1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-250 Gauges went dead. Dashboard lit up with errors.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Combedover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Combedover. I wanted to touch base and see how things are proceeding at your dealership. What's your truck's model year/mileage? I'll investigate some ways to assist.

Crystal
Got the truck back, they couldn't find the problem or duplicate it. It started when they got it off the tow truck. They had it all day and found nothing. Picked it up yesterday. This morning it did it again. But It did not kill the truck, I left it running then everything went back to normal. I wonder what's giving the ghost. keep in mind this is a 2013 XL, not a Lariat or a platinum. So it doesn't have the fancy cluster and radio, I don't think that makes the difference, it looks like the OPs was one of those and I have the same problem. The service department was not aware of any other F250'S having this problem. Glad I found this post as I really don't think its from the air suspension controller I had installed. In my old truck I put in an 800 watt multi-amplifier stereo with a farad capacitor and grounded it to a seat bracket and never had a problem in the twelve years I had the truck. I'm going to check harnesses under the dash tomorrow morning. Though I am not out of pocket the three times its happened, every time I have to get it towed I loose two days of work. The very reason I bought a new truck last year.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Combedover
...I'm going to check harnesses under the dash tomorrow morning. Though I am not out of pocket the three times its happened, every time I have to get it towed I loose two days of work. The very reason I bought a new truck last year.
Let us know what you find, Combedover. If you get these errors again or experience the problem with your gauges, send a PM my way and I'll notify your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Combedover
New User
The problem is getting more frequent. I think it may have to do with something near the parking brake. Perhaps that harness. Every time the gauges glitch, etc. If I pull over, and put the parking break on, then release it it goes back to normal. I have to make sure not to turn off engine when it is glitching or it will not start after wards. Today I pulled up to a job, just about to turn key to stop engine, it glitches. I put in the parking break and released, it stopped, then glitches again before I could shut down. Had to rinse and repeat till I could pull out the key before it glitches. I think I am going to take it back to the dealer where I bought it from. F250's were supposed to haul things, not be hauled on tow trucks. I thank everyone for posting on this thread.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a shame that Ford's line is that theses are isolated cases and they do not seem to be offering the dealerships any substantive help. They should take a truck like yours with an easily reproduced issue and put their best factory team on.

It is very disconcerting when I tow my 7,500 lb. trailer to some pretty remote areas with my family that this problem could reoccur at any time. It has the potential to be a disaster.

Please keep us posted.

Hector

Old 08-07-2015, 04:53 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Similar truck, 2013 F250 XL. It did run 235 miles & 5.5 hours today without issue.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-crazy.html

Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM
dband
New User
Originally Posted by Bandguy
It is a shame that Ford's line is that theses are isolated cases and they do not seem to be offering the dealerships any substantive help. They should take a truck like yours with an easily reproduced issue and put their best factory team on.

It is very disconcerting when I tow my 7,500 lb. trailer to some pretty remote areas with my family that this problem could reoccur at any time. It has the potential to be a disaster.

Please keep us posted.

Hector
This is the exact reason why I had to request a buyback from Ford. No matter how many times they tried to fix it, I couldn't rely on it for it's intended purpose; to pull a trailer and go camping in no mans land.

Any of you that are having problems like this. Just get the process started for a buyback. This problem creeps up randomly on you. Mine went for 10 miles and started up, then 200 miles and started up. Then it lasted for an entire 1,500 miles and started again. Once this problem rears it's head, you cannot rely on the truck. Mind you, both the dealership and Ford were positive they've fixed the problem each time!

Ford doesn't seem to be dedicating any resources to it, just having the dealership try fix it. Or have a Tech fly in for a day, hook up his computer and go back to his lab to review the data, only to say 'I dunno what the problem is'.

Just start the buyback......

Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
I wonder if Ford will buy back something that is out of warranty??

dband, did Ford give you $$$ towards a new Ford, or do they just give you $$$ & let you do what you want with it??? What did you end up with?

Realistically, it just has to run long enough to get from the Ford dealership to the Chevy dealership to get traded in.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Unfortunately, with only one occurrence a buy back is unlikely. I'm not even close to meeting the legal requirements in NJ.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
If you have not seen the thread "PCM relay? Truck won't start", check it out. Projectnitemare thinks he has found the issue.

Bandguy

Old 08-24-2015, 08:11 PM
street rodder
Senior User
I just read on here it may be the steering column module and the associated connectors. There are pins in these connectors that aren't making good and sometimes the module is fried.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Po6ept
New User
Same Thing, 2013 F-250 Diesel

My 2013 F-250 Lariat diesel is in the shop for the 4th time since December with the exact same problem. I hop in the truck, go to start it, and nothing. The in-dash display sequences through all the error codes, there is no odometer or miles-to-empty reading, and the oil and transmission temperatures are just dashed lines. When I turn the key to the start position, the display goes blank and the system does a reset. When that happens, it clears the stored parameters (tire size, etc.) and the truck runs poorly until the system re-learns my driving style.

The weird thing on mine is that if I release the emergency brake, it will sometimes clear the problem but only if the brake pedal slams against the stop. Could be the vibration.

It's been at the dealer for 6 full days this time and the tech thinks he may have found arcing at the primary side of the start/run relay so they are replacing the harness.

I'm tired of the truck randomly stranding me.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Check out the video by projectnitemare. The parking brake connection makes me think his findings might be applicable to your problem.

Bandguy

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Po6ept
...It's been at the dealer for 6 full days this time and the tech thinks he may have found arcing at the primary side of the start/run relay so they are replacing the harness...
Have you heard any news from the dealer this morning, Po6ept? What's the current mileage on your truck? I want to see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Po6ept
New User
Crystal,

Thank you for the offer. I sent you an email with my information. The dealer is checking to see when they can get the harness. I have a call in to them to find out if it connects at the emergency brake and to tell them about the two threads in this forum.

The truck has 17,600 miles on it and this started at about 8500 miles if I remember correctly.

Edit: The service adviser just called to say that the harness is on back-order and that they won't even hear back on availability until sometime tomorrow. They suggest that I take my truck home unrepaired again and schedule yet another service visit after it's been in the shop eight business days, since start-of-business last Tuesday.

If I come across as frustrated, I am.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Po6ept
Crystal,

Thank you for the offer. I sent you an email with my information...
Thanks, Po6ept. I got your message and sent you a reply. Be sure to update us here when you have any news from your dealership or CSM.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2013 F-250 Gauges went dead. Dashboard lit up with errors.