1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the Dumbest Thing You’ve Ever Done with Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Oh dang, I almost forgot about my ultimate bonehead move....well, in a truck anyway.

When I was 16 and first driving I had a 1956 F-100. That was so long ago it wasn't considered a classic at the time, just an old truck. Inline 6, 3-on-the-tree, manual steering, brakes, just a basic truck.

I was backing the F-100 up the driveway for some reason. One side of the driveway in the house where I grew up was lined with juniper bushes. The truck had just been painted, so I had no side mirrors installed. I had to open the door and pop my head out to see where I was going because of the slope of the driveway. Yup....you guessed it. The open door snagged a juniper bush.

By the time I noticed the door was touching the front fender.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Budman1962
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under my superduty doing my annual pre-hunting season maintenance when stupidity bit me. I checked the transfer case fluid and rear axle fluid. While I was under there I thought I would grease the drive shaft slip yok. I unbolted the U-joint caps and and tapped the drive shaft forward. Well my driveway has a pretty good slope to it. Guess what I forgot to do? I forgot to chock the wheels or even put on the parking brake. The truck proceeded to drag me down the driveway and into the street. I tried to grab something so I could just drag along to the bushes across the street couldn't get ahold of anything. The front tire hit me in the middle of the back. It didn't roll over me but I was pinned on my side. One shoulder on the ground and one against the body of the pickup. The tire was pressing against my back. I couldn't move at all and I could only only take short breaths. Luckily my wife was home and the window on the house was open. I couldn't yell very loud at all. She came out and panicked. I told here to put a brick behind the tire. Then she screamed for help. Neighbors came from every direction. They lifted on the front bumper and I was able to roll over to my stomach. Road rash all the way down my left side from face to ankle. Two broken ribs and a broken nose. It was a bloody mess. Lesson learned.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A'yup, (understandable, but) that ones clearly the winner of this discussion.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
A'yup, (understandable, but) that ones clearly the winner of this discussion.
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to post that.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Budman, I did the same thing on a very shallow sloped driveway and was able to to hold the truck as I yelled to my neighbor to block a wheel.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 PM
dying breed racing
Senior User
Pulling two 18ft triple axle trailers hooked together one loaded with Xmas trees the other a 40hp massy with a Xmas tree baler hooked to it with my 95 f250 power stroke. About an hour trip to the loading yard and it being 2am I didnt want to make two trips. If the whole rig wasn't 70ft long it wasn't 2ins. God I miss that truck! Burnt the clutch a little taking off and brakes slowing down but she took it like a champ!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 PM
dying breed racing
Senior User
I just remembered that 95 had over 300k on the clock. In my defences I was paid by the trailer and with the lack off sleep it seemed like a good idea. First hill it went up full spool in 3rd going down I realized my caffeine induced ideas ain't so great

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss08v10
Budman, I did the same thing on a very shallow sloped driveway and was able to to hold the truck as I yelled to my neighbor to block a wheel.
Are you Superman?

Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redford
Are you Superman?
I would say more idiot and dumb luck then superman.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
belchfire
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They were clearing some land and had a "free firewood" sign. I parked my new '85 ranger under a branch figuring that I could cut it and it would fall into the bed and save me from having to load it. I cut the branch which was considerably heavier than I thought and it smashed into the bed and dented it pretty badly. I also hauled 2400 lbs of scrap metal in it. It made it and ran for a year afterwards before I sold it. One tough truck.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
dying breed racing
Senior User
That reminds me of a friend of mine who died in a car crash a few years back. When I was still running my drag car he was building his a 67 el Camino (truck/car?) Well we had dropped in the new small block and got it dialed in and was ready for paint. A few days later he had it parked next to the building which sat next to to fence line and his neighbor was cutting trees out of the fence as to redo it and well you guessed it. Oak right across the bed. Total loss! I think that is the maddest I ever seen him. Thanks for reminding me of that. He was a good friend and an even better racer. His brother took the car after he died and fixed it back. He races it every now and then. His neighbor hooked a tractor to the tree to pull it back across the property line and in the process made it a lot worse.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:31 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was pretty dumb:

Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Geeeeez, that's a big chunk of wood for that old f100! Looks like it broke the park pin maybe. He shoulda dropped it onto a big steel deck trailer instead.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Color01
Freshman User
made a expensive mistake yesterday, Came back with the gooseneck horse trailer, after I unhooked everything...I went in the house for a drink...and later I jumped in the truck ..and forgot the drop the tailgate down

you can maybe guess what happened....damaged the whole tailgate from my truck

Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 PM
The John
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Budman1962
I was under my superduty doing my annual pre-hunting season maintenance when stupidity bit me. I checked the transfer case fluid and rear axle fluid. While I was under there I thought I would grease the drive shaft slip yok. I unbolted the U-joint caps and and tapped the drive shaft forward. Well my driveway has a pretty good slope to it. Guess what I forgot to do? I forgot to chock the wheels or even put on the parking brake. The truck proceeded to drag me down the driveway and into the street. I tried to grab something so I could just drag along to the bushes across the street couldn't get ahold of anything. The front tire hit me in the middle of the back. It didn't roll over me but I was pinned on my side. One shoulder on the ground and one against the body of the pickup. The tire was pressing against my back. I couldn't move at all and I could only only take short breaths. Luckily my wife was home and the window on the house was open. I couldn't yell very loud at all. She came out and panicked. I told here to put a brick behind the tire. Then she screamed for help. Neighbors came from every direction. They lifted on the front bumper and I was able to roll over to my stomach. Road rash all the way down my left side from face to ankle. Two broken ribs and a broken nose. It was a bloody mess. Lesson learned.
Super glad you weren't hurt, but the super important question is: Did you still hunt, and were you successful?

Quick Reply: What’s the Dumbest Thing You’ve Ever Done with Your Truck?