6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Any inpuit before I order this??

Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Spartan does good stuff. As long as it is new so you don't have to pay to unlock it for your vin and...It comes with a monitor for your engine vitals then it will do the trick.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
It's new in package, spoke to the shop about the issues my brother is having I hope this cures his problem. He was getting the 2452? code and gutted his particulate filter so we will see.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
no....don't think so..that is a low fuel pressure circuit. Might be an issue with the sensor or the wiring.

Why would he gut the DPF?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Booma
Junior User
I drive a 2010 SD and was getting 3% fuel dilution. Probably from interrupted regens that I caused when I shut my truck off while it was cleaning the DPF (stopped at work, home, etc.). My truck was regenerating about every 150-250 miles.

I bought the Spartan tuner and a downpipe-back stainless pipe with muffler from Flo-Pro about 450 miles ago. So it's too early for a real good answer to you about how what you are thinking about buying will work out in the long run.

But I can tell you one thing for sure. You will really like your truck a lot more.

I deleted my DPF/CAT and the rest of the exhaust in my driveway in about two hours with common hand tools (I did buy a pair of exhaust hangar pliers from NAPA that made getting the exhaust pipe out of the rubber hangars that made that part of the job a WHOLE lot easier). I then tuned my truck with the 40NEGR DPF delete tune. This disables the EGR valve from opening up as well as deleting the DPF functions.

My truck runs soooo much better even though I am running the mildest tune Spartan offers (I was aiming at increasing my engines reliability and longevity as opposed to increasing performance). Truck seems to have better acceleration and I have recorded a slight increase in MPG.

But I am so happy to get rid of the DPF regeneration all the time!

If you do get it be careful when you remove the DPF/CAT. Disconnect the sensor connectors first and tape them completely to keep road dirt, etc and then tape them up out of the way on the frame rail to keep them safe. That way you can reinstall your DPF/CAT and retune to OEM if you need to.

Oh by the way, the price being asked is about right. I paid $1500 for my tuner so with the delete pipe you are in the same ballpark as what I paid. And Rudy's has a good reputation.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Thanks Booma. I pulled the trigger after reading your post. It's for my brother and he's not real savy on the computer, so I came here hoping for good news. I hope it works out for him. He will never use the high HP settings just wanting it to be mare reliable and have a nice hit when he steps on the skinny pedal. How is the noise level?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
no....don't think so..that is a low fuel pressure circuit. Might be an issue with the sensor or the wiring.

Why would he gut the DPF?
Because someone (A diesel guru) told him that would cure his problems. Not me!! the code may be wrong from my memory but it was the pf code when I looked it up, A circuit I believe. I'll have him check wiring while he's in there.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Booma
Junior User
Originally Posted by mudmagnet63
Thanks Booma. I pulled the trigger after reading your post. It's for my brother and he's not real savy on the computer, so I came here hoping for good news. I hope it works out for him. He will never use the high HP settings just wanting it to be mare reliable and have a nice hit when he steps on the skinny pedal. How is the noise level?
He will get an increase in acceleration with the mild 40hp tune. But I imagine that's more to do with removing the restriction from the exhaust than anything else. Maybe turbo spools up quicker or something. All I know is it is noticeable.

The noise your brother experiences will be a bit different from mine since I removed all the OEM exhaust from the downpipe back and replaced the whole thing with a 4" exhaust pipe and a straight-thru muffler. There must be some harmonic engineering going into the muffler because my truck doesn't sound like it has a straight pipe only. Just a little louder with a kind of whistle when I step on it. It has been referred to as a jet noise on this site. Not that loud of course but it does sound good without bothering the neighbors or even cars next to me at stoplights.