Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcraft View Post
Hard to text and drive with a manual.
Not really...

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Freshman User

KPT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG4.0 View Post
The ranger tranny failure was the M5OD as posted previously.
M5OD is easy to rebuild though.

At 160K the one in my explorer wasn't dead, it was just hard to shift. With zero previous transmission experience I pulled it and rebuilt it myself.

The needle bearing in the counter shaft fifth gear had disintegrated and took the gear with it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
One place the stick is still in use is in BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Elder User

cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
Somebody wrote "how can you say they aren't selling when you won't make them? Ford makes more money off of manual transmissions due to maintenance" Yeah that's Ford's business strategy. They make a lot of money on maintenance. They have been spending a lot more in labor than other companies due to unions, but this has changed recently as wages are equalizing between American and foreign auto makers. But Ford has made up for it by having a lot more repairs than normal. Hopefully they will start to shift their business strategy. If you want something cheap that will last a long time- Japanese makers. Something a little higher quality that will last a long time- Dodge. Something that will last a long time if you are willing to regularly take it to the garage and fix all the little things that keep going wrong- Ford.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? High quality, long lasting, Dodge? You do realize that just because Mercedes owned Dodge at one time they are not the same company, right? On truck transmissions alone Dodge has notoriously shoddy quality. Manuals that lose OD and automatics that completely go out. I won't even comment on their interiors.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
New User

truckstuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gotta love a stick. I needed a basic car so picked up a 2014 Fiesta - with a 5 speed Stick! Fun little buggy. There were quite a few sticks on the lot at the time. My other car is a 1973 Porsche 914, also a 5 speed stick. Got bored driving automatics. Enjoy every trip now. As much as I enjoyed the F150s I had with 5 speeds on the floor, they've probably gone the way of hand-operated windshield wipers.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Postmaster

Dakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstuff View Post
Gotta love a stick. I needed a basic car so picked up a 2014 Fiesta - with a 5 speed Stick! Fun little buggy. There were quite a few sticks on the lot at the time. My other car is a 1973 Porsche 914, also a 5 speed stick. Got bored driving automatics. Enjoy every trip now. As much as I enjoyed the F150s I had with 5 speeds on the floor, they've probably gone the way of hand-operated windshield wipers.
"Hand Operated Windshield Wipers" - Is that when you get the wife to get out and wipe the windshield off?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Posting Guru

RigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant futureRigTrash601 has a brilliant future
Mitch Thornhill RigTrash601
a little before my time too, I remember wipers that operated on vacuum, I thought that was a long time ago..
RIP Charles Glen Thornhill Sr. Feb. 07 1943 / Oct. 25 2014.... I Miss You Pop!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Junior User

gcspray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Our neighbors had a Rambler that had vacuum operated wipers. The car also had traction control, sort of... If you stepped hard on the gas pedal, the vacuum would drop and the wipers would quit. That feature made the driver thing twice about flogging the car on slick roads. Of course the ability of an inline six cylinder with an automatic trans in a Rambler wagon to break traction on a wet road is also debatable!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
New User

truckstuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mom's 1951 3-on-the-tree Ford Custom Sedan (the one with 2 bullets in the grill!) had vacuum wipers too. Before the Model A most were not motorized. And they're still available for your 90 year old roadster!

F76122739.jpg

UTV Hand Operated Wiper and Bracket

So hang on to your "standard transmission" F Series truck. We'll be able to get parts somewhere.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
WOW and this thread is still going. We are straying way off course guys, lets get back on the rails please and discuss the manual transmission.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-11-2014, 07:38 PM
New User

safetygenie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not condemned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs4th View Post
Driving just does not feel like driving without a manual transmission. As a person who loves to drive I see many benefits to a manual transmission aside from just the joy of shifting. Are there any plans to bring the manual transmission back with the 2015 F-Series or are we condemned to the automatic?
Do like I do-- buy older trucks, keep 'em on the road-- will NEVER give up a manual trans!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Postmaster

Dakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to beholdDakster is a splendid one to behold
Very disappointed that manual transmissions are going to the wayside - And then worried if I buy one that I will never be able to sell it if I decided I didn't want the vehicle. I want to teach my kids how to drive one as I believe it is an important, albeit now, outdated skill.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Freshman User

dundonrl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach View Post
I think 2008 was the last year for a manual in a F150. Still can get one in a Super Duty
nope, the ONLY full size pickup you can get a manual transmission is in a Ram 2500/3500 behind the Cummins diesel (this includes Ford, GM products, Nissan and Toyota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul View Post
I know they de-rated the Cummins to 600 something foot/lbs for the manual. But I didn't think that they still offered the manual.

