2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
A lot of the newer automatics from the past couple years have been getting the same or even BETTER mileage over a 5 or 6 speed manual. Of course these are either 6-8 speed autos or just geared differently. In some cases though if manual was the optional transmission, the engine was de-tuned like in the case of the 6L PowerStroke with the ZF6. however in Dodge the only way to get the HO 24 valve Cummins was behind the NV5600.

Automatics have been getting better over the years and will continue to do so. Something might even replace autos in the future who knows.
I'm hoping to see dual clutches keep going. Automated manuals have been awesome, and the Volvo I-Shift 13 speed has been leading the way in the heavy truck world.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
That 13 speed is going to probably take over the semi world.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:03 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by heymrdj
I'm hoping to see dual clutches keep going. Automated manuals have been awesome, and the Volvo I-Shift 13 speed has been leading the way in the heavy truck world.
I think they will. Ford has had some issues early on with the dual clutch autos in the Focus and Fiesta but once they work those out I wouldn't mind having one. I have been looking at Fiesta's and they are hard to come by with a manual already. I guess that means that the autos are what's selling.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Well like others have said, they might have fudged the stats on how manuals are selling, just to push more and more autos.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:29 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cb_13
I think they will. Ford has had some issues early on with the dual clutch autos in the Focus and Fiesta but once they work those out I wouldn't mind having one. I have been looking at Fiesta's and they are hard to come by with a manual already. I guess that means that the autos are what's selling.
I was looking for a 4 cyl manual transmission Escape in 2008. I had my dealer do a search, and there was exactly ONE manual transmission Escape east of the Mississippi, probably 1000 miles away. And I wanted AWD with a stick which they didn't even offer in 2008.

I bought an '09 Subaru Forester with a stick; there were actually some to be had by dealers, and the AWD system (with the stick) is a simple limited slip diff between the front and rear axles. No electronic clutches, etc. I drove a new Outback with the same drivetrain but chose the configuration of the Forester--and it should be an Escape because I prefer owning domestic vehicles. But I wanted a stick.

Sadly, Subaru just announced the 2015 Outback and for the first time in an Outback, no manual trans is available in that car...Subaru is standardizing on CVT's and getting great gas mileage. I had a loaner Crosstrek with the CVT, and with the paddles, it was slightly more interesting to drive than most automatics (and gas mileage was over 30mpg with me not driving it gently).

I have owned all kinds of sports cars including 2 Vettes, a few muscle cars including a Hemi Roadrunner with a stick, an Austin Healey 3000, an FJ40 Land Crusher (which had a drivetrain like a 1960's truck and had an agricultural feel), and crap like an AMC Gremlin with 3 on the floor. Ordered a brand new 1978 F100 with a 300 inch six and the 4 speed manual O/D trans as my first brand new vehicle. Over 22 mpg on the freeway, which was unheard of in a truck in those days. (Helps that it was 3600 lbs...) Today's youth will never have that kind of experience.

George

Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM
ford40
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe will get all of are sticks

Ford and vw and all the rest build different cars and trucks in Europe that we can't get in the USA Mostly sticks.
Well said (Sticks were artificially forced out by statistical manipulation. Build more and you'll sell more. Especially since they are cheaper, and there is a "buy what is on the lot", and "I need it now" mentality )Try to order a stick and the dealer will lower the price of the auto on the lot to a point that you are forest to buy it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Don S.
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think they will. Ford has had some issues early on with the dual clutch autos in the Focus and Fiesta but once they work those out I wouldn't mind having one.
Those I do belive were not DCT transmissions, someone correct me If I am wrong here.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Don S.
Those I do belive were not DCT transmissions, someone correct me If I am wrong here.
It is a true dual clutch transmission:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

It uses one clutch for the odd numbered gears and one for the even numbered gears.

George

Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
The 6 speed powershift definitely IS a dual clutch transmission.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Don S.
More Turbo
The 6 speed powershift definitely IS a dual clutch transmission.

Yes the new powershift is definitly a True DCT, seeing it uses the Getrag DCT250, which is a Wet DCT, not sure what the first model year units were. Maybe the problems I heard of were units that just had very bad Programming manners.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
<p>
Yes the new powershift is definitly a True DCT, seeing it uses the Getrag DCT250, which is a Wet DCT, not sure what the first model year units were. Maybe the problems I heard of were units that just had very bad Programming manners.
</p>
<p>The focus/fiesta uses a dry clutch set up. There were faulty seals that caused the clutches to get contaminated with transmission fluid. They would slip, shudder and just drive horribly all around when that happened.</p>

Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford started the DCT in the 2012 Focus and Fiesta. It is a dry clutch made by LUK.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Don S.
More Turbo
<p></p>
<p>The focus/fiesta uses a dry clutch set up. There were faulty seals that caused the clutches to get contaminated with transmission fluid. They would slip, shudder and just drive horribly all around when that happened.</p>
Your right, I went back and looked, I do not know where I mistookingly read it was a wet clutch.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Just to downshift slightly, (HaHa, ain't I funny!), back to the demise of the manual transmission.

Looks like even repair parts are not safe. Thought while I had my 86 F150 apart, I'd throw in a new clutch disc, even though there was no issues, (motor swap). Clutch friction materials are not available separately. They want you to buy the whole clutch kit. Found an obsolete OEM disc on Ebay. Better than throwing in a cheap Chinese kit.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Just to downshift slightly, (HaHa, ain't I funny!), back to the demise of the manual transmission.

Looks like even repair parts are not safe. Thought while I had my 86 F150 apart, I'd throw in a new clutch disc, even though there was no issues, (motor swap). Clutch friction materials are not available separately. They want you to buy the whole clutch kit. Found an obsolete OEM disc on Ebay. Better than throwing in a cheap Chinese kit.
It amazes me that parts are equally as hard to find as the transmissions themselves, after doing a little digging, the US seems to be one of the only countries that Ford sells trucks that the manual isn't an option. Although a lot of the trucks they sell abroad are under powered as opposed to here, but.....I know the decision not to have manuals has to be a market based decision, but it seems part of it has to be reactions to government regs also?

Quick Reply: Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?