1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My first rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Twins huh, Nick? Mine turn 9 this fall. And yeah, those candles get bright quick...

Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoradoFordBoys
I have been trying to keep a watch on this overhaul because I am in the same boat Just dropped my block off at the machinest today. with .010 pistons from clay. I was curious what piston to cyl bore clearance is because I am seeing .0055 seems to be the recommended standard but my 94 7.3 DI ford service manual is calling for for .0036-.0048?? Just cusious what you did. Another question what did you go with for ring gap?? P.S. Sorry about the war wound!!
I'll try to get the specs friday. I got them from a friend. He did his apprenticeship at a local engine builder and took care of all the clearances. As for the piston to bore that was spec'd by the machinist to the 7.3 manual. He took the pistons to make sure the clearances were right. I had my ring gaps all written down for future reference but spilled a can of oil on it so it's now useless. Doesn't matter though as they were all within a thou difference and within the tighter half of the range.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Twins huh, Nick? Mine turn 9 this fall. And yeah, those candles get bright quick...
I was thinking about this this morning. Having twins is as much of a curse as a blessing. All the milestones happen within a few days of each other. I'll only get to see one seventh birthday. There won't be another in 2 years. . Oh well. I'll still enjoy what I have

Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info don't worry about the piston to cyl clearance I have the manual so I have the same info he used I'm sure. Were your ring gaps good or did you have to file them?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Thanks for the info don't worry about the piston to cyl clearance I have the manual so I have the same info he used I'm sure. Were your ring gaps good or did you have to file them?
they were good

Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Thats good news!! Hopefully mine are too. My block is supposed to be finished by the end of the week so I will know soon enough. Another question was your timing cover scored?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Thats good news!! Hopefully mine are too. My block is supposed to be finished by the end of the week so I will know soon enough. Another question was your timing cover scored?
Do you mean inside by the timing gears. I'd have to take another look. I don't think so. If you have scoring there either something gone for a ride in there of your timing gears may have been walking. Were the thrust plate bolts on the cam tight.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
No, sorry I should have explained different. Where the LPOP bolts to the timing cover. mine must have gotten trash in the oil. I am thinking of having .010" machined off to clean it up seems like that wouldn't hurt anything? She is in pretty rough shape for 124k miles.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
No, sorry I should have explained different. Where the LPOP bolts to the timing cover. mine must have gotten trash in the oil. I am thinking of having .010" machined off to clean it up seems like that wouldn't hurt anything? She is in pretty rough shape for 124k miles.
Yeah mine does have some light scoring there. I don't know if it would hurt anything though. I guess it could hinder oil pressure a bit. I hadn't really put much thought to it. I should check the sd front cover and see if it's the same way. Maybe someone else has insight

Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Seems pretty common and I was thinking this would be a good time to address it. Hopefully someone has some idea? Looking at the cover I can't see why taking a little meat off that raised area where the oil pump mounts would effect anything?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
It all depends on where it sits on the crank

Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
True but it will just move the oil pump back the amount removed from the timing cover I think I will just look to see where the seal was riding on my harmonic balancer and if I have room on the sealing surface I'm going to go for it. I am pretty sure the engine would have to come back out to fix it later and I don't want to do that?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
K fellas. I made a bit more progress it today. Slapped a little paint on it

Then I thought to myself. Gee did I torque the oil pickup bolts??????? $#/+. So off with the pan and while at it I removed the front cover as well to get the one intake bolt in that is behind the hpop res. oh well. Could be worse. I could have put it together without torquing it and pooched my motor. For the record it was torqued.

I also got a bit creative with the oil cooler. I don't have the luxury of a press so I made do. It worked well

Yes that's a ratchet strap. And yes I used it to pull the peices together.

Rolled the motor over an started to put some stuff on top

I put the intakes on, the T-500, and got the injectors in. It was a good day.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Looking pretty good man!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice!! Those kinds of little things (like the oil pickup bolts) will absolutely drive you nuts if you don't follow up on them. You did the only thing you could do by pulling it apart to check. Looking good!

Quick Reply: My first rebuild