Sponsored by: Moser

73 f250 360 gasmilage/fuel injection idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 73 f250 360 gasmilage/fuel injection idea

i was wondering what i get (mpg) on my 73 f250 4speed 360ci, also i was thinking about putting a fuel injection kit on it and was wondering if you guys can give me pros and cons and how much better milage i would get i want to do it but friend told me that "these old motors cant handle it" and"you'll wont have as much power" next year ill have my lisence and i intend to drive this truck for 10+ years any help is greatly appreciated

Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
They don't teach English and grammar in high school anymore?

But seriously, your friend has no idea what he's talking about. Advantages include better gas mileage, better driveability, improved throttle response, more power, etc etc...

Disadvantages include lots of time, money, and research. You will find threads about this if you do a search. However, realize that about 95% of the threads on this forum that start out as "hey has anybody done this, because I'm going to do this" go nowhere. Only 5% actually follow through with their ideas.

If you do end up following through with this, we would love to see pictures of your project. Best of luck. One last thing:

Originally Posted by Casey D. Rohr
i was wondering what i get
I don't know what YOU get, nor does anyone else. Use a calculator and find out for yourself.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, that family of engine (FE) was never fuel injected by Ford, so a junkyard / OEM swap isn't possible. You're looking at Holley projection if they still make it, or MSD Atomic EFI. Unless you drive the truck a lot you're not going to save any money, you can buy a lot of gas for the $2,000 that one of those setups will run you.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
Originally Posted by hivoltj
Well, that family of engine (FE) was never fuel injected by Ford, so a junkyard / OEM swap isn't possible. You're looking at Holley projection if they still make it, or MSD Atomic EFI. Unless you drive the truck a lot you're not going to save any money, you can buy a lot of gas for the $2,000 that one of those setups will run you.
You don't technically have to go aftermarket. I know a lot of the guys around here cringe when the thought of re-purposing Chevy parts for our trucks come in to play, but the truth is that there are some worthwhile part to adapt to our trucks.
I for one am trying to get the time together so I can head out to the junkyard and grab the entire TBI system out of a 88-92 Chevy. For more information this is the place you will want to start at. Injection Tech - Binder Planet Forums
Basically the only thing you truly have to buy is an adapter from your carb setup to tbi, f250 fuel pump, the TBI stuff, and then you should be golden. From there you can purchase items to help you tune the ECU for maximum power and fuel efficiency but the stock ECU has the capabilities to adjust its parameters on its own.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
If I had a choice between GM TBI fuel injection and a carb I'd stick with carb. I say go multi-port or don't bother IMHO

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Base fuel consumption is probably around 10 MPG if 4 wd and maybe one more if 2 wd. Compared to a so-so tuned carb, FI will make a significant improvement. Compared to a well tuned carb, it will make some improvement. The big advantage is drivability. Cold start and running is usually better, it adjusts for various fuel blends and handles altitude changes without problem. My dent is carbed (for now) and I run aftermarket FI on another project.

Unless you get really creative with adapted OE parts as posted above, FI is spendy. FAST makes nice stuff. The newer type is self learning so its pretty easy to dial in the fuel curves. If you count only the fuel savings as the benefit, it takes quite a few miles to pay back the initial cost. If you cout drivability, its worth it.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Aftermarket EFI systems include:
  • FAST's EZ-EFI or XFI
  • Professional Product's Projection III
  • Holley's Universal 670 cfm DFI
  • MSD Atomic EFI
  • Howell Fuel Injection
  • MegaSquirt
  • Edelbrock Pro-Flo
  • Edelbrock is currently working on their "E-Street EFI" system similar to MSD's Atomic. I spoke to a rep about a month ago and they are almost done with their on-street/offroad testing. 'Should be coming out late 2012 or early 2013.
Btw, most of these systems cannot accommodate NOS.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Exclamation I don't know...

Subscribed just in case I decide to ditch the carb in the future...

Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Casey D. Rohr
Junior User
what is the least expnsive EFI?, i obviously want a quality, but its something i need to save for Oh and btw my truck is 2wd

Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Exclamation Choices for EFI...

what is the least expnsive EFI?, i obviously want a quality, but its something i need to save for Oh and btw my truck is 2wd
The least expensive EFI is the junkyard (pull one from an early EFI'ed GM truck & get a chip programmed to suit your engine). But, other than that... you'll spend north of $2k for an EFI system from Holley or other popular brands.

Last edited by KingBigJoe; 09-28-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I took a letter out of one of the words.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Least expensive? I'd say MegaSquirt.. that is if ya can figure everything out.

I think the most user-friendly is MSD's Atomic and the forthcoming E-Street EFI. Both are self tuning and use a minimum of wiring.

The MSD can be used with or without a return line. The pump can be pulse width modulated or, if vapor lock is a concern, continuously operated by installing a return line and bypass regulator. Four Wheeler magazine has a write up in their October 2012 issue.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
By the time you get around to spending the kind of money you would have spent for a quality aftermarket F.I. system you could have just bought a late model engine and swapped it in. If you look around you can find some killer deals, a friend of mine found a late model 5.3 chebby motor and swapped it into his 69 Chebby. It replaced his 400, he was telling me that he's very satisfied with the swap. The new smaller engine makes as much torque as the old worn out 400 but with much better efficiency and reliability. Plus all the parts he needed could be found easily at a junk yard because those engines have been in production for the past decade. I'm not saying you need to use a chevy or even a brand new modern engine. But look around C.L. and some junkyards, these late model engines have very good quality fuel injection systems and you can get everything used relatively cheap.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
I forgot to mention that my friend picked his engine up for a less than 500. So then he just needed the supporting equipment such as the fuel pump, regulator harness and his engine already had all the required sensors on it.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Dont bother I bought a Holley Pro-Jection for my 400 and 1200.00 later it got the same mileage...Advantage cold starts...Rest sucks!

If youd like to give one a whirl I'd sell mine,I went diesel.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Properly tuned, a carburetor will get the same mileage as EFI, on a healthy engine. The advantage of EFI, of course, is its ability to adjust a/f mixture depending on air density and engine temperature. That being said, late model cars do better on gas mostly because of improved engine designs and improved metallurgy, among other things.

Quick Reply: 73 f250 360 gasmilage/fuel injection idea