General Automotive Discussion

Problems and question about vehicle transfer from California to Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 PM
El Campo
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problems and question about vehicle transfer from California to Texas

I recently bid on and won a new Super Duty on eBay from California. The seller required a 1500 dollar deposit and then "the balance is due in 3 days unless other arrangements are made". I paid the 1500 through Paypal and then I attempted to get ahold of the seller via messaging on eBay. 30 hours later he still had not answered so I called the number in the ad. I spoke to the seller and he said he would message me wire information for the rest of money. While I was waiting for this message I went and talked to my loaning credit union. They attempted to get ahold of him while I was sitting there without success (and left a message). They wanted to talk to him about how he would accept payment, etc. 2 more days passed and finally I called the credit union back to see what was going on. They tell me they cannot get ahold of the guy. I start calling the seller myself and tell him that he has to call my credit union so we can get the show on the road. Another two days pass before he finally gets ahold of them. My banker had never been involved in a transfer from a vehicle from California to Texas so she called my county tax office to find out what was all needed. When the seller finally contacted the banker she informed him that he had to send a copy of the title (apparently a common practice). It took him 3 days to get it faxed over and then when it arrived his name is not anywhere on the title! Nothing is signed on the back of the title anywhere either. He claims he has a bill of sale but the truck has never been in his name. He also claims that he has a dealer license but does not want to sell the vehicle through his dealer license. All of this sounded fishy to the banker so she asked if she could have a representative from my tax office call him to discuss what was needed to legally transfer a vehicle to me here in Texas. He was very reluctant but finally agreed. Now he will not answer or call the tax lady back. This all happened today. Now right after that I start getting messages about how "we have to get this figured out and I cant get ahold of your credit union" and demanding payment. Talked to banker after this and she is vehement that she has talked to him and he just doesn't like what he is hearing. What do I do!!!!!!!??? Can I back out at this time and get my money back through PayPal or from American Express (I used AMEX to make deposit in case something shady occured). Or does this guy sound legitimate? I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE in Texas that you cannot sell a vehicle that does not have your name on title without being a dealer. Is California more lenient on this (highly doubtful)?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like he is skipping the title to avoid paying taxes, which is illegal at least here. Also sounds like he is screwing around long enough that it will be hard to get your $1500 back because it will be over 30 days. Personally I wouldn't bother and would open a complaint with ebay, especially if the truck was said to have a clear title.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM
polarbear87
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you payed him through paypal, open a case there and tell them it's a fraud and open a case there, then they can undo the transaction and give you ur money back.