1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Glow plug harness connector troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow plug harness connector troubles....

Hey im new to the forum, diesels, and vehicals all together so i got quiet the question for u guys. I got a 97 7.3l f350 and when i got it the glow plug harness connector on the front passenger side of the motor was fryed along with the gasket and the two glow plugs it was connected too. I changed the gasket put four new glow plugs in and wired the new pigtail connector together. The only problem i have now is the truck dont start if the connector for those two glow plugs is connected. The truck starts fine if its not plugged in but if it is the truck just cranks and cranks. Also if i start the truck and plug the connector in the truck dies right off the bat. I asume its ethier the gpr or the icm. Or possibly its wired wrong but i wired it exactlly how it came off the other connector. I want to find out the problem so i dont go dumping all my money into parts i dont need. The oil level is good too , havent checked the hpop yet cus i stripped the screw haha. Ask questions if u need too i can probly ansewr it. But please someone get back to me as soon as possible i need to drive it soon. Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you have some wires crossed, or other owner did. Where did you purchase the parts from, Ford original or after market. If from Ford can you tell us the wires colors starting from front to back. Each plug controls two glow plugs and two injectors, in your case cylinders 1 & 3. If not wired correctly the IDM can shut down to protect itself and hence not start.

The two outer pins are for the glow plug, brown wire. The next two in are for the injectors and the center pin is injectors ground.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Hey thanks the gasket and connectors are aftermarket theres two brown for the glow plugs one yellow which i asume go's to the yellow striped wire theres a tan colred one and an orange one. Browns go to brown tan gos to tan orange goes to orange and yellow goes to the original yellow striped brown wire correct. Do i have to restart the icm or is it gonna work if i wire it corectly? So if the wires are messed up it will cause a no start?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Need color of wires front to back. From there I can look at the diagram to see if it is wired wrong. Need wire color of pigtail to wire color on engine harness. Otherwise just guessing.

If wired correctly IDM should work correctly as there is no reset.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Its weired cus I can unplug that connector and the truck starts right up no problem mabey the new connector has wrong colored wires..? I'll have to mess with it tonight and see how it works with the aftermarket connector. But the two outside are brown for the gp's the next inner two are for the injectors and the next is for ?? What do all the colors on the original connecter do?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The central wire is the common feed for the two injectors for that connector. The next two outward are the returns from the individual injectors. If the new connector is a Dorman, they're, er, known for having the insulation colors wrong. The two outermost wires, for the glow plugs, are interchangeable, but the ones for the injectors are NOT. Use your old connector as a guide, determine which color of wire on the truck harness went to which position on the connector on the gasket, and re-wire those three wires on the new connector to the truck harness accordingly. Ideally, you should be working from an EVTM.

Did you change or re-arrange any of the wiring under the valve covers, from the gaskets to the GPs and/or injectors?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

On cylinder 1 & 3 which is passenger front connector the diagram shows the following color codes ...

Front to Back ... Brown - Tan - Orange - Brown/Yellow - Brown

Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Yea its a dorman do u know how the dorman goes to the old wiring i asume its color to color correct?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
And no i dident change the wiring under the valve cover i replaced the whole gasket and the internal connectors from the gasket . but does any one know how to wire the dorman connector to the trucks stock wires?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by JakeMac
Yea its a dorman do u know how the dorman goes to the old wiring i asume its color to color correct?
NO .. it is not because the other factory pig tails are a different color code except for the brown wires. The Dorman has the same regardless where you connect them. That my friend is your issue.

Originally Posted by Hussler
On cylinder 1 & 3 which is passenger front connector the diagram shows the following color codes ...

Front to Back ... Brown - Tan - Orange - Brown/Yellow - Brown
You need to get back far enough to the factory wiring harness to see the color on each wire to fix the problem. As shown above regardless what the color is on Dorman harness start ...

Front to Back ...

1st Dorman wire goes to the OEM brown wire, either.
2nd Dorman wire goes to the OEM Tan wire.
3rd Dorman wire goes to the OEM Orange wire.
4th Dorman wire goes to the OEM Brown w Yellow Strip wire.
5th Dorman wire goes to the OEM Brown, either.

If you have and can use a volt ohm meter that can help also. You might be over your head on this and maybe a buddy help you out? It's not rocket science, you just have to figure out which wire goes where on a 5 pin connector. And to repeat, the Dorman color code does not match the OEM wiring harness color code .. that is why it's necessary to do 1 wire at a time when changing these things out.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
No i know im sorry i gotta go do it haha ill do that and get back to u if its still messed up cus i swear the first time i wired it i did it right but idk thanks anyway.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Thanks everybody i figured it out hah ha now i gotta change the other valve cover gasket cus at start up it still idles bad and clinders 5-7 make the dry fire noise. And if you rev the motor it runs fine. O well it needs new glow plugs on that side anyway.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad you already have the job half done. I always recommend switching to the Super Duty style connectors.

Tried to rep you Jim, but the powers that be won't let me.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
JakeMac
Freshman User
Thanks man im gonna try to restore the truck as much as i can so ill problly do tht in the future. It has over 300,000 miles on it but it still runs well. Lots of goods to buy!

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Too bad you already have the job half done. I always recommend switching to the Super Duty style connectors.

Tried to rep you Jim, but the powers that be won't let me.
I got him for you.