610 ft lbs in the 2010-2012, and 660 in the 2013+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul View Post
I wonder when the decline of people wanting a manual started? Or is it that people are just too lazy to learn it? At my job you can at least expect one vehicle a day has a manual that rolls in. My issues is not every clutch engages at the same point or the manufacturer does something really dumb to get into say reverse. VW you have to push the shift down to get in. Saab in order to get the key out it has to be in reverse.

My issues with manuals is they are not very user friendly for new people to drive them. I love manuals to death but my good lord they are a PITA to learn...too many variances in where the clutch grabs or different shift patterns to learn.
about the only thing that's different on one manual transmission to another (on any manual sold in the last 20 years at least is where is reverse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Driving a MT Mustang is quite different than driving a MT truck loaded or pulling heavy. The Mustang has oodles and gobs of power to allow you to lug it way down in 5th and still come back to speed without touching the shifter.

Since the mid 80's, the F-150's were using the Mazda OD transmissions instead of am ore conventional truck tranny with a granny gear. The Mazda trans is fine but not for heavy work. I had three of them, they sucked.

well, get your manual behind a diesel, and it has plenty of torque to keep even a heavy load moving. I went from a 03 Mustang Cobra with about 450 hp at the wheels to a 12 Ram 2500 Cummins with G56 manual, and even towing 10,000 lbs I had more than enough torque in 5th on any hill or 6th anywhere else to keep the speed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_the_Torch View Post
Here is why I believe the manual is all but dead (at least at FMC):

1. Sales. If the amount of manual transmission trucks being sold isn't worth making a manual transmission an option for the truck, you're going to stop. It makes financial sense.

if you don't build it, your not going to get any sales.. there's 0% chance of buying new F series with a manual, so I guess that means people don't want them.....(there's a reason why I'm driving a Ram instead of a Ford, the ONLY reason is Ford doesn't make a manual transmission equipped pickup)

2. Automatics have become stronger and more reliable. The tow rating on an automatic are higher than on a manual these days. If you're going to haul stuff with your truck, and most people do, you're going to want the best tow rating you can get.

just build a transmission that's stout enough if you want to tow a heavy load, don't tell me it can't be done, since class 8 trucks are towing hundreds of thousands of pounds with manual transmissions.

3. Fewer people know how to drive a manual. No idea what a clutch is. Some people physically cannot do it. They don't have the coordination, which is sad in it's self. I know people with no desire to learn it. They aren't all standard, which makes it a PITA if you're driving a different brand. If there isn't a diagram on the shifter, and I've never been in the car before, I don't know where first and reverse are. Not to mention some you have to push in to put into reverse, others you pull up on the shifter, and others there's a button.

4. Just about every auto transmission you have now is an auto-stick (that's what we call them at work). So you can put it in a mode where you have to tell the transmission to shift, but it's not as fun as having 5 on the floor. But the option is there if that's what you prefer.

my son (20 now) took his drivers test in my 01 Explorer with an auto, but his daily driver now is a 92 F150 300" six with a 5 speed manual behind it.. he LOVES it..

5. Traffic today is a bear. City driving it seems ever 2 seconds you're at a stop light or sign. Bumper-to-bumper traffic jams on the highways. I've driven both types in this...and I prefer the auto to it for the simplicity (and I don't have to worry about stalling it or burning up a clutch).

stop and go traffic especially easy in my pickup, drop it into granny low and just crawl along at 3 mph.. sure you might get a bit of a gap in front of you, but I don't care and I'm not going to save time by being 6" behind the guy doing 3 mph in front of me. When I do catch up with him, just push the clutch in, drop it into neutral and coast to a stop, not much easier than that. (once just to see how slow I could go, put it into low range, but doing 1 mph was just a bit slow.)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
better not...
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Senior User

Frdtrkrul is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
McSniperliger McSniperliger
Back in the day manuals got better mileage than autos, plus were much more towing friendly with low granny gears and a wider gear spread than your standard 3 and 4 speed autos. Now autos have 8 speeds and soon 9 and 10 when Ford/Gm have their joint venture in what 2017/18?

Like I said before there is a transition in the trucking industry a few manufacturers are moving from manual to automatic. I would have thought that these trucks would at least keep the manual forever..guess not.

For people that need more gears with an automatic they could spend the $3000 for a GV gear splitter/OD unit or they could drop in a manual...either one is a bit of work but both will do the job.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM