Sponsored by: Moser

Great Brake invention

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Great Brake invention

I discovered a terrific seal for hydrolic lines. With old calibers it is sometimes difficult to get the copper or aluminum crush washers to seal completely.

I was trying and trying and was tightening so tight I was afraid I would snap the banjo bolt. Finally, after trying several types of copper and aluminum washers, I was at a fitting/hydrolic hose supply co., and the guy tossed a 'stater seal' (if I got the name correct.) on the counter. I was blown away. I had never seen one. I didn't know they existed. It is an aluminum crush washer with an O-ring bonded to it. I was told it is from aerospace industry.

I installed it and instantly it sealed, impervious to b.fluid or gas. I hope this post will help others in the future. k

Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
thanks for the tip!

i had that problem once and no matter what i did i couldn't get the darn washer to seal.

then i took it off and flipped it around, and for some reason that did the trick. been dry ever since, but nice to know of other options!

thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Elliot Ness
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used them all over the Apache...

Look something like these...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Elliot Ness--

Thanks for posting that! That is exactly it! I swear by them now. 'Static seals,' I believe.

*Side note: I've noticed that since chain auto parts stores like A.Zone and O'Reilley's are doing away with fitting assortments and bolt and nut bins and the like, a need for small businesses who sell such items is growing.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 AM
psychlopath
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have several different names for 'em, but you DO need to be careful which ones you buy. You can see by the picture posted above that there are several different colors out there; If you get an actual aviation one, you'll need to make 100% sure it's compatible with whichever fluid you intend for it to have contact with.

Some are for engine oil; all of those that I've seen are black. They should be OK with just about anything in our trucks, but some of them are grey, red or whatever color. If you were to get one that is designed for a modern phosphate-ester hydraulic fluid, like Skydrol, it would swell to obscene proportions on contact with standard mineral oils and probably eventually decompose.

The metal the washer is made up of can also vary from super squishy aluminum to cadmium plated stainless.

Any of the generic ones you get from an auto place should be A-OK for anything inside a vehicle, though.

This chart is a handy little reference for them:

Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co

But that only works for ones meeting the NAS specification and likely wouldn't help for ones that Jegs sells

If you decide to use one of these things, make sure to log what part number you use and buy a few extra so you can have replacements down the line; you shouldn't re-use these.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
Originally Posted by psychlopath
They have several different names for 'em, but you DO need to be careful which ones you buy. You can see by the picture posted above that there are several different colors out there; If you get an actual aviation one, you'll need to make 100% sure it's compatible with whichever fluid you intend for it to have contact with.

Some are for engine oil; all of those that I've seen are black. They should be OK with just about anything in our trucks, but some of them are grey, red or whatever color. If you were to get one that is designed for a modern phosphate-ester hydraulic fluid, like Skydrol, it would swell to obscene proportions on contact with standard mineral oils and probably eventually decompose.

The metal the washer is made up of can also vary from super squishy aluminum to cadmium plated stainless.

Any of the generic ones you get from an auto place should be A-OK for anything inside a vehicle, though.

This chart is a handy little reference for them:

Genuine Aircraft Hardware Co

But that only works for ones meeting the NAS specification and likely wouldn't help for ones that Jegs sells

If you decide to use one of these things, make sure to log what part number you use and buy a few extra so you can have replacements down the line; you shouldn't re-use these.
x2 on this

Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 AM
76WYOF250
New User
I work at a caterpillar dealer and call them seal washers. We get them in most standard sizes. I've been using them on my engine oil drain plugs for years never had a plug leak since!

Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 AM
Elliot Ness
Freshman User
Because I am the new guy I am going to get extra info. I am an A&P mechanic and can tell you that any of the "PRESSURE SEALING WASHERS" (REAL NAME) that are red or black should give you no issues on a modern vehicle. Blue however is primarily fuel and if I started posting diagrams of the colored dashes on the black O-rings you would get a headache. So to make life easier on everyone, here is where to get them from. They have brick and mortar stores as well, possibly in your area

McMaster-Carr

Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Elliot Ness
We used them all over the Apache...

Look something like these...

Common in automotive AC systems , and diesel fuel line fittings . I use them for drain plug gaskets also I have a selection in my parts box at work .