1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New kid on the block has Questions

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
jonesa49f1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New kid on the block has Questions

Hello FTE members this is bobj49f2's Son,

I have brought one of the trucks that my dad and Chris had gone out to Iowa to go and get which was a 1949 F-1. That my dad had originally brought to fix up and sell but I saw it and the addiction got stated in this young ford guy.

I have done a couple of things to the truck so far I have,

have taken off the front clip

took off the heads and inspected cylinder walls for cracks and marring

Installed new gaskets in the engine from to top bottom

Installed new oil lines

Rebuilt the carburetor

I have also stated working on cutting off the extra metal that was on the box from the previous owner. (I will post pictures soon)

Okay so now for some questions that I have,

I want to make this truck into a 12V because I have worked on my dads trucks with the 6v system and they work but they are finicky and do not have a lot of craning power. What do I all need to do to update my system. so far I have installed a 12v coil and that is it just to get it running. I would like to know what the guys that have a 12v system have for and alternator and what other parts they have changed.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome to FTE Andy! You'll need to work around the Big Dog on the forum.

I'll let those who have migrated to 12V chime in with the changes needed for the gauges, fuel sender, signal lamps and such. Let me know if you still need a look at the stock F1 box/tail gate setup. Enjoy the build look forward to seeing you on the road this year.

DW

Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 756 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to the addiction!
Going 12V is a slippery slope to the dark side, be careful.
I look forward to seeing your progress. Hurry up with the pictures.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

We've seen a couple of pics posted by Bob already. I'm still running 6 volts so I can't help there. But as mentioned already, there are several electric components that will not handle 12 volts and will need to be changed or protected. The gauges can be protected. The starter will work but don't crank it for too long at one time. The bulbs and headlights all need to be changed to 12 volt. Your generator can be rebuilt to handle 12 volts but changing to an alternator is probably cheaper.

Luckily, the wiring in a 6 volt truck is heavier gauge than 12 volt, so you don't need to change the wiring unless it's rotted away the cloth covering. But some prefer to rewire with a new harness, available from lots of suppliers. That would give you fuses on a fuse panel instead of the two circuit breakers (15 amp and 30 amp). And it would allow for easily installing turn signals, head light relay, etc...

Aside from 12 volts, what are your plans for the truck?

Please start a build thread as many of us would like to follow your progress. I smiled when I saw your intro! Welcome to the addiction...

Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM
jonesa49f1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Welcome to FTE!

We've seen a couple of pics posted by Bob already. I'm still running 6 volts so I can't help there. But as mentioned already, there are several electric components that will not handle 12 volts and will need to be changed or protected. The gauges can be protected. The starter will work but don't crank it for too long at one time. The bulbs and headlights all need to be changed to 12 volt. Your generator can be rebuilt to handle 12 volts but changing to an alternator is probably cheaper.

Luckily, the wiring in a 6 volt truck is heavier gauge than 12 volt, so you don't need to change the wiring unless it's rotted away the cloth covering. But some prefer to rewire with a new harness, available from lots of suppliers. That would give you fuses on a fuse panel instead of the two circuit breakers (15 amp and 30 amp). And it would allow for easily installing turn signals, head light relay, etc...

Aside from 12 volts, what are your plans for the truck?

Please start a build thread as many of us would like to follow your progress. I smiled when I saw your intro! Welcome to the addiction...
I am going to keep it mostly stock but I want it to be a 12V system, I want to eventually change out the stock rear end and put in a ford 9" rear end with 350 gears so that I can get a little more pep out of the old flatty that is in the tuck.

I am also going to put a new stereo system in the tuck but hide it so that it is out of site and out of mind.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I think Andy needed something to post on the board. We've gone over what it'll take but like any kid, I guess, he needs to hear it from strangers. I'm just an old cote who's only been messing with these truck for 30+ years.

BTW, Andy has done a lot of work on this truck and I would thing it'll be ready for Dairlyland Truckfest.

Also Andy, you need a cool avatar

Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jonesa49f1
I am also going to put a new stereo system in the tuck but hide it so that it is out of site and out of mind.
#1 old truck rule, you can't play that noise they call "Country Music" in an old truck. You're allow to play good classic Country Western though.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that you should go far to the dark side just to see what your dad will post. Good luck with it and cool that you have an old man who knows these trucks inside and out.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
You're both lucky to have each other.

I suspect most of us can cite Dad as a major factor in our infection of gearhead insanity. I was able to pass on my Musicianship (He's Studio Level) but not the love of vintage iron. I tell my Wife it's her DNA. My Dad was building post-war Ford Rods in L.A. in the late '40s....

Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by eman92082
You're both lucky to have each other.

I suspect most of us can cite Dad as a major factor in our infection of gearhead insanity. I was able to pass on my Musicianship (He's Studio Level) but not the love of vintage iron. I tell my Wife it's her DNA. My Dad was building post-war Ford Rods in L.A. in the late '40s....
My dad was a mechanic and bought my '49 F-2 in the late '60s to use in his auto repair business. Now that was the guy Andy should have met, he knew cars inside and out and could diagnose a problem just by listening to a car run. Too bad he passed before Andy was born. Maybe I can impart half of what my dad knew, I can only hope.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Andy,
Welcome to the forum. I converted several early Flatheads to 12 V. My 49 F-1 came to me 12v (and a 56 Nailhead Buick). I did install individual dropping resisters on each of 3 dash gauges (radio shack items). The flat heads that I converted to 12v were a 34 Tudor and a 38 Woodie. In both cases I ran the 6v starter on 12v-just don't crank for any length of time. In the tail lights I used Ron Francois Brite Bulbs Also I installed 12v field coils in the original generators and used the original cut out on the 34 and a 12v voltage regulator on the 38. I also used a dropping resister on a later electric windshield wiper motor on the 49. I installed a 12v motor in the era heater (actualyy was a 3 door 46-48 Ford car heater.
Listen to your dad, he KNOWS your truck!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I have nothing against converting to 12 volt, I plan to do it to my '37 Buick if I ever get it done. On my F-2 it's all stock. I've told Andy it's no big deal to switch over. The truck has to be completely rewired and we'll do it from scratch using the 6 volt wiring gauge wire. We're thinking a GM one wire alternator but the other day someone didn't like the one wire and suggested using something else. I switch a '69 Pontiac over to a one wire GM years ago without a problem bypassing the stock regulator.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow so we are keeping up with the Jones's. Sorry couldn't resist. Yes any GM Built in alt. should do. I too never changed starters. I just changed bulbs, coil, alt. and battery.It was nice going to a negative ground system too. My advise to you is build your truck to suite you but respect the experience and knowledge of those who have done it. There is an old saying that goes--when i was 16 i thought my father was stupid when i turned 18 i was shocked to see how much he leaned in just 2 years. Good luck with your build.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 PM
jonesa49f1
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. I want to go to and alternator and does anybody know of one that bolts right on. If not does anybody have any pictures of their engines and info on the swap.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck Andy . I like to pick on your dad, but he really is a good guy, I am thinking he will be a lot of help . Just don't follow his driving directions , he has a problem getting lost .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New kid on the block has Questions