1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Back Up Aid menu option disappeared

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM
McKG66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Up Aid menu option disappeared

I have read a lot of threads and yet to find this issue.

2004 EB Expy, 5.4, 160K miles, Pioneer AVIC-D3 (if i remember corectly) Nav/xm/cd/etc.

Reverse sensing system HAS worked in the past WITH the Pioneer stereo system. I HAVE backup sensors (4) and bought 2 new replacements. Swapped the 2 in and out of all 4 positions. System still doesn't work.

And then.....While reasearching further... I discovered or better yet, was reminded of the "Back Up Aid" <ON> OFF menu selection in the Message Center.

Here's the kicker, It's gone/ missing/ not there. My message center steps through Auto Locks, Easy Exit, Autolamp, English, Units, Press Reset for Sys Check. Doesn't show Back Up Aid!

I'm not sure if it ever was in the menu but, why wouldn't it be? I have Reverse Sensors/ Back Up Aid system. I never had a reason to cycle through the menu because I'm 1 gazillion³ % positive the system worked in the past. Even my wife wanted me to fix it because she became so dependant on it.

Where did it go? What am I missing to find it? How do I get it back?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
It only shows up in the menu when you are in reverse if memory serves me correctly. You can't go into the menu and directly enable / disable it as I wanted to do when I was towing a trailer, you have to be in reverse for it to show up on the message center.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 AM
McKG66
New User
Nope. Not there. Tried P, R, N, D, L.... cycles throught the menu the same.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Odd, becuase if there is an issue with it not working it will show that in the message center also. It vanished.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
McKG66
New User
Not even the service department could answer the question, Where is it? without "hooking it up to the (?acronym?).

Now I'm wondering if I connect my OBDII code reader if it will show anything about it.

Something has taken it out of the system. I found the PAM and speaker, unplugged and plugged the connectors. thought maybe the ECM wasn't seeing a PAM.

How much to have my ECM reflashed?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Do your backup lights come on? If the DTR sensor is broken then the system is never told the truck is in reverse. Just a thought.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
McKG66
New User
DTR sensor??

Yes, reverse lights on. I haven't changed bulbs or even removed the tail light assy's. I can't think of anything that changed during the time I noticed that it quit working. I just automatically went to the sensors based on internet researching.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by McKG66
DTR sensor?
Digital Transmission Range sensor. It's Ford's glorified version of a combination neutral safety and backup light switch down on the tranny..

Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Is there a switch to shut it off? If so, does it have a led that comes on if it is shut off? Just asking because on the wife's 03 Explorer it is hidden behind the steering wheel. The light comes on currently in her explorer until I have a chance to replace a sensor.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 AM
McKG66
New User
Originally Posted by c_hohensee
Is there a switch to shut it off? If so, does it have a led that comes on if it is shut off? Just asking because on the wife's 03 Explorer it is hidden behind the steering wheel. The light comes on currently in her explorer until I have a chance to replace a sensor.
Can you take a picture of this switch and light and post it?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
My wife has it with her in IL so not available for photo. It is a rocker switch just to the left of the steering column with the led built into it.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
McKG66
New User
Thanks, but no.

What you describe sounds like an aftermarket install of the reverse sensor system.

My issue is that the option of BACK UP AID <ON>/OFF, is no longer listed in the MESSAGE SYSTEM.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Remind yourself that you are looking for something you are not positive existed in the first place. I follow your reasoning for starting with the menu, but think you can look beyond a "disable function" selection that isn't there as the cause of the problem.

Do you have continuity in the Back up Aid system? Ten year old exposed wiring and connections could be at fault here.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
McKG66
New User
I understand what you are saying....maybe I'm not being clear enough.

I really apreciate the inputs because sometimes it takes a second (or third) set of eyes to see it.

I am positive to the nTh degree that the system worked. I have had this truck for 7 years. As soon as it quit 'beeping' while backing up to another car, (not touching and never crashed) I started looking for answers. Common resolve was to start swapping out sensors. *check*

Didn't go any further until now. This is when I discovered the missing menu option.

I am a car/truck garage DIY'er, mechanically inclined. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc, etc.

Somewhere, at sometime, the menu option in the MESSAGE CENTER for

BACK UP AID
<on> <on> ON OFF</on></on>

went missing from the menu. Stands to reason that It had to be there if the system is factory installed. All the correct factory pieces are there in place, right where the "map" says they should be.

I can't check a system that isn't activated by a menu option that isn't there.

-The fuse is good. *check*
-Reverse lights ON. *check*
-Wiring still plugged into PAM and reseated. *check*
-KOEO. doors closed, backed up within 3' of a wall, 2 new sensors installed/ swapped in and out of all 4 positions, ....

Still do not have BACK UP AID listed in the MESSAGE CENTER so I can't RE-activate the system.

It was working just before the winter season of 2013-14.

Q. Where did it go?
A. Who knows

Q. How do I get it back?
A. ???

Q. Is it only visable in the menu if the PAM is functional?
A. Has to be working to check this. Someone with a working one could unplug it and see if the menu option vanishes. Volunteers?? Probably not, but hey, doesn't hurt to ask.

Q. Is the menu option reprogrammable into the MESSAGE CENTER somehow? via the ECM maybe?
A.???

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
It is definitely a factory system!

Quick Reply: Back Up Aid menu option disappeared