Sponsored by:

Excursion sold

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
ahargrove
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion sold

I wanted to take a minute to thank all you fellow forum members for all the advice and information you provided me on my search for an Excursion. After only owning my EX for 3 months, I have sold it. My EX was a 2000 model and although the 200k+ mileage 7.3 ran like a top, it just wasn't the vehicle for me. I guess it was just too much like an old truck or I'm just too spoiled to the creature comforts of later model vehicles. At the end of the day, it just wasn't a fit for me or my family.
Again, thanks and the best of luck to you all.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What you get as a replacement? Sorry to hear the Ex didn't meet your needs.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM
bflora
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to tell the new owner about this site, and best of luck with the new ride!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM
ahargrove
New User
Technically the Ex did meet our needs but just wasn't the vehicle for us. Of course now that it's gone, the kids are complaining about riding in the back seat of my wife's Escape.
I haven't replaced it yet, making due with one vehicle but searching hard. My wife is partial to the Tahoe and after test driving this weekend, even though it doesn't have the room the Ex had, the ride and creature comforts is more to our liking.
Thanks to all.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
What trim was it? XLT, Limited, EB?

A Tahoe would have Independent Front Suspension which will definitely make the ride feel smoother.

Unless you are towing, a Tahoe probably does make more sense.

What creature comforts are you missing? I don't feel like I'm missing anything in mine. I have navigation, bluetooth integration, rear dvd, remote start, heated seats, etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
ahargrove
New User
It was a limited and for a 2000 model was in very good condition. It didn't have heated seats or the quad captains chairs which are 2 things the Tahoes we're looking at do have. At the end of the day, it rode and drove like a truck and was loud. 15-20 years ago, I wouldn't have let this truck go for a million dollars but today, I'd rather have something a little more plush.
Also, I don't really tow anything on a regular basis, an occasional trailer or boat from time to time.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Lambert01
Senior User
Originally Posted by ahargrove
It was a limited and for a 2000 model was in very good condition. It didn't have heated seats or the quad captains chairs which are 2 things the Tahoes we're looking at do have. At the end of the day, it rode and drove like a truck and was loud. 15-20 years ago, I wouldn't have let this truck go for a million dollars but today, I'd rather have something a little more plush.
Also, I don't really tow anything on a regular basis, an occasional trailer or boat from time to time.
I have a 2007 Escalade and a 2009 Suburban LTZ and a 2001 Excursion. though the GM's may have some of the plush features, they are not put together as solid as the Excursion. If I had owned the Excursion prior to 2007 I would have never bought those trucks and bought more Excursions. My biggest complaint for them is that they are both full of shoddy plastic and though the engines may not be as loud as the 7.3 both trucks have crappy seals around the front doors that let a wind noise through. It doesn't seem to bother my wife as much so I'm pretty much stuck with them. I only drive the X and try not to bother with the other 2.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
lopealle
New User
Good luck on your search for a new rig. You will back...Ex owners always come back....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
pauljadam
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ahargrove
I guess it was just too much like an old truck or I'm just too spoiled to the creature comforts of later model vehicles.
So did you make your money back in the re-sale? It seems these are fairly rare trucks. I don't see many of the 4x4 XLT V10 models in my area.

I still love mine after having it for a few months and spending 2 camping trips in it It seems to be running better than before.

I do agree that it sucks that Ford does not make newer models of these with nicer interiors. I probably couldn't afford a newer model anyway. I looked at the newer suburbans and they were too expensive, I looked at the older suburbans and they were way more worn out on the interior than the older excursions. I also preferred the excursions ride than suburban ride of same year models. I would have tried a newer suburban but to expensive.

We bought ours for different reasons, I just wanted a big *** 4x4 camping, beach SUV but now I drive it to Starbucks, use it to take the big dog places and now he's got the cold AC compared to back of my tacoma.

I still had to use the tacoma to drive a 600+ plus round trip to save money on gas sadly when I'd much rather take the excursion. I take the Ex ever where locally. So Ex is for local trips and camping trips mostly. I have a little 2013 genesis coupe for the modern comforts and road trips without the big dog.

Would you buy an Ex again if they made a new version? I would but probably couldn't afford one my 2000 was only 7 grand.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:52 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
If you like the Tahoe, maybe check out an Expedition.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 AM
je5
Senior User
^^^ Yes, with the EXpedition you have a long lasting Modular engine if you stay with the pre-'05 VIN L engine.