2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The last Ford truck to get a manual trans was the F650/750. They had a 2% take rate. It would actually cost more to continue to add manuals than the auto trans cost due to economies of scale.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
The last Ford truck to get a manual trans was the F650/750. They had a 2% take rate. It would actually cost more to continue to add manuals than the auto trans cost due to economies of scale.
I'm not surprised. My better half is a stick-shift die-hard, and laments the loss of the stick shift transmission. However, for 95% of our driving, the auto-magic is just fine, and I've learned how to manage it for the other 5%. When the 10-speed comes out, there will be no sane reason to want to manually paddle that.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Do you mean that:
2% of the manuals built were sold...
2% of the orders for company pickups were manual
2% of the pickups built were manual?

I don't believe the 650/750 is a good indicator of consumer desire.

In the last years of the manual transmission in Super Duty's the "take rate" was 100%. Every single pickup built with a manual transmission was sold, and they were pretty darn difficult to find.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
TexasRebel, by that measure, the "take rate" for every option ever put into a ford truck has been 100%. I doubt you can find a single truck ever that didn't eventually sell.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Take rate means the combined number of dealer and customer orders out of the entire lineup. No the F650/750 isn't the best indicator, but 2014 still hand manuals, so it was the latest data available. The general concept was right too. I get far more phone calls asking about a Ranger (not the new one, they don't know we don't make the old one) than I do requesting manual transmission trucks.

I too love manuals. I hunted hard to get my Fiesta S in a manual transmission, not because it's better, but just because I enjoy driving them more. I bought my Fiesta new so I hope that helps save the option (along with the fact that manual is about the only way they come overseas). With the trucks, it really is an economy of scale factor. I can't afford to keep a manual transmission on the lot if I know there is a darn good chance I'll sit on it longer than an automatic. And not enough people have the patience to order something to get what they want. I don't order many SD trucks without the power equipment group that cost $1000 because while it might be nice to advertise a cheap unit like that, everyone wants power windows. The manual was lost by Americas lack of patience and fear to learn something new.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
... The manual was lost by Americas lack of patience and fear to learn something new.
Pretty old thread, but it was also lost evn more by Americans' habits of multitasking. My '91 BMW 318is has no cupholders with a stick. It does have a lighter and ashtray so smoking was always OK with Europeans

Now people including me drink coffee or a bottle of water in the car, eat a sandwich, play with the stereo and juggle CD's (not just 5 station buttons and vol **** like we used to have), look at nav units, talk on the phone or text (I won't ever text while driving but will take a call...)

My daily driver is a Subaru Forester that I bought instead of an Escape in 2008 because I could get a stick and AWD. (I think only the Forester and Mazda CX5 small SUV's offer sticks these days, and Subaru has killed the stick in the Outback.)

But before the Forester which I bought when I retired, I admit to choosing an automatic in my daily driver from 2000 till 2007 for a 60 mile round trip to work which was often in stop and go traffic. I drank a lot of coffee, listened to a lot of music on CD's, and admit to losing enthusiasm for a stick in a 30 mile drive that takes over 2.5 hours on a snowy day.... (And I still have the BMW as my garage queen/toy.)

George

Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
You can if you don't count "going to auction" as "selling".

Old 09-03-2015, 04:53 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
It's the whole "afford to keep on my lot" thing that bothers me.

Do that many people purchase a vehicle the same day they start looking? How much overhead could come off of the $40,000 sticker of a $15,000 pickup if a customer could order directly from Ford? Wait the lead time, and roll on.

Give me a parts kit and I'll build the darn thing...

...leave me three powertrain mounts and a yoke or two and Ford could sell an emissions free vehicle. I'll modify it when I get it home, but that should no more concern Ford than it concerns Dana, Eaton, or Timken.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Yes they do. Most people do their research ahead of time. Even before I worked in the industry, that's what I did. I picked a car I wanted and I researched it. I determined that I did in fact want it and determined what I found to be a good price. I bought two new cars without ever seeing or even driving the same setup as it was and was very happy with both. I really have never felt the need to compare between vehicles to find "the best". I buy cars and trucks I like from companies I like. Both were manuals.

Anyone can come in and order exactly what they want, just very few do. I'll sell it to you like it's sitting on my lot. You won't get it anywhere near $15k though, not sure where that number comes from. They still won't make a manual though as that ship has sailed. As demands on technology go up (maybe not from you, but in general) they have to keep the expensive parts lower cost. Having the same transmission on all models saves a ton. I'm surprised there are 4 engine options. I think we'll see the v8 get dropped as soon as fleet requirements are changed to meet new technology.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:46 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
That means they don't buy as soon as they start looking. Research is looking. With increased use and availability of the internet shopping for a vehicle no longer starts at the dealer lot.

