Sponsored by:

Roof Rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM
sr23
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rust

This is rust on my very very low mileage diesel excursion.
The windshield is chipped in three places, needing replaced. However, a shop cannot replace the windshield due to this rust.
When they pull the old one, its all going to fall apart.
The body shops around here cannot say if they can fix it or not til the windshield is pulled. If it is fixable it will be $4000 to replace roof and windshield.
if allowed to pull this chipped windshield, and if they see its too rusted to repair the rust damage and get a new windshield in...I am basically screwed. A truck not able to be repaired, basically just turns into a scrap truck. Any advice or suggestions?

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/for...tml?sort=3&o=1

Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM
sr23
Junior User
Old 04-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Elliot Ness
Freshman User
I have seen way worse than than and there is very few things that are not repairable. That is not one of them... I would pull the window myself if there are issues with the shops complaining. Tool to do it properly is 10 dollars..

Almost anything can be fixed...

How to Remove Rust from a Car: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
sr23
Junior User
The auto body shops claims they will not know if they can repair he roof til they pull the windshield, and see what shape the roof supports underneath are in. They won't repair the roof if the supports are damaged. Which is a shame, as it is a beautiful rig. Do I gamble, allow them to pull this windshield and end up with a parts truck or something that can be repaired? If it has to be a parts vehicle due to this damage, was considering buying a clean excursion body and swapping everything from this one to other.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Elliot Ness
Freshman User
They are simply trying to get more money out of you. Go somewhere else. Explain to them that there is this really awesome machine called a welder and it makes metal stick together.

I would take the paint off where the rust is.. if under the paint there are voids and complete holes, your estimate doubles. If there is just sever rust, get a soft brass wheel and start cutting away at it.. if it gets to the point where it becomes thin, a real body shop can lead it up for you and keep on going.

Funny thing is I know this and am not a body guy, why doesnt the shop know it.

They want your money. Get other estimates.
Leading(Tinning) fills the voids...old school way.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A member here just recently had the exact same rust repaired. hopefully he will post here. I think they replaced the roof! if not to bad they can cut out the rust and form new metal and weld it in place!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
There is definite rot on the passenger side. Metal will need to be replaced. No you don't need a whole roof but many places don't like patching a section like that. Personally if it were mine I would pull the windshield, cut out the bad spots and weld in new sections but I am a fab guy.

Where are you located?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM
sr23
Junior User
Snowseeker, I sent you a message with our general location. I'm not familiar with body work in the least. Each shop I spoke to told me to junk it. When I stated it was a low mileage diesel, they changed it to, well maybe have the work done.

Just wanted to update, that my brother provided me with a man's phone number he knows, who does body work. It isn't a fancy high end shop. He claims he can repair this damage no matter how bad it is, and for roughly one thousand cheaper than the other quote. Later this week I will set up An appointment to take the truck to the shop for a better estimate. Will update again after that. Thanks everyone for suggestions and input.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Just a thought, when my old Jeeps used to get too beat up or rusty from wheeling I'd hit the scrapyards, some even a few hours drive if they had the right part. Why couldn't you just do the same and chop out the upper channel and other damaged areas? Saves on fab work, all that'd be left is cutting the crusty stuff out and welding in the new replacement. Way easier said than done I realize but it could save a lot of body and fab work labor hours which is where a lot of that bill is coming from.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Elliot Ness
Freshman User
Agree with Krazee, take a sawzall to the yard and find a mint roof line and cut 3x the area you need. That way your fabricator can have room to work with.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Definitely doesn't look good and I hope it works out for you. A friend of mine just had his roof replaced on his Excursion and it was $4500 for a completely new panel and windshield frame.

I just picked up a 1997 Expedition for my son so we can re do it together. It had severe roof rot but not around the windshield. We sanded the whole roof down with 80 grit paper and then ground out the real bad areas. I used Rust-Fix on everything and after it cured I fiberglassed it all. It is completely watertight now and I'm just waiting on some free time to finish it all off. Definitely not as good as welding in a new panel or patch panels but it will certainly hold up for a first time driver. I'm going to finish the whole roof off with Kitty Hair filler to smooth everything back out and then paint it.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 AM
miko6810
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by sr23
This is rust on my very very low mileage diesel excursion.
The windshield is chipped in three places, needing replaced. However, a shop cannot replace the windshield due to this rust.
When they pull the old one, its all going to fall apart.
The body shops around here cannot say if they can fix it or not til the windshield is pulled. If it is fixable it will be $4000 to replace roof and windshield.
if allowed to pull this chipped windshield, and if they see its too rusted to repair the rust damage and get a new windshield in...I am basically screwed. A truck not able to be repaired, basically just turns into a scrap truck. Any advice or suggestions?

0429141322a_resized.jpg Photo by ford_f150_babe | Photobucket
if your close to west Michigan, i can give you the name of a body shop here. I just went yesterday and was quoted $600 to repair the rust repaint my roof..that doesn't include the price of a new windshield.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts