1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Upper Midwest Truckfest 2014 2nd post

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:45 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is this deal only open for people who actual own an old truck, or anybody that just wants to ogle everyone else's trucks? Lol

Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
While Bob is busy chasing cows and cleaning his shoes, those planning to attend may be thinking about travel routes. Bob has provided great comments about conditions and suggestions regarding his immediate neighborhood.

Knowing that there are some major works projects in the area, I'm ready to work with any FTEers who want to check on specific roadways. Just pm me and we'll find a suitable and safe path for all.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
While Bob is busy chasing cows and cleaning his shoes, those planning to attend may be thinking about travel routes. Bob has provided great comments about conditions and suggestions regarding his immediate neighborhood.

Knowing that there are some major works projects in the area, I'm ready to work with any FTEers who want to check on specific roadways. Just pm me and we'll find a suitable and safe path for all.
If any of you caravan to get there, PLEASE take some pics and maybe video on your trip!

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 95stepside
So is this deal only open for people who actual own an old truck, or anybody that just wants to ogle everyone else's trucks? Lol
As in the past with the other meets, we'd like to limit it to active members of the '48 to '56 board just to keep it small and intimate. While there are going to be a few old trucks present, from past experience there are also going to many members who have trucks in progress or have stock trucks they don't feel like driving a great distance. I wouldn't encourage anyone who doesn't feel right about driving their old truck to do so. The most important consideration is safety, if a person doesn't feel they can safely drive their old truck don't feel obligated to drive it but if you can trailer it do so or at least bring along pictures of your truck no matter what stage of the build it is in even if it's just been pulled out of a field. We're all old truck people, we like pictures. The second most important thing, after safety, is the people themselves. The meets are actually more focused on the members than the trucks, it's a lot of fun to just sit around a fire with a group of like minded individuals. BTW, we don't just talk about trucks. Myself, it's fun to actually talk "truck" with someone who doesn't stare off into the distance until I'm done talking about them and who can relate to my, as my wife calls it, "obsession".

Originally Posted by FortyNiner

Thanks Duane I really appreciate the help. With my new job I don't get around town as much as I used to and don't have a handle on all of the road situations in and around town. If there are member with knowledge of road conditions you think would be helpful please contribute. We have a couple of people coming from Kentucky so anyone with knowledge of road problems in the Chicago area it would be helpful to know.

I will say this, I forgot to mention it before here and in my emails, there's a stretch of major construction north of I-94 on Hwy 41/45. For those of you who receive my event emails with the directions to my house that's the section after you enter the Milwaukee area via I-94 and take the bypass, I-894. I-894 takes you around the south western part of the city of Milwaukee avoiding the hassles of taking I-94 through downtown Milwaukee. When I-894 meets up again with I-94 on the western side of Milwaukee you cross over I-94 and keep going straight, continuing on Hwy 41/45. Right after I-94 they are adding a number of overpass bridges. There is a lot of construction in this area but the DOT is doing a really good job of making it an easy commute through the area, but there is still some slow downs and lane deviations. It only lasts about 5 miles and then you're into clear sailing.

As far as other problems; If you're coming from the west, but further to the north Hwy 60 is a mess, I was told last weekend that a major part is closed until the fall.

You can also check the Wisconsin DOT site for construction and closures:

511WI | Traffic and Transit | Commuter Information | Incidents | Closures | Road Conditions

I just checked this site and it looks like there are numerous ramp closures on I-94 but that shouldn't affect anyone as long as you take the I-894 bypass. They also list numerous ramp closures on Hwy 41/45 but again, they won't affect anyone coming because these are ramps to streets you won't be getting off on. Once you get to the northern part of Milwaukee the roads are all open. There is some minor lane diversion just to the south of the Lannon Rd exit, the exit off of Hwy 41/45, the one you need to take to get to my house but it's minor, I just saw this day before yesterday. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about this, it may be finished by the time you come.

Duane, if you can think of anything else please post it here and I'll repost it in an email to the group.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Just a little preview of what to look forward on Friday and Saturday night"

Old 09-03-2014, 07:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Just a little preview of what to look forward on Friday and Saturday night"

That is awesome, Bob! I see the Monkey Face, the Manure Spreader, a 55 grill and part of another that I can't make out. I am assuming you got a 53, 54 and a 56. real Cool!

Edit: Upon further inspection I think the partial grill on the right is the 54 as I can make out one of the "Fangs"... right?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I have all six grills represented. This is an old rim from one of my kid's tractor. Some soap stone and plasma cutter and now I have a burn ring.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Bob, that is a piece of art!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Well, less than one week for Dairyland Truckfest 2014, it's crunch time. Trying to get everything ready for the weekend and hoping the weather helps out. It's been unseasonably cool up here, in the 60s during the day and in the 30-40s at night, damn global warming, climate change or whatever they want to call it. Next weekend is suppose to be in the 70s. I think we're going to work the fire ring overtime next weekend. No matter what it will be a good time.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Looking forward to seeing all of you next weekend at Bobs. It is going to be awesome! See you all there!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
It's been unseasonably cool up here, in the 60s during the day and in the 30-40s at night, damn global warming, climate change or whatever they want to call it.
Yeah I've been calling it weather all my life. The global warming/climate change BS is just political mumbo jumbo.

Hope you folks have a great time, and of course we want to see pics (no Sponge Bob pjs please).

Old 09-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't been on here for quite some time, but I am looking forward to getting there!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I'll be there as well. Looking forward to it! Thanks to Mr. Jones, family and friends for the prep work. It's a bit of work to pull one of these together.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by teardropty
Looking forward to seeing all of you next weekend at Bobs. It is going to be awesome! See you all there!
Ty, please be careful around any of Bob's buildings! You don't want to leave your mark again. LOL...

Old 09-14-2014, 02:43 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
I'll see you all there too. Hope the weather cooperates. I too appreciate the work Bob and Michelle are putting into the get together. Stu

Quick Reply: Upper Midwest Truckfest 2014 2nd post