73 F100 351w EFI swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Jeebus!

For two grand you're half way to a crate motor! Guess it depends on what you want from your truck haha.

Post a link to the plug-n-play?
There are a few out there. Here's three. They all use a Holley 4150 baseplate and throttle arm, so it's a super simple swap to make. The only fabbing is the addition of an O2 sensor. After that it's just mounting the computer somewhere with a couple screws and then plugging in all the wires, which are labeled so it's not at all hard to do. Hook everything up, tell the computer things like your engine size, cam specs, preferred AFRs, then start driving. They're all self-learning so all you have to do is drive and it'll tune itself.

Holley EFI

FAST EZ-EFI

MSD Atomic

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM
thecause17
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck looks good. This is very similar to what I plan to do eventually and I will definitely use this thread as a guide.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thecause17
Truck looks good. This is very similar to what I plan to do eventually and I will definitely use this thread as a guide.
Thanks that's why I started this thead.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 AM
EP145
More Turbo
Today was a great day, I measured my drive shaft and it was the right length so I dropped it off at master shaft and had new u joints and the right yoke installed and had it balanced. I then went to you pull it and picked up a volvo 2 speed fan relay I read it is best one for the mark VII fans. While I was there I found a 90 F150 seat that wasn't trashed so I bought it and took it the the upholstery shop to be recovered. I've been looking for awhile and everyone I've seen has been broken really bad. I then picked up the drive line installed it and the fan switch made a permanent shift llinkage piece and took it around the block. Yea!
Man Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic Transmission it just doesn't get any better than that! I still need to put the front end back on but it does drive nice at lease around the block it does.

Running

First trip around the block.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Jughead1984
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man envy doesn't even start to describe what I feel for that truck. Its love lol. Are you going to keep the stock wheels or upgrade to something different? Ive always liked the looks of the chrome stock 96ish model fan blades on these trucks.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Fomo4me
New User
Originally Posted by EP145
Thanks that's why I started this thead.

First time post, long time lurker, and current 1973 F100 owner (pictures to come.) So I just wanted to tell you thanks for this thread I think it sufficient to say that many of us are envious of your project and yes the term "man crush" on a truck has been tossed around..

But what I'm really impressed with is the joy and excitement YOU have shown thru the project. Clearly you have enjoyed yourself. Sooo... it is with that thought in mind that I had this great idea!! To help you get that "I built a killer truck" high I'm willing to ship my truck to you and let you do the same rebuild on it.. Seriously, there's no catch. I'm even willing to pay for the shipping. I was also thinking that, if you wanted, I could take your truck and put a few hundred break-in miles on it for you. And again, I'll pay the shipping..

Just trying to get off on a good foot and be as helpful as possible here.

Great thread super cool project!

Thanks,
dave

Old 10-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomo4me
First time post, long time lurker, and current 1973 F100 owner (pictures to come.) So I just wanted to tell you thanks for this thread I think it sufficient to say that many of us are envious of your project and yes the term "man crush" on a truck has been tossed around..

But what I'm really impressed with is the joy and excitement YOU have shown thru the project. Clearly you have enjoyed yourself. Sooo... it is with that thought in mind that I had this great idea!! To help you get that "I built a killer truck" high I'm willing to ship my truck to you and let you do the same rebuild on it.. Seriously, there's no catch. I'm even willing to pay for the shipping. I was also thinking that, if you wanted, I could take your truck and put a few hundred break-in miles on it for you. And again, I'll pay the shipping..

Thanks,
dave
Lol ^^^^ post #1.

How obvious is it that this guy works in retail?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Jughead1984
Man envy doesn't even start to describe what I feel for that truck. Its love lol. Are you going to keep the stock wheels or upgrade to something different? Ive always liked the looks of the chrome stock 96ish model fan blades on these trucks.
Awww thanks man, it's been fun and challenging at the same time. No I'm going with the stock hub caps I guess I'm getting old because that would have been the first thing I would have taken off when I was younger!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Great thread and I really like the way this truck is going look to look in the end she'll be a great ride. On mu 79 im planning on going the same route as your truck...

Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM
EP145
More Turbo

Thanks,
dave
Well Dave let me think about it for a minute... Ya I'm going to have to pass on your offer it sounds nice but I will be busy driving my truck. Thanks for lurking my post I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 PM
EP145
More Turbo
OK I have about an hour on the engine and the oil pressure starts off at 45 -50 psi which I figured good then it drops to barely reading on the gage. I pull the electric sender and put on a mechanical gage and no change Grrr. I took an oil sample to my friends oil analyst company and found it a little high in tin and copper but not to bad so next weekend I'm going to pull the pump and check some bearings.

On the bright side everything works the hydro boost stops great, the power steering is awesome and the aod shifts nice. So I should be able to lift it up change the pump and put it back together in one day. Wish my luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Fomo4me
New User
Well Dave let me think about it for a minute... Ya I'm going to have to pass on your offer it sounds nice but I will be busy driving my truck. Thanks for lurking my post I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Hmm.. yes I do seem to remember you mentioning somewhere about it being a "driver" not sure you ever specified as to "who's driver" but it's all water under the bridge now

I did see where you were staying with the stock wheels. I guess I'm getting old too because I have the original chrome "moons" as I call them and my first plan was to get rid of them but the dang things are growing on me, so much so that, I'm thinking of painting my wheels white or green and shining up the moon covers. Ha, besides lets face it a bone stock 1973 F100 is a dang good lookin truck and this thread just makes the point. Thx!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Fomo4me
New User
OK I have about an hour on the engine and the oil pressure starts off at 45 -50 psi which I figured good then it drops to barely reading on the gage. I pull the electric sender and put on a mechanical gage and no change Grrr. I took an oil sample to my friends oil analyst company and found it a little high in tin and copper but not to bad so next weekend I'm going to pull the pump and check some bearings.

On the bright side everything works the hydro boost stops great, the power steering is awesome and the aod shifts nice. So I should be able to lift it up change the pump and put it back together in one day. Wish my luck!

Yeah, move slow, it's gonna be some little part. To much vested to push. How long before the drop?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Yeah, move slow, it's gonna be some little part. To much vested to push. How long before the drop?
It will be next weekend I'm busy this weekend and next week. I think with my friend and I we should be able to do it in a day. There is no mock up the second time around.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Jughead1984
Junior User

Man that sucks!!! My 351w did the same thing in my 73 actually held great pressure until I was on the way back from the exhaust shop stopped at a redlight looked down and she was at nothing notta bit put foot on gas pedal and when up to 3/4. Did you have the crank turned and polished and are u running 1/2 or full grooved mains? Im hoping its a simple fix. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: 73 F100 351w EFI swap