Sponsored by: DP Tuner

V10 vs Diesel front leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM
bigbadbob17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10 vs Diesel front leaf springs

Hey all, I have done some searches and not been able to find the exact answer I am looking for. I have a 99 f350 with saggy reverse arched front springs. I put a levelling kit in it a few years ago which is a spacer between the spring and axle which gave me a few inches of lift. I just bought a set of front springs nearly new from a 2000 f350 V10 gas truck. I have been reading that these springs may be arched taller than the stock diesel springs. If so I am wondering if i should leave the spacer blocks (levelling kit) in the truck or if i should take it out when I swap out the springs. Currently the truck sits nose down even with the blocks because the springs are so weak.

I don't want to put it back together with the levelling blocks only to find the front taller than the back or the opposite without the blocks.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What was the spring code on the door sticker of the V10 truck, versus what's on your door sticker? They may not be any different at all.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
What was the spring code on the door sticker of the V10 truck, versus what's on your door sticker? They may not be any different at all.
What he said.

There were no specific "diesel" springs or "V10" springs for the superduty trucks, unlike the Excursions.

For example, X-code springs were used on Super Duty trucks that had the plow package, regardless of engine type. Likewise, V code springs could be found on V10's and diesel trucks alike.

Stewart

Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM
bigbadbob17
Freshman User
Ok I will have the guy I got them from look at his sticker, I have V code springs as I have come to learn. The springs I got are yc35ala rpn0140

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure that number is a V code spring also, unfortunately.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 PM
bigbadbob17
Freshman User
Thats alright as long as its not a lower rating than what I had in there, I will just leave the levelling kit in there then. Thanks for the help!!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I like this site here for data on the springs. It gives all the dims for the springs, ht, arch, length, etc. It looks like it makes no difference what the engine is, it's not a parameter they ask for.
Search Results | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Old 04-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I like this site here for data on the springs. It gives all the dims for the springs, ht, arch, length, etc. It looks like it makes no difference what the engine is, it's not a parameter they ask for.
Search Results | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts
That is a company selling aftermarket springs, not OEM springs. Do NOT go by that website to determine specs for OEM springs.

Stewart

Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That is a company selling aftermarket springs, not OEM springs. Do NOT go by that website to determine specs for OEM springs.

Stewart
So I'm wrong to believe that they are equal in specs? The way they have them listed would lead one to believe that they match OEM specs. They even refer to them as OEM replacement springs. What am I missing?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
So I'm wrong to believe that they are equal in specs?
Yes, you would be wrong to believe that.

The way they have them listed would lead one to believe that they match OEM specs.
I agree, but they do not match OEM specs, hence my warning to you not to believe an aftermarket website claiming to sell OEM spec'd equipment.

They even refer to them as OEM replacement springs. What am I missing?
You're missing being forearmed with the proper knowledge so you can determine the info they list is incorrect.

The following info is pulled from the SD Springs website:
OEM Replacement Leaf Spring 43-818 FAQ with SD Truck Springs
Q: How can i tell what leaf springs I have?
A: In order to identify what leaf springs your vehicle uses you need to locate your spring code or SPR code. On Ford vehicles this number can be found on a sticker located on the driver's side door panel.

Q: How many Leaves come with this purchase?
A: Leaf Springs are sold individually due to the fact that springs are offered for both the front and the rear of the vehicle. This specific item offers one front leaf spring for the 1999-2004 Ford F250,350 4wd with 2 leaves in the pack.

Q: How much weight will my F250 be able to support with these springs?
A: The spring capacity for the 43-818 front leaf spring is 2,630 lbs. This is the heaviest factory replacement springs Ford has to offer and are known as the Ford X-Code spring.
That last Q&A is wrong.

Click on this link for info and just keep reading, please. It's easier than me trying to retype it or copy it over to here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006

It's info I was giving to Golfmedik regarding the SD Springs he had purchased.

Stewart

Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yes, you would be wrong to believe that.

I agree, but they do not match OEM specs, hence my warning to you not to believe an aftermarket website claiming to sell OEM spec'd equipment.

You're missing being forearmed with the proper knowledge so you can determine the info they list is incorrect.

The following info is pulled from the SD Springs website:

That last Q&A is wrong.

Click on this link for info and just keep reading, please. It's easier than me trying to retype it or copy it over to here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12515006

It's info I was giving to Golfmedik regarding the SD Springs he had purchased.

Stewart
Stewart,
Thank you very much for that information. SD Springs shows up all over the www when performing a search and I expected their information to be reliable. I had my springs purchased and installed at a local shop and they are Stanley 43-818's. It sounds like there is no way of really telling what they are rated for.
Mark

Old 04-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So Mark, how do you like them. From what I've read they are very close to V code springs. I think 2630 each and V code are 2600 each. Do you like the new ride? And did it raise the stopper height? I'm going to replace mine soon also. But mine is a Crewcab with the same code V springs.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Compared to the springs I took off I love it. But I am a bit disappointed that they are not as strong as I thought they would be, I would like to get a plow for the truck. There is about 4 3/4" between the rubber stop and the top of the spring bracket.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'll have to look at mine, but I think I'd be luck to get two fingers in there.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
It sounds like there is no way of really telling what they are rated for.
Mark
Based on the spec info they have posted, you basically have the same spec springs as the Ford V-codes.

The 818's are a terrific option for someone who can't get a deal at their local Ford dealership for V-code springs. I'm not knocking the spring at all, just correcting the info listed on the site regarding their claim that the 818's are equivalent to X codes. That becomes especially obvious when you see they have the 818's listed as replacement springs for the V code, W code, and X code springs on the SD spring site.

Stewart

Quick Reply: V10 vs Diesel front leaf springs