1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to clean and paint underside of cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM
joe7327
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to clean and paint underside of cab

I have removed the bed from my 2002 F-250 Super cab. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the best way to clean and treat inside the cab reinforcements? Truck is 12 years old and has allot of rust. Cab shell itself is almost rust free, but the reinforcement channels welded to it are a mess. Was thinking if trying to pressure wash them out then blowing them out with air compressor. Then taking a sprayer ( like for weed killer) and running a product called EVAPO RUST through them.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
EVAPO RUST is a rust remover. A rust encapsulation paint (like POR-15) or rust converter ( like Eastwood Rust Converter) would probably be a better product to use.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribing to see replies

Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
There is also another product made by Eastwood called Internal Frame coat made for boxed frames and such that can't be sprayed by hand, it has on of those nozzles that your talking about that comes with it. I used it on the channels where the running boards mount and i still don't see rust poking through or anything after 2 years.

EDIT: Link:http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...nozzle-qt.html

Mine is the same way, the bottom of the cab is fine except where the running boards were mounted but the supports are very rusty and are a mess.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Aero750
Junior User
im also very interseted in this

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
joe7327
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply redford. Just going to use the EVAPO RUST to clean some of the rust from inside the channels. Looked at the Eastwood product and their intrernal frame coating looks like the best product for the job. Used the evapo rust on the rear frame and it does a pretty good job of getting rid of some of the rust. After using a wire brush on my drill and cleaning as much of the rust of as possible just brushed it on and let it sit for about an hour then rinsed it off. Brushed some more on to keep it from rusting until I get the rest cleaned off to keep it from rusting until it is ready to paint. plan to use chassis saver for that.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM
joe7327
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
There is also another product made by Eastwood called Internal Frame coat made for boxed frames and such that can't be sprayed by hand, it has on of those nozzles that your talking about that comes with it. I used it on the channels where the running boards mount and i still don't see rust poking through or anything after 2 years.

EDIT: Link:Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

Mine is the same way, the bottom of the cab is fine except where the running boards were mounted but the supports are very rusty and are a mess.
Thanks for the info on the Eastwood product. Checked it out on line and it looks like what I"m looking for. Going to do the rear frame and get my new bed back on for now and do the underside of the cab in sections over the summer. Would like to get a few more years out of this truck because it just costs too much to replace it.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joe7327
Thanks for the reply redford. Just going to use the EVAPO RUST to clean some of the rust from inside the channels. Looked at the Eastwood product and their intrernal frame coating looks like the best product for the job. Used the evapo rust on the rear frame and it does a pretty good job of getting rid of some of the rust. After using a wire brush on my drill and cleaning as much of the rust of as possible just brushed it on and let it sit for about an hour then rinsed it off. Brushed some more on to keep it from rusting until I get the rest cleaned off to keep it from rusting until it is ready to paint. plan to use chassis saver for that.
This looks like the best route, I am going to try this method also. Thanks for the tips.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Take pictures and do a write-up on solving the rust issues, Joe.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 AM
jpilk99
Senior User
I've used the POR15 stuff for years and love it. 3 step process to 1). clean away any grease/grime 2). prep the metal with a solution that will make the rust preventative paint just latch the hell on and 3). the paint.

It literally seems to chew right into any rough/rusty surface and forms a bulletproof shell. Cool too is that you don't have to wire brush the surface down to a smooth/pristine state; it actually prefers a rough surface. From there, the paint locks out moisture and halts the spread of the rust.

Can't speak to other products, but, I've used POR15 for years and am a big fan. About to do the whole underside of the '99 Super Duty I just bought.

Ooooo, just try not to get it on you --- you'll look like a leopard for a few days :-).

Jay

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
rust converter mixed with 15% actone. it penetrates and converts the rust to a paint ready protective coating. any type of presure sprayer will handle the application.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM
joe7327
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jpilk99
I've used the POR15 stuff for years and love it. 3 step process to 1). clean away any grease/grime 2). prep the metal with a solution that will make the rust preventative paint just latch the hell on and 3). the paint.

It literally seems to chew right into any rough/rusty surface and forms a bulletproof shell. Cool too is that you don't have to wire brush the surface down to a smooth/pristine state; it actually prefers a rough surface. From there, the paint locks out moisture and halts the spread of the rust.

Can't speak to other products, but, I've used POR15 for years and am a big fan. About to do the whole underside of the '99 Super Duty I just bought.

Ooooo, just try not to get it on you --- you'll look like a leopard for a few days :-).

Jay
POR 15 is a little expensive for me. Talked to several people who used Chassis Saver and they liked it, so that's what I will be using. Had my 99 Freightliner frame done a year and a half ago and thats what was used, looks great and it's got over 150,000 on it since then. Just gonna do the frame area under the bed for now, will be painting the frame tomorrow. By the way when I got the bed off and checked the fuel tank I found a problem. On my 2002 with the mid mount tank there is a vent ( believe it is called a rollover protection vent), it hooks into the top of the tank on top at each end connected in the middle by a metal pipe. Mine was rusted so bad that it broke when I removed it. If yours has this you might want to check it. Joe

Last edited by joe7327; 05-02-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM
joe7327
Freshman User
Originally Posted by redford
Take pictures and do a write-up on solving the rust issues, Joe.
I have taken some picks, Only doing the frame area under the bed for now, but will be glad to share when the job is done. The cab and frame under the cab is going to take some planning. want to do it right the first time. As for posting the pictures I don't think I can post those. Joe

Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay I was just thinking of this the other day. Wanting to do my frame rails and axle's. I was going to do research on this and was thinking of using truck bed coating. This is why I love this site, always finding useful information. Will wait for the results. I have used por-15 in the past but it is such a long process. I am liking the Eastwood products.

Now what is everyone doing as for prep work before applying the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator? I'm thinking some aerosol cans, and a quart can to brush on. All I need is more projects, but I like taking care of what I got.

Thanks everyone for posting.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3M zinc spray coating....
Zinc protects even where you can't access, just being near zinc, metal will degrade way way slower.
That, then oil.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean and paint underside of cab