I cannot order a Cummins with a ZF6 in a pickup from any manufacturer... which means I cannot order "anything I want." However, give me a rolling chassis and I'll fit an engine, transmission, radiator and driveline.

Even closer. In 2008 I could not order an XL with the Advanced Security Group.

Now, I cannot order a Super Duty with steering wheel radio controls and a black grill/bumper... why the bumper has boo to do with the radio convieniences!?

There are essentially 2 engine options on Super Duty's now (F250/F350). Gasoline or Diesel. In 2008 I paid $17,000 for a pickup with a $25,000 sticker... now the stickers start at $40,000 for a semi comparable pickup. More if you add in the factory options I added myself.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
That means they don't buy as soon as they start looking. Research is looking. With increased use and availability of the internet shopping for a vehicle no longer starts at the dealer lot.

I cannot order a Cummins with a ZF6 in a pickup from any manufacturer... which means I cannot order "anything I want." However, give me a rolling chassis and I'll fit an engine, transmission, radiator and driveline.

Even closer. In 2008 I could not order an XL with the Advanced Security Group.

Now, I cannot order a Super Duty with steering wheel radio controls and a black grill/bumper... why the bumper has boo to do with the radio convieniences!?

There are essentially 2 engine options on Super Duty's now (F250/F350). Gasoline or Diesel. In 2008 I paid $17,000 for a pickup with a $25,000 sticker... now the stickers start at $40,000 for a semi comparable pickup. More if you add in the factory options I added myself.
You're very far off with your statements. The equipment between 2008 and now that's standard is hardly comparable. And they don't let you build your own because of exactly what you said in the last post, leave off emissions. That's not going to fly. You cannot just start paring any parts together that you want. That rarely works for emissions, and it rarely works for safety and driveability on the open highway. That's how you end up with ricers with rust buckets with 1,000HP. Building your own chassis essentially lets people cut corners on the "pay to play" tax, IE they don't do the entire chassis properly, they just put money in where they get the most fun.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Ford would pass emissions with flying colors if they did that. No combustion means no emissions, right, Tesla?

Emissions could still be left up to the final builder. If you can't pass, you can't register the vehicle for use on public roads. As it is currently, there is nothing stopping an individual from manufacturing their own vehicle. They do have to meet or exceed minimum safety features (seatbelts, windshield wipers, lights, etc.)

The XL equipment between 2008 and now is very comparable. FM/AM only, crank windows, gasoline engine, no cruise, vinyl seats and floors... The two key differences are an automatic transmission and composite headlamps.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
F250 XL Starts at $36k-$37k MSRP for 4x4 for a 2016. I have leftover 15s on my lot with a few extra features for the same and all the end of year rebates/discounts. Vehicles have been going up several hundred to $1k per year from what I've been seeing. That is slightly higher than inflation, but 2008 was also when the automakers were just trying to move anything they could to keep the doors open.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 XL Starts at $36k-$37k MSRP for 4x4 for a 2016. I have leftover 15s on my lot with a few extra features for the same and all the end of year rebates/discounts. Vehicles have been going up several hundred to $1k per year from what I've been seeing. That is slightly higher than inflation, but 2008 was also when the automakers were just trying to move anything they could to keep the doors open.
This is pretty much where the price difference comes from. People think trucks are expensive because they are not blaming those at the top that tell us our salaries, which haven't seen raises in years, let alone inflation adjustments, are perfectly fine and in line with the economy. Meanwhile the manufacturers continue to raise prices for inflation on the things they have to buy to make the vehicle.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think 2008 was the last year for the F-150 to come with a manual trans. I have a 2006 with the 5-speed manual and love it to death!. But I had to order it and I had to get the V6. No V8 with the manual. V6 meant 2wd and regular cab only, which is fine for me. I optioned it with the 8' bed, 3.55 gear and limited slip, and the towing package. The only time I really miss the power of the V8 is when I'm pulling a steep hill. Towing capacity is only rated at 3600 pounds, but I really don't tow much anyway. I use it mainly for hauling and as a daily driver. I haven't done the research yet, but I don't think there's too many out there like it. Now that it's almost 10 years old, I'm starting to run into a problem just finding parts that are specific to the manual transmission. Parts stores don't know about it and have no record of it existing.
As for the future, that depends on the market. If consumers speak loudly enough that they want an F-series with a manual, then Ford will find a way to make it happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?