1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 F250 with 7.3 - is this a good reliable truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM
aimcat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F250 with 7.3 - is this a good reliable truck?

My husband and I are considering trading for a 02 F250 ext cab, long bed, 4x4. My husband would be trading his 04 GMC Sierra 2500 crew cab for it, the gmc is fully loaded and the f250 isn't but he has always wanted a diesel and especially the 7.3. We have heard many people praised the 7.3 and want to know your opinions? We always heard this was one of the best diesels around.

Is this a good trade as well?

Any opinions and advice are great!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. As with any used vehicle, it all boils down to how well it was taken care of and maintained. You might find a dusted engine that has to be replaced within the month, or you might find a gem that will be good for the long term.

As a general rule, the 7.3 is a reliable motor, and the last diesel before they started slapping all the newer emissions stuff on them. I've got 472,000 miles on my 02 and wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1,000 mile trip tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The 7.3 has been very reliable for me. However beware of PMS!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
aimcat
New User
What do you mean PMS? Lol

Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Powerstroke Modification Syndrome.

Costs a lotta' dollars once you get started on it.

Of course, it's "optional".

(But tough to resist!)

Pop

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aimcat
My husband and I are considering trading for a 02 F250 ext cab, long bed, 4x4. My husband would be trading his 04 GMC Sierra 2500 crew cab for it, the gmc is fully loaded and the f250 isn't but he has always wanted a diesel and especially the 7.3. We have heard many people praised the 7.3 and want to know your opinions? We always heard this was one of the best diesels around.

Is this a good trade as well?

Any opinions and advice are great!
I had a 1999 chevy- 6 litre before I bought my first diesel - 2002 also - I had also heard how great they pulled when towing which is 95% of the time what the truck is used for. - I couldnt believe the first couple times I towed the trailer with it. Night & day difference - Many steep grades with the chevy -3500-4000rpm - With the diesel if I pay attention & ease the pedal down on a long steep grade I can top the hill at 2000 -2300 rpm still maintaining 65-70 mph. Hope you find one somebody took care of & ask for service/maintenance records. With proper maintenance these are great, reliable motors. Good Luck

Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 PM
celltech
Senior User
Sure the motor is reliable but the truck is 12 years old. These trucks are old and most have been work horses. There is also rust and all the crap that comes with that if you live in this part of the country. I wouldn't buy one just cause he has always wanted one. That's what I did and regret it. I bought a new F150 now and couldn't be happier. Just gas and go.

My .02

Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by celltech
There is also rust and all the crap that comes with that if you live in this part of the country.
You shoulda' bought a Texas truck. That's what I did (on eBay, no less!), and could not be happier! No rust when I got it, and there still isn't any.

You don't HAVE to buy a used truck locally! Why assume it'll be a rust bucket? There are still lots of these going strong in dry country!

Fly in, pay for it, and drive it home. Easy-peasy if you're dealing with someone reliable.

Pop

Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is only reliable if you don't mind a older truck that is going to need work. There old and things ware out so keep in mind that front end work up pipes seals orings are **** to be bad. I would read the buyers guide a d if you don't know what you are to look for take a someone that dose. It took me 14 months to find my truck so on need to hrush it there are 100000s of the trucks out there to be had

Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
I agree with Pop completely. Take your time and find the right truck for you. Be vigilant when researching the vehicle and don't hesitate to buy a south or southwestern truck & go pick it up. We've done this at least half a dozen times through eBay.

The 7.3 is as reliable as they come.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Reliable yes but they are 12 yrs old and things do wear out that need replacing. I am a die hard family of Fords and I would say cross the line and get it but, what is wrong with your current truck? I don't think you will like the ext cab after having a crew cab. And if your GMC is gas you will be shelling out more money for diesel since it costs more. What are your plans for the truck? Do you tow or are you just wanting one? If it was me and nothing wrong with your GMC then I wouldn't do it just because. Oil changes cost more and over all maintenance is much more then gas and go.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Reliable... where to start: My avatar notwithstanding (PMS got me), you will not likely find one of these where you just "diesel and drive". As mentioned above, these rigs have years and miles on them, and they will behave like a vehicle with 200,000 miles on it. That being said, I have done everything I can to destroy my engine (through a learning curve on what not to do), and it came out the back side with more power than a brand new 6.7L Ford Powerstroke. I also have about the same features as a brand new Superduty. Total cost for "Stinky" (the wonder truck) is significantly less than half the cost of a new truck with similar capabilities and features... including purchase price, upgrades, and modifications. Any one of my mistakes would have absolutely killed a newer diesel, but the 7.3L is a very tolerant beast.

If you're going to tow a lot, diesel is hard to beat. On top of that, my wife and I both enjoy Stinky to the point where he is part of the family. It's not because of the luxurious ride - Ford Superduties of this era have a rough ride, but the suspension can be updated. It's the safety factor (its a monster on treacherous roads) and the durability that really draws us. No matter what mess I made with the truck, it always got us home - and there are a few threads on the forum where my misadventures have taken place very far from home. Stinky has never stranded us in the sticks.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM
aimcat
New User
We live in southern VA and this truck is in Kentucky. My husband does HVAC contracting work, has his own company, so at times he might need to haul a lot of things in the bed of the truck - like HVAC units, duct work, tools, etc. right now his bed on the GMC is a short bed so the long bed in the Ford will come in handy. We also tow a boat in the summer, as well as a trailer pulling our classic car to some car shows. We tow things about 6-10 times a year. MY husband does a lot of driving around on a daily basis from one town to another, a lot of highway miles, so the thought of the diesel maybe getting a little better MPG is nice also. The 6.0 in his GMC currently says the average is 11.9 MPG - so that sucks.
WE have to trade the GMC for the Ford and also the ford will leave us with about 1200 less financed than the GMC is currently, in turn making the payment a little less, etc. Our GMC, while it is an 04 and the Ford is an 02 is no spring chicken. When we got it, it had installed a brake box and 5th wheel and in its previous life is obvious that someone worked it hard and put it up wet. We had to do 1800 worth of work when we got it and my husband says when he drives it he feels like he has to baby it, it just feels weak to him or delicate.

The Ford we are looking at has no modifications, no 5th wheel. Has tow package, but no 5th wheel we have seen to be leery of.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the 7.3L is the most reliable diesel in any of the big three since probably the Dodge Cummins of the early 90s. If I ever wear out mine (doubtful), Ill be looking for the newest, lowest mileage 7.3L left.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
MY husband does a lot of driving around on a daily basis from one town to another, a lot of highway miles, so the thought of the diesel maybe getting a little better MPG is nice also. The 6.0 in his GMC currently says the average is 11.9 MPG - so that sucks.

Most 7.3s in the city/towing will get 13ish, and with the price difference, you won't save a dime on diesel. Don't forget the 14 quart oil changes, done more frequently. Having said this, if you're looking at a 7.3, find a decent diesel shop familiar with the trucks and pay them $100 to check it out - and then be sure they do more than wiggle the tie rod ends. Tell them you want a decent rundown on the engine, moreso than the rest of the truck. They should drive it, check for codes, check for leaks, visually inspect the turbo, etc.

Quick Reply: 2002 F250 with 7.3 - is this a good reliable truck?