Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
a strange brake problem: 04 new body F-150

one of the neighborhood kids stopped by this afternoon with his 04 new body style 4 door short bed 5.4 powered 4X4 F-150.
he was complaining about "spongy" brakes and asked if i could look at it.
i felt the back rotors and knew it needed back brakes, so went to napa and picked up pads and rotors.
the driver side rear pads were seized in the bracket
i was able to pry the caliper off, and had to use a hammer to knock the pads off.
i put the new stainless sliders/shims on the bracket, and the pads would not go on.
the only way i could get the pads to fit was if i removed the upper slider/shim.
the passenger side fit fine with both slider/shims on the bracket.

anyone ever see this before?

a little history on the truck, his brother in law bought it new, and it was front/rear smashed at 6 months old with 1200 miles on it.
body shop replaced the nose and bed.
he got it 4 years ago with 21,000 miles on it after his brother in law passed away, it now has 113,000 miles on it.
he never had rear brakes put on it, and i really doubt his brother in law had them done either.

i am thinking the rear axle brake bracket was bent in the accident and the body shop never fixed it.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Junior User

VTX1800N1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The pads should hook into the caliper carrier at the rear. A spring on the forward edge of the pad compresses as it's installed in the carrier. The caliper then slides over both.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i know this. i am talking about the stainless steel slider that goes over the cast caliper mount that the pads sit on.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Postmaster

danorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputationdanorules has a superb reputation
I had the same problem with my Napa parts. Initially I reassembled without using the sliders. That caused a rattle I didn't like listening to, so I disassembled the calipers again and filed down the channel for the slider. It took a few tries but I got it to fit correctly. Now it all works the way it should
Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150