Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks? - Page 18 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Sign In
Register Forgot Password?

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Are manual transmissions things of the past for Ford Trucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
First car I ever drove was a manual. First car I ever bought was a manual. First diesel truck I had was a manual. I have always had at least one vehicle with a manual all my driving years.

I wouldn't get a manual in my truck for anything. Modern auto transmissions are AWESOME! I have a manual in my hotrod for a little variety, but even that trans is highly customized to work well and frankly just to live.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul View Post
think the best ones I've heard that are butter would be the NV5600 behind 24 valve Cummins.
No. If you're converting put a ZF6 behind a Cummins. The NV5600s are heavy, clunky, and mechanically unsound. First gear and reverse gear shield the rear main bearing from oil on those transmissions unless you modify the gears to pump oil through. The easy fix is to overfill by two quarts, but that drags down efficiency. They also have reverse on the wrong side. On a truck it should always be IN & UP. To allow for easy rocking between the lowest gear and a numerically similar reverse.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Elder User

Frdtrkrul is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
McSniperliger McSniperliger
ZF6s are few and far between unless cheap bay has them. Not sure how running the cooling system will be on it since don't they connect with the radiator or do they run their own cooler upfront? Cause I still may yet do a Cummins swap and I would like to have a manual with it, rather than dink around with controllers and would like to teach my ol lady how to drive a manual just cause.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 AM
New User

Idont want a newF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijeb View Post
I guess all the truck manufacturers have lost me as a customer from now on, since I won't buy a new truck with an automatic.

I second that. Back in the good old days, when rangers (were still available), 4x2 V6 F-150's and super duty's still had sticks, I would sometimes go to the Ford website, and build a truck exactly the way I wanted it, and think that one day (i was a teen then), that I would go to their website, order a truck exactly the way I wanted it, and go pick it up from the local Ford dealership.

These days, I am an adult and work at a Ford dealership, and could pick up a brand new truck at a price better then what 99% of the people here could get one for...but as it is today, there is nothing new on the lot that I would buy.

And if lack of a stick isnt a big enough turn-off, just look at the price of these new trucks. At my dealership, the 2015 F-150's are about $55K, but if you want to "upgrade" (AKA pay way more then all the extra ***** they add to it) to an FTX/Black Ops edition, then you are looking at around $80K, $25K more for a lift, fancy tires, and leather seats, oh and dont forget the fancy plastic and FAKE air scoops on the hood which only make tight turns harder as they block your view around the hood.

My ranger has 210K+ miles on it and needs work, my F-250 is 31 years old, has 250K+ miles, and needs a frame-off restoration, and my 83 F-150 just sits in the back of our dealership because I bought it on impulse and dont really have the time or money to work on it with the two other trucks I have, but that is fine with me, if one truck *****s out on me, I can use the other until the first is fixed. And that is unfortunately what we will have to do if we still want to drive a truck with a stick, buy an older one and learn how to fix everything on it. Which would you rather work on, a 6.9 IDI or a 6.7 PSD?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Postmaster

madpogue has a great reputation on FTE.madpogue has a great reputation on FTE.madpogue has a great reputation on FTE.madpogue has a great reputation on FTE.madpogue has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idont want a newF150 View Post
...FTX/Black Ops edition, then you are looking at around $80K...
Interesting choice for the model name, in that you'd have to have a "black budget" to afford one. Shoot, that's more than we paid for our house....
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idont want a newF150 View Post
Which would you rather work on, a 6.9 IDI or a 6.7 PSD?
A 6.7PSD any day of the week....
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijeb View Post
I guess all the truck manufacturers have lost me as a customer from now on, since I won't buy a new truck with an automatic.
Not 100% accurate. Ram trucks in the 2500/3500 still offer the Cummins 6.7L with the G56 6 speed manual transmission, you just won't get getting the 865lb/ft of torque instead its 660. You can varify it yourselves for ram trucks. Least its still an option in the 2015 MY maybe 2016.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
You can find ZF6s all over the place. Both GM and Ford used them in their pickups.
You can likely make up cooler lines for any radiator with a transmission cooler and get by. If you need something else, an external cooler would work, too.

...also, you can always find them somewhere... ZF Friedrichshafen - ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Non Compus Mentis

RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
Mitch Thornhill RigTrash601
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Interesting choice for the model name, in that you'd have to have a "black budget" to afford one. Shoot, that's more than we paid for our house....
Black Ops edition is a customized truck by Tuscany, the hood scoops look "cheesy" and they way overcharge for the lift, tires, etc....
2014 F250 6.7L PSD,Platinum 4x4, White, Pecan Leather, FX4 package. H&S, S&B, 4" Flo-Pro Full Delete. 4" - 4 Link BDS Lift Fox 2.0 Shocks / Dual Steering Stabilizer Fuel Rampage 20x10 w / 35x12.5x20 Toyo MT'sRIP Charles Glen Thornhill Sr. Feb. 07 1943 / Oct. 25 2014.... I Miss You Pop!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post
You can find ZF6s all over the place. Both GM and Ford used them in their pickups.
You can likely make up cooler lines for any radiator with a transmission cooler and get by. If you need something else, an external cooler would work, too.

...also, you can always find them somewhere... ZF Friedrichshafen - ZF Friedrichshafen AG
I've heard never get the GM version of the ZF6 because they did something odd to them that made them not work as well as the Ford versions. Just comparing here hows the old ZF5 to the newer ZF6? Shifting wise and how they are overall?
Old 06-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Postmaster

The Ford and GM versions are the same transmission, but spline differences and bell housings make them incompatible. If you are customizing... pick the easier one.

I've never driven a ZF5.

Muncie 4 spd. <- 197x C10
T98 <- Jeep
NV4500 <- 5 speed New Venture in a 2002 GM
ZF6 <- Multiple Fords. V8, V10, 7.3, 6.0
M62 <- Yep, 3 on the tree

...I thought this list was going to be shorter... There are other Jeeps, a Festiva... just too many.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Senior User

GlueGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now have about 150 miles on our new XLT (supercrew/6-1/2' box), and have driven it on a pretty wide mix of roads and conditions.

Part of one of our town/home routes brings us up a mountain road from ~~ 400' elevation to ~~ 2400' elevation over about 6 miles. It is windy, and the speed limit is 30-35 (some places 15).

Overall, the auto-magic did pretty well; especially around town and on the freeway. However, coming up the mountain road, the auto-magic lost its gusto. It wanted to keep up-shifting to 4, and then dropping to 3 or 2 when the steepness went up. In effect, it was "hunting" and it didn't do so well. I found that as I tried to compensate for the increasing steepness of the road, that it would have to suddenly downshift, and we ended up "surging" until I had to back off the throttle. No fun.

So I switched to manual mode, and it did much better with me just holding it in 3rd, except for the flatter straight aways. No more surges, and overall a much smoother experience.

YMMV.
2010 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Tacoma Access Cab
2015 F-150 Crew Cab XLT 3.5EB 4x4
Old 06-08-2015, 12:49 PM