1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My first rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
No, after the 15-20 seconds the pump shuts off. If you start it in that time frame the oil pressure switch takes over and if no pressure, it shuts down. I like it because if I want to leave the key on for some reason the pump stops.
I just looked at Strictly Diesel's site, and they use a fuel pump controller to shut the pump of after 20 seconds. Must be some sort of a timer. That's why your oil psi switch only has two terminals. The way I have mine wired, the pump doesn't run until I turn the key to the "start" position.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my power from the big lug going to the glow plugs. I haven't hooked the ground up yet. I want to do that tonight and clean up some wires and put the other battery tray in. Then I will test it out. Technically it should go on at key on and out when the gps shut off. At which point the fuel heater wire will have taken over any way.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I got my power from the big lug going to the glow plugs. I haven't hooked the ground up yet. I want to do that tonight and clean up some wires and put the other battery tray in. Then I will test it out. Technically it should go on at key on and out when the gps shut off. At which point the fuel heater wire will have taken over any way.
Gotcha. Makes sense now. Did you use the GPR for priming?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
No I didn't. I switched it to the main power terminal for priming. It seems to work well though. It's nicely sitting at 60 psi. What pressure do you guys normally run your system at.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
65 iirc ...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anywhere between 50-100 is likely going to be fine. 65 as mentioned is a nice number to aim for, a bit more wont hurt anything.
For my veggie truck, I run the diesel at 70, and the veggie side 85psi so that it is clear which system is on for trouble shooting purposes. At either pressure, the only way I can tell the difference is because of the gauge, truck dosnt know the difference...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I run mine at 70psi.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great Nick. I have long thought about robbing a fuse and relay block from another vehicle and using it for this kind of wiring as well. It makes it look a lot cleaner on final install.

Are you a HAM as well? I don't operate much anymore, but I still keep my license valid for field day and the occasional chat in the truck.

One benefit of the way you have it wired is that you'll know if for some reason your GPR stops working (you won't hear the pump come on)!

Keep up the good work, you're getting really close to firing it up!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Been a while Nate. I was wondering when you'd be back. I'm by no means a ham. Just full of BS. I got to know a lot of drivers on the road and try to keep up with them while I can. I am getting close. I was hoping to fire it up this weekend but some reevaluations are looking more like next week. I'm just not going to get enough time to focus on it.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
So you're one of those "unsanctioned" CB'ers eh!? Haha. I do both actually. I got my amateur radio license about 10 years ago and it is something I do enjoy from time to time, but I don't spend much time on it. I do love having a CB for road trips, though. Nothing makes the time fly like a good conversation (but you already know that, it seems). Enough of that, I'm showing my geek roots. Back to diesel trucks!!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I think the canadian vs. U.S. regulations for radios are a bit different. I've got a 30 watt programable vhf for 136-174(I think those were the numbers) MHz. CB's here are limited to 3.5 watts which doesn't leave much time to bs when the other person is going the other direction. We don't need an individual licence to use these but I do have to register the radio yearly. I have been told that I need to remove the mic if I cross the border though. I have thought about getting a licence. It's just not high enough on my list yet. Don't worry about being a "geek" around here. It'd be pretty boring if we all stuck to diesels.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
I worked at a McDonalds in high school until I got an automotive based job. There was a guy who had such a powerful linear that when he keyed up he shut our drive through system down!!!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordman67
I worked at a McDonalds in high school until I got an automotive based job. There was a guy who had such a powerful linear that when he keyed up he shut our drive through system down!!!
hmmm. Yeah that could be concerning. Mines pretty low powered. On another note, my ash tray in the truck was broken when I got it, so I stuffed my radio in the hole. I just got a replacement ash tray and now need a new place to put it. Problem is under dash real estate is getting scarce. Between the brake controller, transfer case shifter, 5 speed shifter, and factory aux idle controller. Where have you guys out yours?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
In the US, that is what we call the 2 meter amateur band (144-146 MHz). That's what I run in my truck (along with the CB which is limited to 5 watts here). In the US you have to have a license to operate on that band, regardless of the power. The Yaesu I have in the truck is rated for 65 watts.

Those kinds of linear amplifiers are illegal for CB use, but with the proper Amateur band license in the US, you can run up to 1500 Watts on some frequencies. That's a lot of power. You can actually take a fluorescent tube outside, hold it up in the air and it will glow when you key up with that kind of power. I have some buddies that run that kind of power, but about all I'm geared up for is about 100 watts. That's plenty for me to talk all over the globe with a decent antenna.

As for the real estate issues, I'm with you there. I have actually considered removing my ash tray just so I could stick a radio in that hole. As it is, I don't have a permanent home for the CB. What I think I may do, is swap radios with the one VHF I have in the house, which has a removable faceplate. If I do that then I can mount the radio wherever and just stick the faceplate where it is convenient. The only downside of that is that to do that I have to run a remote speaker as well, which is a catch 22. I hate the way it looks, but it makes it much easier to hear in these old rattlers we're all driving. I've also considered cutting out the back of the storage hole below the steering wheel and mounting one or the other of the radios in there. I'm not sure yet what I'll do. I'm open to suggestions, though!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I thought that range seemed a bit wide. The licensing is why I have to remove the mic when I go south. I will have to figure out where to put it when I get the dash put back together. Maybe I'll just leave it in the ash tray hole. I dunno. It not deep enough so the radio sticks out abou 2".

Quick Reply: My first rebuild