1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 F350 6.8l V10 Engine Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Jnowaczyk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loosen belt try to start if it starts try to turn your ac pully if froze replace there under 200 new ac oil and a can of freon put the belt back on done and ya its a pita

Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Jnowaczyk
Senior User
when i say loosen it be very careful loosen it up t the tension pully while some one cranks but only enough to let it slip if it starts shut off asap as you dont want to damage anything or have it fly off my self i would remove it for safety

Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM
bullsmack
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jnowaczyk
when i say loosen it be very careful loosen it up t the tension pully while some one cranks but only enough to let it slip if it starts shut off asap as you dont want to damage anything or have it fly off my self i would remove it for safety

I loosened the belt and had someone crank the engine. NO DICE. Ahhrg! lol

It is not the A/C Compressor.

I suppose the new Starter I just bought a year and a half ago could be bad or my ignition.

I have no clue how to test them and cannot find a You Tube video on it.

Well I found a You tube video and was able to start my truck by turning the ignition on and running a wire from my starter solenoid under the hood to the positive battery terminal.

But still no ignition start up. Neutral Safety Switch?

I just found that I cannot shift my shifter into 1 gear. It gets close but stops before it gets there. I can get 2nd and Neutral and reverse and park. But I cannot get it down into first gear. But if you leave it in gear you cant get the key out of the ignition so I know its in park when it shows in park because the key comes out. I know its in Neutral because I can click over two and it is in neutral and shows to be in neutral.
The shifter once past that point makes these clicking noises. I changed out the shifter about two years ago because it got stiff and broke. But it has worked with no problems since it was changed and it no longer feels stiff. It did about a few weeks ago but its not broke.
Would this have anything to do with the truck not cranking?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Jnowaczyk
Senior User
yes did you try to start it in neutral

Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 PM
bullsmack
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jnowaczyk
yes did you try to start it in neutral

I got it to start once in Neutral but after that I couldn't do it again no matter how many times I moved the shifter to the left and right.

I went under my truck with a flashlight and it appears the Neutral Safety switch has a crack in it. But not only that. I believe the adjustment lines don't line up either.

I wish I had a picture of exactly what the NSS is supposed to look like because the metal that goes through the hole on the NSS looks to be rusted badly and so deteriorated I can't tell if it had a bolt on it or how the NSS hole comes off of it.

as you can see by the pictures the crack is pretty bad and the neutral line doesn't line up. But even when it does line up I was only able to now so far get it to start two times out of 20 in Neutral.

But what about the rusted turning mechanism? Is that thing supposed to look like that or is it rusted into pieces of what it used to be?

Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM
1977cutcher
Senior User
I replaced that switch once on my truck. I think it was about $35 at my local auto parts store, and was not to bad to replace.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
bullsmack
Junior User
Well this so far as been a nightmare. I had a very stiff shifter. It has been hard to shift for years. I have taken it to mechanics and I have broken and replaced it because of how stiff it was.

Turns out it was the Neutral safety switch that was making it stiff like that.
When I finally got that nasty NSS above off the shifter then moved incredibly easy.
Like its floppy now. But it goes into gear easily.

Now I have the issue of trying to get a new NSS on with the rusted spline.

Ford putting only two grooves on the spline and two notches on the NSS was really stupid. I hear on later models they actually put the switch inside the oil pan which will make for some real pains for people with newer vehicles if they have an issue with their NSS.

For the sake of finishing out this thread, once I get the new NSS on I will post back to let the forum know if it fixed the no start issue.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had one go bad. You can wire around it pretty easily. It breaks a circuit generally so wiring both wires together should eliminate it and allow you to start the truck

Old 05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
bullsmack
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
I had one go bad. You can wire around it pretty easily. It breaks a circuit generally so wiring both wires together should eliminate it and allow you to start the truck

I was told it is a frequency. Is there any truth to that?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With ford its anyones guess. On the truck I had it worked

Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 PM
bullsmack
Junior User
For the sake of closing this out with a FIX noted......

The new Neutral Safety Switch has been installed and it works perfectly. truck starts right up.

What noticed for a few years was my shifter has been extremely difficult to put in gear and I have had to adjust it many times.

Come to find out the NSS was the cause. It got stiff somehow.

Just changing that has made my shifter feel like it flops into gear LIKE IT SHOULD. It goes into all gears easily like it is brand new.

Never knew these switches could cause so many issues.

SO the fix was the Neutral Safety switch.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine was bad and really rusted. I had to bust it to get it off.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM
bullsmack
Junior User
So basically the rust on the shaft got so bad it kept putting more and more pressure on the Neutral safety switch until it just cracked.

Here is a picture of the new one installed. Note the Naval Jelly still on the bolts and the shaft. I also used a spray which turns raw slightly rusted metal to black oxide to stop it from rusting further. I will be doing the entire bottom of my trucks frame and drive shafts to stop it from rusting further. It looks far better sprayed with the rust treatment spray.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
john sweeney
New User
Hi hope you don't mind if I jump in I have a 1999 f350 6.8 L I have all most the same thing going on I do use my truck one day it just did want to start I checked the battery is fine took it to be tested I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid did help I jumped the poles on the bat and the starter at it started I took it out again had it checked out its fine a parts guy at ford told me that the most likely thing it could be is the actuator I took my steering wheel of and all that go's with it and the actuator is in fine shape even after 15 years look as good as the new one I can't see any wear or brake in it most I have read about the pin brakes off not in this case I'm not sure what to do next
john

Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
bullsmack
Junior User
Originally Posted by john sweeney
Hi hope you don't mind if I jump in I have a 1999 f350 6.8 L I have all most the same thing going on I do use my truck one day it just did want to start I checked the battery is fine took it to be tested I replaced the starter and the starter solenoid did help I jumped the poles on the bat and the starter at it started I took it out again had it checked out its fine a parts guy at ford told me that the most likely thing it could be is the actuator I took my steering wheel of and all that go's with it and the actuator is in fine shape even after 15 years look as good as the new one I can't see any wear or brake in it most I have read about the pin brakes off not in this case I'm not sure what to do next
john
My problem is solved.

IF you were able to start your truck by jumping from the solenoid to the battery and it started then it isn't your starter. Cant be.
There are only three other things it can be if you get lights on the dash, Your Headlights do NOT go dim when you try to start the truck, and you get absolutely not a single bit of cranking....

A relay under the dash, the Neutral Safety Switch OR an adjustment on your column shifter if you have an Automatic.