from the one picture it looked like it had been 'washed off' of one side more than the other, but that could just be camera artifacts.

also, forgive me for not searching back through your thread, but how many miles were on this engine prior to rebuild?

thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I couldnt really say if there is a way to check the cups. I just pulled them out. It was one of those things I really didn't want to have to deal with in the truck and for the price of the cups and rental tool I figured it was a good time. Also I think the cups crack before the retaining compound breaks down. My truck has 440,000 kilometres. About 275,000 miles. It had one scored cylinder which I wonder if it's from the age cold air intake. (Truck came with it). I'm gonna put on a 6637 before I start the truck

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I can show you a cracked one lol.somebody replaced an engine that all I could find wrong was one cup.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I couldnt really say if there is a way to check the cups. I just pulled them out. It was one of those things I really didn't want to have to deal with in the truck and for the price of the cups and rental tool I figured it was a good time. Also I think the cups crack before the retaining compound breaks down. My truck has 440,000 kilometres. About 275,000 miles. It had one scored cylinder which I wonder if it's from the age cold air intake. (Truck came with it). I'm gonna put on a 6637 before I start the truck
i figured i'd be tough to tell. and your right - cracked is the big issue. did any of your show any signs at all of "almost cracking" i'm not even sure what that would mean, but did you notice any thin spots or anything?

Originally Posted by fordman67
I can show you a cracked one lol.somebody replaced an engine that all I could find wrong was one cup.
haha! you have a picture of crack? :-)
so did you get to keep the engine?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:40 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Not that I could tell. And I don't know if they were original or not

Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Yea...someday I hope to build it for in my truck. I was trying to figure y it was pulled.
So where is pics of this mythical fresh block?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I got to re assembling the bottom end last night. I started to lay everything out and noticed that I am 1 second ring short. S*#€. Aside from that I did still get some of it together. Everything has been within spec so far. I didn't really get any good pics last night but I will try tonight.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I couldn't find any individual rings nor single piston sets in western Canada. All I have found is complete sets which are way out of my budget. With rre on right now I can't see much hope of getting anything happening this week so hopefully I can get the ring by next weekend. I've got almost everything I need to run the truck and I am being held up by a single piston ring. Seems like every time I see a bit of light I get kicked in the beans and tossed to the curb. The worst part is that every part is at least 4 business days to ship

Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nick, did you check with Ford?

You bought new rings and are short 1? Is that right? The way you're talking I'm guessing you did and got them from riffraff? You didn't happen to get it balanced and leave a ring at the machine shop, did ya? Just thinking out loud.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
No the machinist doesn't have it. I tried international and it's a factory order thing with unknown eta and ford is MIA. Apparently there parts guy is pretty busy today so idk if he will get back to me today or not

Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Clay just returned my email. He says he will get a ring from another kit and deal with ford on the warranty. it won't be shipped till Monday so odds are I get it Thursday or Friday. Pretty good service when a guy still answers his emails when he's hosting rre

Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's for sure Nick, that's exactly why Clay is so popular!

Quick Reply: My first rebuild